summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

fall colour in our yard




Looking out our living room window.

Fall is really moving along isn't it?  Well, fall will be here until just before Christmas but, the fall colours are what is really moving along.  The leaves are changing so fast and dropping like confetti at a wedding, carpeting the ground in crunchy colour.

This is our neighbour's backyard.  The big maple tree on the right is ours and so are all the leaves on the ground.  :)  Murray actually 'raked' them all up with the mower Monday evening but the ground is littered again as it was very windy yesterday.

And this is the culprit!  It was looking so beautiful but now it's getting pretty bare.

This is looking out our driveway.  We have 4 maple trees across the front by the road and the one by the garage at the side of the house.  They sure do shed a lot of leaves!!

My favourite fall colours.

There have been a lot of bees around of different types.  I don't know one bee from another.  Some are huge and lazy just sitting on the mums for hours and others are flitting about from bloom to bloom.   I counted 30 bees on the sedum one evening.

We had a good rain on Sunday.  I took this photo as it was starting to clear up a bit.
You can see that the garden is about cleaned out.  I finished pulling the onions and carrots on Monday afternoon.  Not a huge haul - about a half a pail of each - but we also have been eating them all along.  The green bushes that you see are marigolds and the rest of the green is those awful weeds!!  



Oh, and we got 7 very small squash and about a dozen small beets.  It was a rather dry summer I think and maybe we should have fertilized more but it was nice to grow our own veggies for the first time and we learned a lot.  Like.... not to plant lettuce or squash and cucumbers and peppers.  LOL  I think the garden will be half the size next year! 

Our front porch is looking very colourful still.  I think the annuals will still be blooming through Thanksgiving this weekend.

These two young fellas were passing through one morning at sunrise.  I often see several deer wandering across the field in the morning and evening.  Down the road there is a doe and triplets that I see a lot, usually trying to cross the road.

We've had some foggy mornings the past few weeks including this one above with the golden sun.

That's our yard so far this October.  I expect in two weeks or less the trees will be bare and the colourful flowers will be frost bitten.  It's been a beautiful summer and fall so far.

I am adding one more photo that isn't in our yard.  My sister let me share this one.  This was their view on Sunday after the rain stopped.  Thanks Pat and Richard.  :)

Isn't this beautiful?  It's along the Miramichi River.


Are you finished with your summer gardens?  It's kind of nice to take a break once it's all done but I'll be looking forward to next spring when things start growing and blooming again.

Thanks for stopping by.  I hope you have a great day.

Blessings,
Pam


43 comments:

  1. Pam what beautiful settings.... I love them all! Fall is my favourite time of the year. Your views are spectacular.
    I'm with you there ...smaller garden next year...Oh well live and learn as they say. Cleaned out all the vegetables now to conquer the weeds.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful views, both of you have!!!

    Lovely, lovely, lovely scenes of Autumn.

    Mmmmm, what in the world, is that bee??? :-) Looks a wee bit, like a fuzzy caterpiller. ,-)

    Tessa~
    "Here there be musing" blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful place where you live. We had huge maple trees in our front yard when I was kid with leaves the size of my hands. I gather them up and put them in scrapbooks. We have mostly pine trees here, now. Previous owners didn't think to plant anything else. Yes, I am done with summer gardeining, but we do need to do some clean-up and I want to plant spring bulbs. The weather so far is holding. Don't you love these warm, golden days? Your new deck has a beautiful view; you must enjoy it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can hardly wait for all of that color you have right now to show up in Kentucky. I wished I had a garden here, but it's just not possible. I'm wondering if the deer eat at your veggies. You have such a beautiful area to photograph. Soon it will be covered in snow. I can't even imagine what kind of winter we're going to have. Take care. Carol

    PS I wished I could photos of the houses on Belgravia too but with the art fair booths set up all throughout it is almost impossible and no way to get a good photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pam! Oh, how gorgeously beautiful at your house! Your porch is looking so pretty too all dressed up in fall colors. Thank yo for sharing your sister's snap - beautiful! We're getting some pretty color too here in upstate New York! I just love it.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, absolutely beautiful of the glorious fall colors! Enjoyed all the photos, including the views from your living room window!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! I love the autumn colors, and sweater weather!! I really need to get posting again ! YIKES ! it is great seeing what you have been up to! Happy Fall!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful fall color. I think it often looks better in the rain or on a cloudy day. Somehow it stands out more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful photos ! You live a pretty spot ! It was raining for a few days here and now it is sunny chilly and very windy , some trees have changed and lost their leaves and some are just starting to change . Thanks for sharing , Have a good week !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely views! ...and I admire that last photo...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Still working on the garden clean up lol !

