summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Monday, July 21, 2014

our new deck and pergola reveal


Hi everyone.  I hope you are all enjoying this month of July.  I can't believe how fast it is going can you?  My sister arrived last Wednesday night and we spent the weekend visiting our brother.   We even got in a birthday celebration for three of us who celebrate July birthdays.  Of four kids, the 3 youngest were all born in July within a week and within 3 years.  (our poor mother!)  Sister and I will be running the roads, as they say, so I wanted to share our new deck with you before the summer was gone.  I sure hope we get some deck time in the next month!   Busy, busy, busy!!!

So....grab an iced tea, or cold lemon water as this is a lengthy post.  Our new deck build was a major project this spring and now that it is completed we are enjoying it immensely.  There is still a bit of work to be done in the yard (maybe a lot!) like building a new stone path from the deck stairs to the garage but, that's not interfering our enjoyment one bit.  Come and sit a spell.  We can chat, take a nap, read a book, enjoy breakfast, lunch and supper outside, listen to the birds and enjoy the view.

The old deck.  April 2014


And....our new deck.

It took a whole month but it sure is worth it!!


Our son, Mark, and our contractor, Shannon, started to take down our old deck on May 28, 2014.  
This deck was built of pressure treated wood and was on poured cement posts in the ground.  Living  in Canada we endure severe freeze/thaw conditions every winter and spring which cause the deck foundations to heave.  This deck shook a lot and was heaved badly.  The railings were loose and the decking was done with nails that popped up to be tripped on or to snag a snow shovel on. 

This deck was built in the 1990's and replaced the first deck Murray built, but, it was really way too small.  There was room for a small round table and 2 chairs, the barbecue and 2 lawn chairs to relax in.  Very cramped and not really usable.  We couldn't entertain on it as there just wasn't room for more than 6 people.  The jog in the deck is where the stairs turned down which took up more floor space.  It was time for it to go.   




We worked with a local contractor who designs and builds decks etc.  He was so good to work with and drew up plans on his computer for us.  We were very pleased with his work ethic and craftsmanship.  In the above photo our son, Mark, who has his own business of installing screw piles into the ground for foundations for decks, etc., is running his excavator and Shannon is guiding the pile as it goes in.  That's our neighbour watching.  These piles aren't going to move like the cement ones and they can be adjusted if need be.  Mark installed 12 piles under the posts of our new deck.

Here they are levelling the piles.  The square cement with the metal sticking up is the base for Murray's old Ham Radio tower which had to come down to make room for the deck.  :)

Here we are on June 7.  It's starting to take shape.  The posts are all 6"square.  I wanted to save the hydrangea bush so we trimmed it on the side next to the deck.  It's already grown and filled out since this photo and will have to be trimmed again.  Maybe we'll move it some day but I like it there.  We may skirt the deck base with deck boards some day but will wait to see how it goes this winter.  It would make the basement rooms dark if it's skirted.

June 17 ~ the pergola roof, decking and part of the railings are complete.  Shannon shaped the knee braces on the pergola top and used a router to shape the pergola cross pieces.

June 30 ~ All done!  The pergola had been stained but the uprights and top rails on the rest needed to be done.  Murray finished the staining last week.  The floor will be done in September.  Hopefully we'll get some nice sunny and dry days in a row to do it.  We used Cabot Australian Timberwood Oil in natural cedar.  The bulasters are powder coated aluminum.  


The pergola is set out from the rest of the deck to give it some 'character'.  We had talked of putting a pergola on the ground level with stairs going down from the deck but Shannon suggested this idea and we are so glad we went with it.  He said we might not use the pergola as much if we had to step down further to it.  I think he's right.  Plus, it's wheel chair accessible from the kitchen door for when we get older.  Ha ha ha.  (that's what Murray says)   The style of the pergola is post and beam and it's very rugged and sturdy.  It definitely will do us out!

