summer 2016

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

backyard wildlife






American Goldfinches

We've had a lot of action at the bird feeders the past few weeks.  I had missed the Goldfinches for a few weeks in the fall but they returned again.  These two feeders are hanging on the clothesline well out of reach of the squirrels.  I just reel it in and out to fill it.  It's fun to watch the squirrels trying to figure out how to get to it from the deck or the garage roof.  I think they got the hint but they still come around and scavenge on the ground and the deck.

The Mourning Doves stayed away most of the summer after the deck was built in June.  I think all the noise scared them off but they finally came back the past couple weeks and they also feed on the ground.  This one land on the picnic table on the deck the other day.  I think they are so pretty.

The Black Capped Chickadee is our New Brunswick provincial bird.  They love the black oil sunflower seeds and will toss the striped seed aside, which is great for the other birds and the squirrels.  I usually only buy black oil seeds but Murray got a mixed bag last season by mistake so I have to use it up.  I add a bit more black oil to the mix each time though.

American Goldfinches

I hung this feeder under the eave on Sunday about 5:00 where I usually hang one of the hummingbird feeders in front of the dining room window.  Five minutes later a chickadee flew in for a treat.  I was surprised as it was dusk and they were at the silo feeder too.  I took this the next day.

A Downey Woodpecker at the silo.  

And last, but not least ~ the big. grey. squirrel.


This guy was cute.  He was all over the deck cleaning up the seed on the floor and then once that was done he tried to figure out how to get up on the table.  He checked out many angles from the railing and the floor then all of a sudden.....he jumped right up on the table!  Needless to say he cleaned up the leftovers.


We also are seeing deer again.  It's rutting season and hunting season is over.  They are making their way across the hill at sunrise in this photo.


Today was beautiful and warm at 14C.  Even last night the temperature only went down to 11C.  It sure was mild for late November.  
This is the sunset tonight.  It all of a sudden got the deepest rose colour so I had to snap some pictures.  Spectacular!




Red sky at night won't be a sailor's delight tomorrow as a nor'easter is coming up the US coast and bringing heavy rain and wind to Nova Scotia and wind and lots of snow to New Brunswick.  We might get up to 25 cm. of snow by the time it blows by on Thursday.  

I'm doing much better today.  I even made 2 batches of cookies.  

I hope you're having a good week so far.  I know it's almost Thanksgiving in the US and many of you are really busy preparing for family and company and a big feast.  I hope you enjoy your time with family and friends.  Don't eat too much!  :-0}

Blessings,
Pam


21 comments:

  1. Beautiful birds, beautiful shots.... and such a devious rascal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you did have lots of bird action. the dove is so pretty and the chickadees are one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely shots. Keep warm during your nor'easter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post with such beautiful pictures. The squirrel looks as though he has been doing a good job of feeding himself up for the winter doesn't he. Glad to hear that you are doing well too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the chickadees. they make a beautiful tune and are too cute. i am glad you are making some cookies. do you share with your neighbor friends? i do that all the time. it is fun to see that you entertain lots of the same birds and creatures that we did as well.

    take care. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great shots, great post. Hope that squirrel stays away from your roof - they can cause real damage. Keep safe in the bad weather - make sure everyone wraps up warm. Oh - and I like your seasonal header!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your bird close ups . . . and I agree, I too think the Mourning Dove is pretty.

    I looked out at the feeders yesterday morning and the squirrels were invading the "squirrel proof feeder!" So out I went in the "white out" to bring the feeder inside to recharge the battery. This set me off in a cleaning of the feeders. We had had rain for a few days and although I had cleaned the feeders recently, they needed it again. Three hours later I was able to get back to the Thanksgiving cooking tasks at hand. Thank you for the wishes . . .

    Do you like your feeder with the little holes . . . I am wondering if that one would be a good addition!

    Happy news that you are feeling better . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your backyard view is prettier than mine but we do have the same animals and birds visiting. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your photos are amazing Pamela. The woodpecker is so pretty. We are in Maine for Thanksgiving. I hope the Nor'easter isn't as bad as they are predicting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. loved the sweet goldfinch butts. :) all of your birdie visitors and the plump, healthy varmint, too. :) beautiful skies. stay safe in the weather!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such beautiful wildlife! I'm so thankful your procedure worked and it is behind you. Glad you are feeling well and may it never return!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great pictures all. I wish we got goldfinches down here in Florida. Such beautiful, cute little birds. I see chickadees quite often...start sounding like a little girl with every sighting.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic photos ! Our birdies have been in hiding that past two days due to the wind storms we just had but today all is calm and they are out filling their faces lol ! Our weather seems to be calm for the rest of the week and some sunshine here and there temps seem pleasant to and all our snow is gone . Hope the snow storm doesn't hit to hard there , Thanks for sharing have a good day and stay safe and cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're doing well after your treatment. What a lovely collection of birds come to visit you. Great photos, Pam. I hope the nor-easter blusters by without much effect for you. It's foggy here this morning and we're supposed to reach 13 today and 14 tomorrow, then get colder and perhaps (I'm wishing) snow on Sunday/Monday.
    Enjoy your cookie baking and stay cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos Pam. That sky is spectacular. I didn't see the sunset at all last night, busy getting ready to go to Choir rehearsal. So glad to hear you are feeling somewhat better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful shots Pamela. What a great idea to hang the feeder off the clothesline. I think I will do that and that solves my problem of a feeder from my office window view... you always have such great ideas and great photography. :) I hope you were able to resolve your issue with vertigo?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to hear you are doing better! Your photos are awesome...especially those stunning sunsets. I am practicing as often as I can with my DSLR and am still trying to get so good bird shots. We have the same kinds visitng our busy feeders...I just love watching them! Looking forward to seeing some snowy pics from you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice variety of birds! We have goldfinches and doves, too. We don't get the Black-capped Chickadee, but we have its Carolina cousin. Unfortunately, the squirrels show up here, too! :-) Gorgeous landscape shots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What would it be like without Birds and Sunsets?
    Can't bear to think.....
    Enjoy your evening
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have some wonderful visitors to your garden Pamela! And those sunset photos are simply stunning. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely post and BEAUTIFUL pictures...wow!
    Warmly,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...