summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Friday, February 20, 2015

snowstorm #7 and the dogs





This morning.


Is it February 20 already?  Where has this month gone??  
You read the title of this post correctly.  
Snowstorm #7....since January started....and that's not counting the smaller, few cm. snowfalls that came.  We were supposed to get about 10 cm. but I think we got about 15cm. of fluff.  It was quite mild yesterday at -4C so it was bearable while the power was off.  I told you yesterday there was a planned power outage from between 1 and 5 o'clock in the afternoon.  We went to our son's so Murray could do some electrical work and I could enjoy the warmer house with a wood stove.  It was comfortable.  We left at 6 to go home and there still wasn't any power.  It was getting dark and our house was quite cool, to say the least.  We didn't have supper.  Murray ate a peanut butter sandwich and I had a granola bar and finished my tea that was in a thermos mug.  We had to go to choir practice.  Needless to say the roads were terrible but we got there and back safely by 9:00....and the power was still off.  I had my computer on battery backup so checked in with Facebook and found out the power might return by midnight.  We decided to go to bed and just as I got in at 10:00 the power came on!!  Yay!  We both got up and stayed up until after 11.  LOL    

The sun came up with a few leftover clouds, flurries and blowing snow.  There was a sun pillar rising above the sun.  

The plough passing by.  They've been working very hard this winter!



Pretty snowfall with the morning sun.


**************


While at Mark's house yesterday I was kind of in charge of the dogs - Marshall, Buckley and Ellie - while Murray worked.  I let them out a couple of times to do their thing and one time when I let them back in I thought Buckley wasn't with them.  I got on all my outdoor clothes and went out to look for him, calling his name and checking where his tracks might be.  I saw tracks going through the orchard next door and thought 'Great, he's taken off'.  I came back inside and told Murray who said don't worry he'll come back.  I paced and watched from the window and paced some more.  The snow started falling heavier and it was after 4:00.  Murray asked if he might be upstairs and I said no as I'm sure he didn't come back in.  I mean, you can't miss a black dog in the snow or in the house either.  Make that two black dogs, and  tan and black one!  I went outside again and called and called to no avail, panic in my voice and thinking the worst.  I came in again and paced some more.  Oh my, I was in a state!  I decided to go upstairs and see if just maybe he was up there.  Ahem.  Guess who I found?  {Insert sheepish grin here.}  Honestly, I did not see him come in with the other two dogs but he must have.  I'm sure he heard me outside calling his name and was probably wondering why.  Hehe.  After that he lay down at my feet while I read.  He's a sweet boy.

Sweet Buckley with his white chin whiskers.  I think he's about 7 or 8 and is a Black Lab/Border Collie cross.  He loves everyone.  One time when he was a pup of about one, he went off the property and across the road to a garage.  A man was there and had left his truck door open and when he got back in there was a black lab laying in the seat.  He didn't know where he came from so took him home.   After looking for Buckley all evening and the next day and calling around we finally found out who had him - a kindly man up the road a ways - who brought him back.   

Ellie.  She was upset that I wouldn't give her a treat and is giving me the eye.  She's about 3, is a big dog at 83 pounds - a Black Lab/cross - and is very hyper.  She loves me....a bit too much, and I can't control her at all.   Her coat is so shiny and soft.

Marshall - the senior member of the family is 14 and a half.  He's mostly blind and deaf and is bit lame but still finds his way around with his nose.  He lived with us for 10 years.  He's got some Husky in him and his fur is getting chunky and thick.  It's shedding season.   A sweet old pup but getting a bit grumpy in his golden years.  Marshall had his own walkabout episode last March if you'd like to read about it.   We are grateful this old guy is still with us.

Well, that's about it for today.  It's a sunny cloudy snowy windy day out there.  A bit of everything.  There's another storm coming on Sunday - again.  On Monday I am heading to Calgary to visit our daughter and family, providing there are no flight delays due to bad weather!  I will try to keep up with visiting you but can't guarantee it.  I will be quite busy with 3 little boys aged 4, 2 and almost 6 months.   The weather there has been quite nice, comparatively speaking, with no snow and temperatures around or above the freezing mark.  I think I'll enjoy that for a change.  

I hope you all have a great weekend and I thank you for visiting and your comments.  
See you soon!  Take care.

Blessings,
Pam

  




35 comments:

  1. laughing at you finding buckley inside. i have to click my door shut when i'm calling for pups outside or they'll sneak into the house when i'm around the side and i'll keep calling and looking for them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snow pics! It is beautiful! Loved the story about the missing Buckley, I have done the same thing with my simease cat whvis an inside only cat when I could not find him, sure someone must have let him slip out, hunted and called all over neighborhood only to find him hiding in the guest room! Enjoy your visit with the grands !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smiling at your telling of the missing Buckley. I think all 3 doggies are lucky to have such kind caregivers.
    Your snow shots are beautiful although I imagine you may be getting a bit weary of the snowstorms by now.
    I hope your trip goes as planned and you have a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, dogs usually like to romp around in the snow, doesn't bother them like it does us. The picture of the snow in the morning sun is stunning. Keep warm this weekend, and hopefully you will get some reprieve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that you have a wonderful time visiting and that your travels are safe and on time! I am glad that Buckley was safe and sound and just being tricky, dogs are funny like that aren't they! I hope there aren't any more power outages - planned or otherwise! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's scary when the power is out with temps as cold as they are now. Stay warm and safe and have a nice weekend my friend! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those are beautiful dogs! I got a smile out of you missing Buckley coming in!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It totally changes things when we lose power, doesn't it?! Stay safe and warm...yes, it is almost the end of Feb. so there is hope...not is sight here, but eventually. the weatherman said our deep-freeze is not ending anywhere in the fore-see able future! BUT, though we are colder than normal we have had slightly less than average snowfall. This week-end might change that as well. I keep trying to remember what all those things were that I was 'saving to do in the winter':)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful sunrise photos. I have never heard of, or seen a sun pillar? Are they common?
    Sounds like the dogs had fun with you... Lol especially that sneaky Buckley! Marshall looks like a sweetie pie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad Buckley turned up. Love that story. Such cute dogs. Have fun with the grandkids. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, that is a funny story, but I'm sure not fun while you were so anxious looking for him! I lost one of my kids that way, once......he he. (sleeping under a mound of blankets upstairs). So nice to get away from all the snow and visit all he grands. Yes, you will be busy, bless your heart! Loved seeing the furbabies. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Buckley - so glad he turned up. Glad you'll be able to get away from all the snow and see your grandkids. I can't believe all the snowstorms you've been hit with this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy your time away and have fun with those grandchildren. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh that will be great! The baby must have grown so much, not to mention the older two grands. You will enjoy your visit. Will they let you stay until spring? =D