This is looking from the pergola to the other part of the deck.  The measurement of the main deck is 24 feet long by 14 feet wide, not counting the stairs.  The pergola part is 14' x 12'.   It's huge!!  We can definitely have a party on this now.  There is lots of room for a larger dining table and chairs plus seating in the pergola for more than four and room in between the two as well.


And, this is looking the other way.  The furniture isn't new or fancy....it'll do though....for now.  I'd like to have a rustic wood dining table and chairs out there and two more Adirondack chairs.  The green ones are beautiful but need re-staining so I have to figure out a colour for them.  I really like vintage furniture and colours, like the old green blue colour but I don't know if stain comes in that colour.  The zero gravity chairs are really comfy for snoozing.  :)  The plastic Adirondack chairs will go out by the fire pit if we can find new ones.   Maybe next year.


The pergola gives dappled shade and we always have a nice breeze here so it really is ideal for sitting out there even on a hot day.  We've had breakfast out there and sit out on the mild evenings and enjoy the fireflies.  We hope to add some LED lighting soon.

The view from the back yard.  You can see that the staining is nearly done on the uprights.  The base posts still need to be done, probably this weekend.  We will be enjoying this deck for a very long time.  It's like a second room (a space for me to decorate) and increases our outdoor living space a lot!  I even enjoy looking out the windows at it.  

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to include everything from start to finish.  I am looking forward to many fine weather days out there in the years to come.  

Thanks for visiting!  Have a wonderful week.  I will try to get some visits in soon.  I am not even going to link this to any memes as I just don't have the time to keep up with it.  Plus, I have had so many spam (advertising) comments the past 3 weeks it's getting beyond ridiculous.  I don't want to revert to word verification so if anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.  Thanks.

Blessings,

Pamela


44 comments:

  1. Wow that looks a whole lot different to the old one. A much nicer one to chill out on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's a great deck! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning Pamela...You must be in 7th heaven...what an enormous project but boy what a beautiful end result...this is absolutely gorgeous and so perfect for enjoying the summer months...I think I might be tempted to get a nice comfy hammock out there, grab a pillow and spend a few of those hot summer nights sleeping outdoors. It looks like the perfect spot for lots and lots of rest and relaxation. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow...your new deck/pergola is awesome, Pam! I can imagine the enjoyment your family will get from this lovely, useful space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so very nice. How fun to be able to sit out on it and enjoy your vision of this space.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really love it Pamela! Sturdy for many years of outdoor and enjoyment, it adds so much to your lovely house and will be well used I'm certain. Will you grow some climbers up the pergola - know you require something that would over-winter in your climate - but of course you could always do pots of vines such as Morning Glories in the warmer months.

    Great job - those guys really knew how to build a topnotch structure - it's fabulous.

