summer 2016

Monday, February 16, 2015

sledding in the orchard and another blizzard



These cute snowmen greeted me at the apple shack.

Saturday was sunny and cold....the calm before the storm.  As I shared in my last post for Sunlit Sunday, I went to the orchard down the road to see how the sliding party was.   One of my best friend's sons owns this orchard which I talk about a lot here on my blog and she was going to be there with some of her grandkids.  Her son made a beautiful pile of snow for the top of the sliding run and 'steps' to climb up it.  He provided hot chocolate and marshmallows to toast over an open fire too.  Unfortunately, with the Winterfest events going on in town and most people preparing to hunker down before the storm which would arrive that night, there were very few that came.   But, those that did had a lot of fun.  I didn't do any sliding but took photos and toasted a marshmallow and cheered on my friend as she went down the hill.

This is my friend going down.  You can see how far down the sliding hill goes...just past the water tank.  The 4x4 brought you back up if you didn't want to walk.



That is not white sand!  I thought the chairs looked so colourful against the snow.

Apple wood for a fire.  Nice and hot.

Sleeping apple trees.

My friend's other son took these photos of me eating a gooey, overly toasted, sticky marshmallow.   It is hard to be dainty eating one of these!!  LOL

Wheeee!


**************


Well, we survived another blizzard - the 6th snowstorm since January started.  I heard we got 16 cm. of snow in our area which isn't really a lot (8 inches) but with the blowing wind we have some big drifts.  Moncton and southeastern New Brunswick got over 53cm.  They already had over 100 cm. of snow this winter.   Add to that the wind gusts of over 80 km. (50 mph) per hour and you have a recipe for serious drifting and dangerous driving.   Schools are closed in most of the province today along with many businesses, and some highways are closed.  People are being told to stay home.

Our driveway this morning before Murray snow blowed it.  You can see how the wind blew the snow out of most of it.  The backyard is a different story and the wind blew the snow in from the open field behind us.   I wish you could hear the wind here today.  Honestly, at times it sounds like a train roaring through.  It's -13C but feels like -24 (-3F).    And the snow is flying by the windows in a white blur.   Am I tired of all this snow and cold and wind?  You bet I am!!  Thankfully we're halfway through this short month of February.  ;)

This little red squirrel popped up from his secret tunnel in the 3 feet of snow on the back deck.  He was finding bird seed under there and eating it.

There are lots of Pine Siskin, Common Redpoll, Chickadee and American Goldfinch coming for food.  Here they are under the picnic table where I tossed some seed. It's kind of sheltered there for them.  Poor things.  They sure are having a tough winter.



I hope you all have a great week ahead.  Thanks for stopping by and for your comments.  I appreciate every one of you!  

Blessings,
Pam




39 comments:

  1. That sledding party looks like it was a blast. We are having a big storm right now with everything closed including the interstate. Not going anywhere too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lots of snow and some fun in it! cute pics of you with some 'open air dining'. :) poor little squirrel and birdies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're doing your part to help the peepers. I loved all of these shots. Cool how they made the bright and 'sunny' snow men out of the snow bank. ...wising you some vicarious sun from Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The sliding pictures are great, and I love the ones of you and your sticky marshmallow!! They are tricky things to eat especially when being photographed aren't they! I love the little squirrel poking his head out of the snow, he is so funny isn't he!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun pictures! Looks like a great sledding hill. And what a cute way to make those snowmen. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela,
    That sledding hill looks like so much fun...especially with the warm fire and marshmallows. We still pull out our old toboggan once in a while. I can't believe your blizzard photos...guess you did get hit. Makes me wonder if this winter will ever end??? Stay warm,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowmen are really cute. In spite of all the white stuff, this is a colorful post. Love the chairs lined up and the fire looks beautiful. You have had so much snow, but is it normal, seems like you had a lot last year too. We are having our ice storm now but it's not to get bad until after dark. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW Pam - you like your marshmallow exactly the same way as I do!!! Cute pictures!!!
    That was a long ride down the hill!!! Thank goodness for the 4 x 4 !!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's been a long time since I've had toasted marshmallows! Terrific shots, and that looks like a long hill for sliding!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brrrr - too cold for me. I'll stay in Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I loved it.. What a fun day... We are used to snow here in Canada and lots of us love it but I will
    say that here in Southern N. B. we have enough already.. LOL.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't been sledding in years! Looks like fun! I LOVE the squirrel photo! That's hilarious! We finally got our first real snow of the winter - 10" in less twelve hours and it's still snowing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post and photos . The sliding party looked so much fun I would love to do of been there with you all . Snow ? cold ? only in Canada eh ? Thanks for sharing , have a good day and stay safe and cozy .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh what fun that sledding adventure and marshmallow eating was!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  15. At school today, a colleague showed us a photo sent by one of her friends in Moncton. The garage door was open, but there was a wall of white preventing anyone from getting out - snow! Wow! You're having quite the wild winter.
    The sledding looks like a lot of fun along with the marshmallow eating - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a fun party snow sledding and roasting sticky marshmallows. Wow what an amazing amount of snow. It's been freezing rain and sleeting here all day long and still going. No going out tomorrow either it appears. Stay safe. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  17. We are feeding our birds and the squirrels are eating what they scatter on the ground. I showed my hubby your photos. The squirrel is so funny! Stay warm and safe my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Pam....I love those photos of you! Very nice!
    Is that Red digging in your back yard? Guess he must be hungry!
    Had some nice weather the last few days, but a big cold front headed this way....
    Oh well....not complaining!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You should have went down the hill I bet you would have loved it. the marshmallow looks yummy and you look like you enjoyed every bite.