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color in the eastern part of the continent is superb, much more intense than anything we see. That line of autumn along the river in the photo from your sister's place is gorgeous.
    I've been working this week, but hopefully this afternoon or tomorrow I'll get out and pull up tomato and bean plants. It will be nice to take a break from gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love the colors of the northern autumn! miss that! also loved harvesting the last of the garden - usually carrots and potatoes. yum!

    thanks for sharing with those of us still in heat and humidity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't even started the garden clean-up...here or at the cottage!!
    It has been too wet...
    Love the look of your carrots...wish I had a place to have a veggie garden...would be too dry at the cottage during the week...
    Love your views...especially out your living room window...
    Boyfriend closing the pool today...cold and WINDY...leaves are everywhere!
    Enjoy your day...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pamela, Your photos are glorious......beautiful warm fall colors!! Yes, our garden is almost done. Just a row of carrots and a large round circle of marigolds that we have been picking from. Today Jim used the rototiller on it all and went to our friends farm up the road and got a couple of big truckloads of "fertilizer". As far as the flowerbeds, some things have been cut back but most flowers are still blooming. I have enjoyed so many flower bouquets. Sounds like you are enjoying the fall days. Good to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh so beautiful! Such vivid colors and that sky just be any bluer! Still waiting on some color around here...it's happening little by little. I realize I am just impatient :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I travelled your country in the fall, amazing colour we don't get the amount of colour you do as most of our gums are evergreen.
    Merle........................

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful fall in your area! No vegetable gardens here, just flower beds. Everything is done blooming. The hummingbirds are getting very, very scarce. We have one today that is feeding. They left last year on this date. So I except this little traveler will be on his way pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful pics, Pam... We did not get much garden produce as we were away all Summer and the weeds took over.. Thankful for farm markets, eh? Love love that last photo.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. You've got some beautiful color! I really like the photo of the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So many beautiful pictures!! You are so right about the leaves, and how is it that even when the trees seem to be bare more leaves just keep falling and falling! A long job for sure, but the colour from the leaves is worth it I think. xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely fall colours. The view from your deck is wonderful. My gardens are finished and now it will be time to evaluate what worked and what didn't and what changes will be made next year. It is really windy today and the leaves are flying past the window :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful Pam! I love fall for so many reasons but the visual scenes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely fall colors Pam! Can you believe I have not been out to take ONE fall photo yet?! Shame on me... Hopefully in the next few days....

    ReplyDelete
  25. The fall colors are beautiful there, Pam! I especially love the last one by your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very lovely photos, Pam! I love all the beautiful trees and seeing your gardens. What a treat to see the deer and that last shot from your sister is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, Pam....all your photos are sooo pretty. The colors...the leaves...the deer...and I love your back deck and it's pretty view.
    Thanks for coming over to see my red....

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's looking very beautiful there at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  29. All gorgeous views Pamela but I am really smitten with the one off your new deck. What a lovely view and I am sure you have no regrets about putting in that new deck!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. And what a gorgeous deck to view all that beauty from Pamela !!!
    We went for a walk yesterday to capture all that gorgeous color too ( haven't posted it yet ) today's for visiting bloglandia - would love to be sitting on that deck with a cup of tea!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful fall photos Pam! Maple leaves turn such pretty colours.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. The best colours! Gold against a crisp blue sky - the best colour combination. Your deck has the most perfect view :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your world is truly beautiful. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful indeed.. I love color and Fall can be so colorful and I am loving your photos.. my favorite is your last one too - wow beautiful..
    HUgs

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are way ahead of us in the color department Pamela and everywhere looks so beautiful.
    The thought of raking leaves does not sit well here - we have so many huge oaks. Right now the acorns are dropping on the roof like explosions, and they are dangerous when we're outside in the garden! I need a hard hat!
    Enjoy those lovely autumn days - it will be so pretty for Thanksgiving.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  37. Our colour is arriving at long last...but yours is truly amazing! Enjoy the season!

    ReplyDelete
  38. We do not see much in the way of fall leaves so I particularly enjoy looking at your beautiful surroundings.

    ReplyDelete
  39. You have the most beautiful back yard and your sister's photo is spectacular! Happy Fall! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my! The view from your living room window sure looks gorgeous. I love how the emerald greens are slowly transitioning to the gold and rust colors of the season. The maples in their fall colors are majestic to behold. Thank you for sharing those lovely pictures! I hope everyone is in the best of health this season!

    Mitchell Knapp @ Scenic Landscaping

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...