summer 2016

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

the calm before the storm



This is my view this morning as we are in the beginnings of the great blizzard.  It's actually looking worse than this now as the wind is blowing out of the northeast (hence the Nor'easter name) and the snow is flying across the landscape.  It's cold and miserable and I'm trying to keep warm inside.  Our big living room window is creaking from the wind blowing on it, which always scares me as I expect it to blow in one of these days!  No, that won't happen.  I hope!  But it sure is a creepy feeling to hear it creaking like that.  I had to use a bungee cord to attach the screen door handle to the front door handle as the wind kept whipping it open.  lol   It's garbage collection day here and the bag is out at the roadside with a nice drift around it.  I saw the truck go up the road so he'll be by soon.  There is barely any traffic on the road and it's drifting badly and the visibility is very poor so it's wise to stay home.  However, my dear husband had to go to work today.  He left very early before the storm started but will have a nasty drive home.  He's supposed to be flying to Winnipeg tomorrow morning.  I'm hoping the trip will be cancelled.  

Anyway.  This post is not about the storm.  It's about the calm before the storm.  Yesterday.  Monday.

I took a little walk with my camera around my neck, and bundled up in my hat, down parka, boots etc. against the cold.  It was a gorgeous sunny blue sky day.

The goldfinches were busy dining at the feeder.  I've noticed their feathers are starting to change to brighter yellow lately.  Could spring be on the way??

My favourite spot just up and across the road.  The track is from snowmobiles.  

A plantation of pine trees make for great graphics in the snow.

The neighbour's farm.

A view of the snowbank and the road.  A big 'event' was supposed to take place yesterday as a 110 ton transformer was to be moved along our road to the Mactaquac Dam on a flatbed trailer.  I waited and waited so I could take photos of it as it passed our house.  The road was closed to through traffic and there would be guide vehicles if you had to get to or from your house. The trip would take hours as the transport only goes 4 km/hour.  Our road at the north end is a very steep hill to the valley.  Well guess what??  They couldn't get up it with this huge load so had to cancel it!    I don't know what their alternative plan is.  They may have to wait another week after this storm's snow is gone.  The salt truck very liberally salted the road from one end to the other to melt the snow and ice build up from Saturday night's storm.   I hope I'm home when the move happens.  You can tell not much exciting happens around here.  lol

This is the field across the road from us.  I like the tufts of grass with little drifts of snow around them.  Notice how they are leaning to the right from the north wind blowing on them.


The little brook is still open and running.  

I found these squirrel tracks in the yard.  

White snow and a blue blue sky.  The snow on the Juniper tree.

Last night's sunset.  Hard to believe this blizzard was on it's way today.

Well, the garbage has been picked up and the plough and grader have made one trip up and down the road.  I hope that if you are experiencing this terrible weather that you will be safe and enjoy your cozy home.  
Thank you for all your visits and comments.  

Blessings,
Pam



33 comments:

  1. Yup, it's a big old blow! I am hoping that the wind will blow the very light snow down the road and into the river. Didn't sleep so well for the creaking in the night so I understand the concern about the pocture window. Have you also heard that we are entering an active period for the next three weeks? Oh joy unspeakable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i feel bad that your husband had to work and has to attempt to travel, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are safe and warm in your home today, Pam. I know that some people dodged a bullet as the storm tracked further to the west. Here in Kentucky we had a dusting of snow this morning. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful and sunny and calm the photos taken yesterday are!
    I hope you all will be safe today (and in the next days)! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay warm,,,I was wondering if you would be hit by the storm? You captured some great winter shots. Our snow is pretty much all gone and it is brown and yucky looking out there! I prefer the snowy countryside if we are going to have winter!! Hope you faired okay in the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hunker down, eat yummy soup, and stay warm! Hopefully, it won't get too bad. That shot with the grass tufts in the snow really got my attention. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been thinking about you Pam and hope you don't lose your power. The news has built this storm up to be one to go down in history which isn't encouraging when you're part of the masses trying to brave it out. I hope your hubby makes it home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely photos , your scenery look much like it does here with the fields and wooded areas . I hope you stay safe and cozy in this storm . Our old farm house here creaks , cracks and groans in the winter winds lol . It is cold and a bit windy here now but the sun is out and blue sky's so that helps lol ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pam, I hope you are warm, safe and sound there! Lovely images, especially the last sunset shot.. Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, the calm looks just beautiful! I hope you weather the storm well. You all take care up there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam such beautiful pictures. Keep safe and warm.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your storm sounds very scary Pam. I've seen it on the news over on this side of the Atlantic and have thought of all my lovely blogging friends having to deal with it. I do hope hubby is home soon and his trip is cancelled. Surely they won't expect him to travel. Your photos are gorgeous, but then again I am sitting at home with no snow to deal with outside! Take care... and warm my lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. That transformer will be a cool photo. Take care in the storm I will be thinking of you snuggled down. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yesterday was beautiful here in the east -- a great contrast to today. You documented it beautifully. The wind is the worst part of weather events like the one we're having today. We have been spared as of now, but it is picking up a little. The coastal people in Massachusetts haven't been so lucky. Funny thing, we got a call yesterday telling us that our garbage wasn't going to be picked up today. I guess that's because the governor issued a travel ban. Good luck digging out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yesterday was crazy here but today is sunny and beautiful (Oakville, Ontario).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely photos of your area. Stay safe and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful shots!

    We were too far inland to get any of the storm. We've had clear skies and cool temps all day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos, Pam.. This is some storm, eh? I will be glad when it is all over.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful photos! I hope you don't get hit too hard. I know last winter was a rough one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam, your photos are gorgeous and you have had some real winter, haven't you? I've been watching the news about our east coast getting hit by a big storm last evening, we, however, are still sitting here with not much sun today, but overcast. They say we could get some rain today but nothing yet. I bet that is scary when your window cracks, but it looks like to me you should be afraid of that squirrel! Those look like some mighty big tracks..Stay warm and dry and enjoy the rest of your week..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful pictures of the calm before the storm . . .
    I do hope you are safe and that your husband arrived home safe and sound!
    The reports we are hearing sound wicked. Do keep us in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thought of you tonight during the 6 pm news, when they described the highway closings down your way because of the storm. Hope you survive in reasonable comfort! Some nice pictures you posted today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. sometimes its hard to believe a storm is coming when its so beautiful the day before.

    your images are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope it wasn't as bad as anticipated and your husband got home safely.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like the best place to be is indoors. Hope your hubby arrived home without mishap and his trip was cancelled. Loved the shot looking into the pine wood - very evocative.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Incredible views before and after storm! amazing images of winter before blizzard! Hope that you're safe... Greetings from Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We have seen the news stories on the wretched weather, counting our blessings that our weather, at least yesterday, was a nearly record breaking 70 degrees F here in Colorado, but a storm is on its way. The gold finches here, too, are showing their spring colors. Seems a bit early. I do wonder if they know something we don't. I enjoyed your photos. You do live in beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos! I so love the photo of the woods. I hope you didn't get the worst of the weather that was expected. Thank you for the photos of the suet blocks. Reminds me that I need to put in a couple new ones. Have a wonderful day, and don't get blown away by that wind!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful pictures of the calm before the storm, Pam. I really like the ones of the plantation of pines and the field of tall grasses for their texture and pattern and sense of movement in the second. It was fun reading about your day as it happened, and I'd say that there is definitely a lot to explore in your neck of the woods, judging from your photos!

    Stay warm and cozy and away from that whistling window!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am sooo glad I am not there! Do stay warm and don't go stir crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful photos! That lovely pink sky in the evening must be lying...I thought pink sky at night, sailor's delight! Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I hope that things have improved by now and that you are all safe and sound. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...