summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Friday, October 3, 2014

a drive to Maine, part 1




The view of the St. John River at Mactaquac, NB.  I opened my window and shot a few moving pictures.  This was the best one with just a few weeds in the way.  :)  There were many sailboats out as well as motor boats on this hot summery day.  (it was almost 30C or 90F)  We almost bought that house on the other shore when we got married.  sigh   What a gorgeous spot, but a LOT of lawn to mow!  


Lots of colour along a rock cut on the Trans Canada Highway.


Last Sunday afternoon after church we decided to go for a drive 'up river' and maybe cross over into Maine.  With passports in my purse, just in case, we headed up the Trans Canada Highway (TCH) admiring the autumn colours along the way.  We stopped at Murray's (not my Murray) Restaurant which is a big truck stop near Woodstock for a hearty breakfast at 1:30 then headed on our way crossing the border at Houlton, Maine.   Our first stop was Walmart to buy filters for the car.  Yes, they are cheaper there.  :)   Then we headed up Route 1 toward Mars Hill.


along the TCH

This is one of the most beautiful views along the St. John River.  It's too bad there isn't a pull over there so people can take pictures safely.  I manage to take a couple through the car window.  It's so gorgeous, especially in the fall.  Do you see the boats on the river?


A view of the hills and 4 lane TCH.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Mars Hill, Maine

This is Mars Hill with it's wind turbines.  It was a really windy day and the turbines were turning but I thought they might be going faster than they were.  The brown ground is a harvested potato field.  Potato farming is big in this part of Maine and New Brunswick.

Downtown views and the ever present views of the turbines on the hill.  We gassed up in the town and Murray got directions on how to get closer to the turbines so we took some back roads with gorgeous views all around.

Do you see the row of cabins right of centre in the photo?  They are for rent and the view to the west is gorgeous.  I thing they're called "My Little Sunset Cabins" on the sign.

Okay.  This is getting a little long so just 3 more pictures and I'll save the rest for another post.

We came across a pumpkin patch.




 If you'd like to see these windmills from the New Brunswick side go to my post of April, 2013 
right here when we took an early spring drive.

That's it for today.  I hope you enjoyed our drive to Maine so far.  I'll finish off on Monday.
It's the weekend and I hope you all have an enjoyable one.  It looks like a rainy weekend for us.  

Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment.  I appreciate each one of you that follows and reads my blog.  

Blessings,
Pam





31 comments:

  1. You are lucky to be able to cross into Maine on a Sunday drive Pam. The view of the St. John river is breathtaking and the field of pumpkins a sure sign of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been to Maine for a few years but it is only a 4 hour drive south of me so we should really should go for a weekend. Looks like a great trip from your direction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sunday drives...thanks for the beautiful photos of your day away. We go to the St. Croix often...on the Maine side in Calais and it is one of the most beautiful drives between Calais and Eastport. Glad you had a beautiful Fall day and if we had our passports we'd be crossing over to Canada too...gotta' get those passports soon. Thanks for sharing your Sunday. - Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. The marinates in the fall are truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely...

    Except for those ding-dang wind mills. Didn't Spain have to get rid of them, a while ago? Do they really, really, really help the people, whose natural view, is forever spoiled?

    OK, not supposed to say this sort of thing, in comments.

    Beautiful trip and I so wish we could do things like this, again. :-)

    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never been to the East Coast, but we do know of it's spectacular fall beauty. Your photos are gorgeous and if they don't put one into the mood for Autumn, then nothing will.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I loved tagging along for the ride Pamela! Isn't is lovely? Winter will be blowing in all too soon up there! Enjoy your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved going along on your journey. I was beautiful and scenic and the Autumn colors were breathtaking. I loved the pumpkin patch photo. Something about pumpkin patches is so cool. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure did! That's a beautiful drive (except for those ugly wind turbines)... LOL! I remember telling you that before and I think I shocked you. Hope that the color lasts and lasts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. not enough words to describe the beauty. Fabulous images Pam.

    A beautiful drive through gorgeous scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  11. how pretty! potatoes and pumpkins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic photos ! We have lots of the big windmills here to they are huge ! I love the countryside with all the colours this time of year ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maine is gorgeous. we have been there several times. a must see if you ever have been there. for sure. hope you got a few pumpkins. ( :

    i really enjoy the shot of the windmills and the pumpkins. so pretty. fall-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the drive to Maine, so enjoyed the windmills and even though the cabins look like little minitures, I can imagine the view if it is anything like your photos it must be beautiful. I drove past a pumpkin patch like this and wondered if all the vines are picked up and the pumpkins are left for U-pick or to make it easier, I wonder. Have a wonderful weekend

    ReplyDelete
  15. So neat to see these pictures taken by someone from outside. I am from Mars Hill. I live on the other end of the mountain from where you took your drive. The windmills are something that grow on you. 17 of them are on my families property. People drive miles to see them. Can't imagine our mountain without them

    ReplyDelete
  16. Also we own a home right below the mactaquac damn which is where my husband is from

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spectacular views! I've been in the area before; I should get out there again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So beautiful!!! The tree colours are amazing and I love the pumpkin patches too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pam, you captured such fall beauty! Especially love that river view taken from the car. What a drive! So much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam, you captured such fall beauty! Especially love that river view taken from the car. What a drive! So much beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great job through a car window, lady!!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh how lucky you are to live so close. Haven't been to the New England states for years. Love the pic! Have a great weekend make the best of it even though it's rainy.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your photos take my breath away! We have traveled into up state NY several times in the Fall and the Fall colors are always breathtaking. I would love to drive all the way to Maine! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely pics. The colours are so pretty right now. We, too have taken a few drives and enjoyed the scenery. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. How beautiful! Love the colors! I know some people don't like wind turbines, but from a photography standpoint, I think they're cool.

    ReplyDelete
  26. The colourful Trans Canada Highway took you to beautiful Maine, where orange polka dotted pumpkin patches are pure eye candy for the wide eyed tourist! Gorgeous images, Pam. Thanks for sharing and happy weekend!

    xx
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  27. HI Pamela,
    Thanks for sharing the photos of the windmills at Mars Hill; I've heard a lot about them but have never been in that part of Maine to see them. It's so much f=more rural there than where we are in Southern Maine. It looks as if you had nice weather for your trip.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh, that was a wonderful drive that you took us on! The colors are spectacular, and I really got a kick out of seeing the pumpkin patches.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fun Sunday drive. There's so much colour in your part of the world come autumn. The blue river with the bands of autumn trees - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  30. From pumpkin patches to turbines to a circus of autumn colours...you took us on a lovely drive! Beautiful pic's.

    Mars Hill? There is a Mars Hill in Seattle...at least there is a Mars Hill Church.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...