    Happy Summer days outdoors dear.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. it is really, really beautiful! love the pergola area!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful deck and arbor. Can't wait to see it with vines growing if that is part of your plan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks beautiful! I've been anxious to see these photos and hubby and I will look at them together later. We sure need something like this in our courtyard. I have all of my comments come into my email and I publish them from there. I get WAY too many spam comments to allow them to go directly to my blog. It's a nuisance....THEY are a nuisance! Have a wonderful day! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's just fabulous! I'm sure you will clock many happy hours out there. It's really nice to be related to someone who knows how to operated heavy equipment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure do love your new deck and that Pergola makes it perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful transformation, Pamela. The guys did a great job and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing the progress being made. I completely agree about the pergola placement adding character to the deck. I also LOVE the p.c. aluminum balusters. I think that adds even more "character". I've never seen that done before. It really looks lovely.
    I had to laugh at your comment about it being a new room to decorate. We are in the final stages of our new patio and I had that exact same thought :).
    Have a wonderful visit with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks fabulous! You have got to be thrilled! We treat our porches as additional rooms. I know that you will get a ton of use out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam, it looks AWESOME!!!!! Bet it is a whole new living space...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your new deck and pergola are wonderful, Pamela. I hope you get lots of enjoyment out of them. It really looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Woo hoo! Love it as much as I'm sure you do. Enjoy some great gatherings out there this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh it's beautiful! Hope that you have lots of happy get-togethers out there. You already have it decorated so nice...I'd happily sit out there and while away an hour or two.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh it is beautiful you are going to enjoy that for sure when you find the time.HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY birthday (that was three right?:)) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pamela, It looks wonderful and I love the color you stained it! I hope you get to slow down and enjoy time out there! My sister is coming soon and we will be going to my brother's for the weekend! Sound familiar? It's also my birthday later this month. Happy Birthday to you! The spam keeps coming since I took off comment moderation. Or course it stopped while I had it on. If you get a solution let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is beautiful and I know you will enjoy it so much. I enjoyed the photos very much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What an improvement. The patio and pergola are beautiful, and you are right; you will be spending a lot if time there. Please let is know how you add your lighting. Won't that be pretty at night?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how pretty. We had our deck built 3 summers ago and it still thrills me each time I look at it - or use it. We have a ramp which was built for me - but it is surprising how many people have mentioned how much they appreciate the ramp too. I have done a lot of flower gardening on the deck - and decorating - and even have two cherry tomatoes growing and producing little tomatoes - a deck is a wonderful addition!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hello Pamela, Your new deck is beautiful....but I especially love, love the pergola!!!!!! I have always thought they were so nice. My sister had one on her deck and it was great for keeping the deck cooler and sitting under it was amazing. I know you will be so happy with this new addition. AND ....you are right...it is like an extra room on your home for the warmer months. We use our patio everyday in the summer for all kind of things that I normally do in the kitchen plus ..some reading!!!!! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, Pamela, it is just fabulous!
    The rich wood with the black iron make a beautiful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful house you have! The deck is the icing on the cake. I'll call in next time we are passing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. well worth all the work. It's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow! I am so impressed...it looks great! :)
    -- Island of Peace

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, Pam! Your new deck is absolutely gorgeous! Everyone did a fantastic job in planning and building it and I can only imagine how much you'll be enjoying it for years to come. It makes so much sense to have all of the outdoor space to enjoy, especially with your views.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  29. It is beautiful!!! Obviously a huge amount of work and probably a fair bit of disruption, but well well worth it I would say. I love the pergola area and how it is sort of separate but not. It really suits your house and all of your furniture looks lovely. I hope that you have some great times sitting out there over the summer just the two of you and with all your guests and friends. I definitely think that a deck warming party is required at some point! xx

    ReplyDelete
  30. Now I REALLY like your deck! Very nice pergola and railings done that way. And a great post telling the whole story. We're just beginning the busy part off our summer, though it's going to be a patio and such rather then a deck.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your new deck is amazing Pam ... so much more room. I love, love, love the pergola. I'm sure you are enjoying the lazy summer days and evenings out there now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is something!! Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You are really going to enjoy this beautiful deck and pergola!

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh, Pam ... i am late to the pergola party. oh, i love it!! so fun. my parents have a very similar outdoor deck - i love it. great for catching birds & other creatures flying in. they have hummingbird right now. due to all their flowers. the butterfly bush they really love. i hope you will get a chance to have folks over & use it to the limits. fun, fun, fun!! have a great week. take care. big big hugs. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh how lovely! It was sure worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is one beautiful deck! I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Very nice, and inviting. You'll enjoy it a lot, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  38. VERY wonderful Pamela . . . sit back and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  39. All I can say is gorgeous and please forgive my envy,.. smile. xo

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, I think you will use the deck a LOT! I love the pergola on it!

    ReplyDelete
  41. It's wonderful, Pam, so spacious and a great design. I hope you get a lot of good use out of it, with beautiful weather.

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  42. I'm just getting around to you today, imagine that.... I love your deck and I can imagine many evenings, friends, and food and family being out there - love the idea of the gate before the steps that would be the second thing I'd think of after saving my little bushes, lol. It all looks so wonderful you are a lucky lady to have such a beautiful sitting spot. Ok, mom was busy and imagine cloth diapering and laundry as well, such a great month to celebrate birthdays together. hugs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...