summer 2016

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

if a tree falls in the forest....


....does anyone hear?


This is one of thousands of trees that fell to Tropical Storm Arthur this past July here in New Brunswick.


We're back on the beaver pond trail with a few more pictures continued from my previous post.
You can see the trees that blew over in a large swath in this section.  It was incredible to see!

Trees were either snapped off or were uprooted from the shallow soil.  Sometimes it was a domino effect where one tree would take out a lot more.  There is a lot of clean up to do.





This is the new footbridge across the pond.  It was installed earlier this summer and is on pontoon floats.  It's a bit wonky in one spot tipping toward the water but not too bad to cross on foot.  We came from the other side in this photo.  This trail is supposed to be wheelchair accessible but I think more work will have to be done on it after the storm and the bridge will have to be adjusted too to make it passable for a wheelchair.

I think this is my favourite photo of that day.  I love the colours in it and the patch of blue sky that reflected in the water.  The sun never did shine though.

I may have shared a photo of this tree one other time but it's till hanging on to the rock while others are leaning terribly or have fallen over.  

So cool.  Like a big claw.  

Last picture.  (thanks for hanging in there with me)   Have a seat!  Someone cut this tree that had fallen across the path into chunks and lined them up.  As I said, there is still a lot of clean up to do.  We had a nice walk but I was happy to get into the car with the heat on as I was so cold.  Fall is here.


~~~~~~~~~~~



Yes, I got my pickles made today.  The house smells so good!  It's not a big batch but enough to do us the next year.  We don't eat them with every meal after all.  

Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments.  And welcome to my new followers too!  It's so nice to have you along.  Have a great day!

Blessings,
Pam

26 comments:

  1. Wonderful photos ! There was a farmer at the top of our valley that was cutting trees down in the forest below and I heard it snap creak as it was falling and thud so maybe yes I would say if your in the area to hear it lol ! I love walking through the forest or conservation forests so much to see and take photos of ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo's Pamela! I don't know the answer to that one, it's an age old question!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mustard pickles - love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful scenery. I see touches of leaves turning and I can imagine the mountain beauty as the colors change. Nature is a powerful force. Do your mountain trees suffer from the pine beetle? Beautiful photos today. Pickles look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Pam I LOVE every pic and I think you do hear those trees fall we had an icestorm here in 1998 and we are still cleaning up the damage it did to our bush. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure that the forest creatures, heard much noise, when that storm blew through... :-(((

    Pine trees around here, seem to have shallow root systems. And thus, can be rather fragile, in storm situations.

    Love the photo of the tree, which seems to be "sitting" on that rock... Happily growing there. I'm new here, so have not seen you post it, before.

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing how many trees are down there. It is such a sad thing. Hopefully there won't be any major storms coming through this year. One can always hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sad so many trees were lost. love the one gripping the rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your favourite photo, Pamela! A lovely place for a stroll. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are really interesting photos. It reminds me of the ice storm we had here last March....many, many trees were lost and it seemed to take forever for the clean up. The shot of the blue "hole" in the sky reflecting on the pond is really cool...and I have never seen anything like the tree holding on for dear life to that rock...that's one for the books!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Firewood for someone I hope!
    That is truly a neat site with the root like claws hanging onto the rock.
    What kind of pickles, Pamela?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Up in the Adirondacks of New York State we call that a "blow down" and you are right - it is incredible ! We saw it about 10 years ago and what a sight! Your pics are wonderful. Pickles look wonderful and will be tasty when the snow is flying!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely photos, Pamela. I especially like the one of the tree hanging on to the rock. It is as if it is saying "try your best, but I'm not going down". :)
    xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your favourite photo is really lovely. The tenacity of the tree roots hanging onto the rock is amazing. What a gorgeous place to walk. Hard to believe you are getting so chilled on walks already. Fall is definitely in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Have I ever said . . . to you . . . lovely photos my dear!
    I think the tree with the roots around the huge rock s priceless . . .
    The destruction a storm can do to the land, trees and such is brutal.
    Sometimes I wonder if it is the way of nature . . .
    New growth seems to emerge from the loss . . .

    ReplyDelete
  16. A nice place for a walk and your favourite photo is very nice. Talk about a lasting relationship between a rock and a tree! This is a great photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We were over there the other day. It's one of my favourite places to walk. We did see 2 beavers working industriously--A sign of an early winter? I sure hope not. Love your photos Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That storm did a lot of damage! Wow. The pond is beautiful and I love that bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i think they always can be heard. i love the fingers (roots) of that one tree. so amazing! what a gorgeous park. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow-amazing! Love your beautiful photos :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sad about the trees..and love the claw. :)
    I wish I had a jar of those good lookin' pickles....my mama used to make them, too. I've never tried but maybe I will ....someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. The devastation looks like what Stanley Park in Vancouver suffered through also. It's sad how that happens...but nature must be able to deal with it, because she always bounces back.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Pam. It seems like this poor world just can't escape some kind of devastation. I agree that the picture you like is my favorite too. Such a beautiful spot..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pam, what a lot of devastation along a path a storm can leave. I don't remember seeing the pic of the tree rooted around the rock before but then that is one of the nice things about growing older, you can view things as a first time always. Well today we are getting on the road and back to a little R & R and B & T.... b&t, lol blogging with tablet. See you next time I have internet, hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely walk in the forest! You have to admire the tenacity of the one tree that grows despit the huge boulder. And I like all of the stumps lined up, ready for sitting duty. I can see that fall is arriving there!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've seen damage like that on more of a localized scale with the aftermath of a tornado in the woods. Here and there you'd see clearings where swaths of trees had been slammed down.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...