    I enjoyed seeing the family's furbabies. They are all handsome dogs. I can imagine how frantic you were "losing" one.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful sunrise with the sun pillar!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful sky! I'm glad you finally got power back. We never lost it last week during our storms, but we're getting another one tomorrow that includes freezing rain and that could be a problem. I laughed about the dog! I'm sure that's happened to many people! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your son's dogs look like a nice combination of personalities, and I'll be you enjoyed their company yesterday. My dog is so quick that he often runs inside and up the stairs before I turn around. I often look back outside to see if I missed him! We call him the Velcro dog because he'll always stick to us. My family tells me that he howls if I leave the house without him. I've never heard that howl myself. Have a great visit to Calgary!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a scare like that with Miggs but she was in the field beside us and I was frantic I couldn't find her so she is now on and electric underground fencing and she knows her boundary . Sweet dogs and lovely photos . Miggs is ill tonight and we are hoping it doesn't get worse and have to be a vet trip fingers crossed ! More snow for us tonight and all day tomorrow . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed the story of the missing Buckley. The doggies are all very pretty. I hope you get to visit your daughter and have a wonderful visit. Love your sky shots with the pillar above the sun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful wintry photos!
    The doggies look really cute; I can believe it's fun to be in charge of them! :)
    Have a nice and safe visit to Calgary!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Snow, snow, & more snow, poor you. I'm sure you will be glad to get away from it for little respite, even though your duties will change from looking after dogs to little children, a joy to share. When I had three dogs there was always one who caused trouble. It could be he never went out & was hiding in a nice warm spot indoors. You'll never know.Enjoy your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lot is going on in your life...including all the snow. We are getting more than our share here in KY. It snowed more last night and this morning there is ice coming down. Oh...I enjoyed seeing the dogs and had to laugh about the 'missing' dog. I do things like that all the time. Doesn't it drive you crazy?
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's not bad enough to worry about babysitting grands, but the dogs too! I would have been panicking too Pam and went through an episode with our daughter's late chocolate lab who was not well at all. He ran out the front door on me one time but only to a house down the road but wouldn't come back. He had to be put down shortly after this and I wonder if he had gone to say goodbye to the lady's dog where he ended up. So sad.
    Glad your power came on when it did, this sure will be the winter to remember for you folks out east.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know you must be getting tires of the winter wonderland effect in your neighborhood, and the power cuts are no fun! Lovely doggies - keeping everyone busy I'm sure in that weather.

    Hope your flight goes on time and you are soon there enjoying milder Calgary weather while having tons of fun with the family. Know the boys can't wait to have their Grandma back!

    Stay safe, happy journey.
    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!! WAY too much snow for me! I think I will stay put in Oregon City, OR as we have 4 seasons but rarely much snow. 4 inches closes everything down here!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful snow - but loving your pups!!!
    We only have one 13 year old - would love to have a few more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Pamela,
    Your photos are beautiful but seven snow storms is TOO MANY! Let's hope that as February wanes the weather will begin to get a little milder here in the Northeast. It's certainly been a cold and snowy winter! Hope you're staying warm up there in beautiful New Brunswick.
    Fondly,
    Cheryl @ 22 Applegate Lane

    ReplyDelete
  28. pretty sunrise. wow your planned power outage turned out a bit uncomfortable.

    the pups are so pretty. stay warm friend.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had a good time reading about your dogs. Sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  30. That look on Ellie's face is classic. Dogs can say so much with their eyes, can't they? Being without power in the middle of winter in a location like yours would be very disconcerting; I'd be especially concerned about freezing water pipes. We're building a new home and will have LP gas for heating and supplemental electric baseboard heat just in case. I'm glad Buckley was in the house all along :) ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such sweet dogs and lovely pics.. Thank the Lord we are not going to get much snow.. I am so so glad.. Ten cm.. is not much.. Hope you have a great visit.. Stay safe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful pics of that sun! We have only had a touch of snow and sleet this week but it was still enough to shut everything down around here for a week...I know the school kids were happy except when it comes time to have to make up those days! I can relate to your story about the dogs. Our Hunter normally doesn't have to be on a leash but this week we have not let him outside without it. He does like to explore in the woods and he wouldn't have had a chance being outside for more than a few minutes this week. I know you were relieved that your precious pups had made it back into the house!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I laughed and laughed about you finding Buckley upstairs!! Sounds so much like something I would do. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  34. Stunning photos, Pam! And here I thought you were heading someplace warm. Have a safe (and long) trip to Calgary and a wonderful time with your daughter's family. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great pictures. I understand the panic when you can't find a pup all too well. Hope your trip to your daughters is fun. Hope you don't lose a little boy in the snow. ;o) Just kidding. Honest
    Stay warm

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...