    It was really windy and bitter cold here yesterday too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pam, such a great fun (brrrr cold!) post and super pics, especially the ones of you enjoying the gooey treat!
    The squirrel is so cute and the birds lucky they have you to share food - I'm doing all I can to help mine now that it's so very cold here too. Only sleet so far though - a frozen sheet of it on everything - hopping we don't lose our power!

    Take care and stay snug - Mary X

    ReplyDelete
  21. You need an inner tube! Very nicely cushioned for the ride...really! That looks like the ideal place for sledding. You look so cute eating that marshmallow! What a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like everyone was having a great time, Pamela, but all that snow sure looks COLD!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the photos full of color on a white background. We have had only skiffs of snow, thankfully. Poor litte birds looks cold, don't they? Does it seem that the gold finches are getting their summer colors early this year?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your photos today! Especially the colorful chairs and snowmen, the fire, and of course, you eating that gooey marshmallow! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh what glorious FUN! And you are right, there is no dainty way to eat a roasted marshmallow but the photos of you are adorable! If you must have this much snow, what else to do but enjoy it the best you can, right? Stay warm, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pamela, the snowmen, roasted marshmallow, sledding and apple wood fire show that winter can also bring wonderful pleasures! I know we will all be happy to see spring when it finally arrives!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a fun time you all had. I love the coloured chairs against the white snow. Hoping that is the last of your blizzards and hoping the thaw doesn't happen too quickly else you will be flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The sledding party looked like fun, and I think you were really enjoying that marshmallow. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  29. Those chairs definitely look bright against the white! I will take my marshmallows lightly toasted please!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Pam! Oh, look at all of the snow and y'all sure were having some fun. Love the snap of you eating the marshmallow! :) Stay warm.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a great idea to have a snow party! Never heard of one here. Folks go out looking for slopes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tickled my fancy! Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a bright and colourful welcome to your snow day at this wonderful apple orchard, Pamela! I used to love sliding down such hills, all the way into my teens, and if I had a chance to do so today, I'd take it! Hot chocolate and marshmallows are the perfect treat when out in such chilly temps, and yours looks delicious!

    Stay warm! It snowed here in the Med...again, which makes it our 3rd snowfall of the season - unheard of decades ago!!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wonderful captures of the fun side of snow!! Kids really make the most of it, don't they? However, my true favorite of your photos is the squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Pam, You look so sweet eating that toasted marshmallow. What memories marshmallows bring back to me. Your pictures are great. Made me think of us living on the hill (as a youngster, on the farm) and we had the best hill to go sledding on. Everyday after school all the kids would come to our house to go sledding. It was great sliding down but certainly not as much fun walking back up that big hill !!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  36. Now that looks like the way to enjoy all of that snow!
    Love the colorful snow family and chairs.
    Very cute pictures of you enjoying the toasted marshmallow.
    That little squirrel peeking out of the snow made me laugh. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your photos tell a story.....when you are overloaded with snow and frigid weather, make the best of it! I love the cheery snowmen and colorful lawn chairs. And the roasted marshmallows made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Looks like the sledding event was fun for those that came ... a nice long run! I still take kids sledding, but more and more I stand at the top of the hill with only an occasional run to the bottom to help out some little person. It sure has been a long, cold winter! Hang in there ... one more month and we're done :) Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  39. I laughed three times while going through this post. The snowmen are creative and cute. You look like an adorable little kid eating the toasted marshmallow. And the squirrel popping out of the snow is funny. This winter has been brutal, but it looks like you are making the best of it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...