summer 2016

Friday, March 6, 2015

downtown Calgary---Stephen Ave.









Last Saturday, February 28, we took the C Train into downtown Calgary and I shared photos of the Devonian Gardens (see previous post) in the Core Shopping Centre.  After lunch we took a walk on the Stephen Ave. pedestrian mall.  Just a bit of history on the Devonian Gardens....it was opened in 1977 and was designed by J.H. Cook Architects and Engineers and donated to the city of Calgary by the Devonian Group of Charitable Foundations and Calford Properties.  The construction cost was $9 million and it recently underwent a $37-million renovation, including the 3 block long sky-light over the building.


Stephen Ave.

These are the sculptures that I showed from the 5th floor of the Core Downtown Centre.

Another view looking up.


perspective

This street is a pedestrian mall and I'm sure on a warmer day it would be bustling with hundreds of people but on this bitterly cold day we pretty well had the street to ourselves.

The beautiful architecture of the CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce) building.







This building was formerly the Bank of Montreal and is now a gym.



The old and the new....note the lights strung down the street....wouldn't this be pretty on a warm summer's evening?  

Well, I have one more post to do on this beautiful downtown street in Calgary.  Just too many photos for this post.  :)  

We are back in the land of cold and snow now.  It was -24C this morning and the snow.....well, it didn't melt while we were away.  In fact we received another foot and a half while away.  I am starting to decorate for spring inside though and the snowmen are history.  

Where would I rather be??  This was the temperature early this morning.  I know it's not down south where it's much warmer than Canada but enjoying a Chinook (described here) in Calgary with my family would be nice.  Also, our three little grands are all sick with bad colds and infections and their mama could use my help.  We left too soon.  ;(   However, I also have a bit of a cold and sore throat this morning.  It's going around and I was bound to get it too.  

I hope you all have a really nice weekend.  Thanks for your visits and comments.

Blessings,
Pam




30 comments:

  1. I love the mix of old and new. Gosh, they sure did build some beautiful banks in the old days. It's still bitter cold in Ontario as well. Take care, hope you are feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos of Downtown Calgary! Hopefully spring comes soon for you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beuatiful architecture Pamela. What a fantastic city. Get some rest and drink lots of tea with honey and hopefully in a few days you will feel better. Hugs, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great downtown there....
    I was there once....many moons ago.
    Glad you are home safe and sound....
    I am sure you miss those kiddies♥️
    They sure are cutie pies....
    Enjoy your weekend!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The architectural style of the bank buildings in particular really appeals to me. It's been a long while since I was last in Calgary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope all the fam is fit and well in no time. Loved your shots. The sculptures are awesome. Calgary looks like such a beautiful city. Cheers, from down south where summer's hinting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you are safely home but I'm sure your heart is back in Calgary. Enjoyed seeing your photos. I love photos of architecture. What a beautiful city and those little lights probably add a lot to the enjoyment of an "evening stroll" down the city streets! Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pam, I'm quite happy to see these photos, because the last time I was in Calgary...was...well I can't quite remember, and those visual memories are nothing like this beauty. It's lovely, no wonder so many people live there. Well and it's cold too...but like you said it's a good alternative.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks as though you really enjoyed the change of scene and change from all that snow! I really do hope that yours melts soon and that spring will come to you!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great photos of downtown Calgary Pam. I love the Stephen Ave. area. Sure hope your cold is mild and passes quickly. No fun being sick. Hope you too will enjoy a nice weekend. At least we've had a bit of sun this week.. let's hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe it's a good thing you came home when you did. Sorry your family is sick, though. Calgary looks like a beautiful place to visit. Love the sculptures. Hopefully spring will come soon even for your area, which is cold, like ours!. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think I might just have to stop and spend some time in Calgary...rather than just passing through as we usually do! It looks lovely through your lens. Hope your sore throat doesn't amount to anything!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely place . Wonderful photos of it all to ! Oh I do hope you and the others get well soon . It is cold here but sunny and the temps are to warm up with lots of sunshine by mid week so I am liking that. Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Calgary sure looks like a nice city. Thanks for the visit! Hope it warms up there like it's supposed to here. Still pretty darn cold right now though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Calgary sure looks like a nice city. Thanks for the visit! Hope it warms up there like it's supposed to here. Still pretty darn cold right now though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great pictures Pam. Thanks! Hope you don't get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  17. very interesting, Pam.. A beautiful place .. I have not been beyond Winnipeg.. Take care of yourself, my friend.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing place Pam! Reminds me of when we visited my uncle in downtown Winnipeg.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you got out for a visit. Quite the contrast in weather!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a beautiful city! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, the name of the city brings to my mind the good old times, when big sports events were inspiring and beautiful...
    Beautiful architecture, both the older and the more modern.
    You still have low temperatures! We should as well; in March we should have cold nights (even -25 to -30 °C) and bright days when you notice how the sun is already warm! So far it has been only grey and slushy.
    I hope you didn't get a bad cold or influenza. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It must have been a bit of a shock to see the snow still there and to feel the cold. I haven't been to Calgary in years si it's great to see the photos. Stay warm! And the weather people are promising some warmer weather soon. (I hope they are correct!)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The architecture even looks cold...brrisk!

    Sorry that the snow didn't melt at your house. =D

    You know, I tried decorating for spring and it just didn't work for me. The contrast between outdoors and indoors is too great! I've got to be more like you and just do it, else it will be summer and the snow will be in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Calgary looks to be a lovely city. I like the contrast between the old and new buildings too.

    Hope you don't get real bad sick.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is amazing that the Bank of Montreal is now a gym.

    We were in the small town of Fort Bragg, California recently and several of the old buildings had been converted to restaurants and shops. At least the great architecture is being preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a beautiful street full of beautiful buildings....your photos are wonderful.
    Feel better soon, dear heart.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a beautifully modern town that is built around the old!! Glad that they have built around the old and didn't take them down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Calgary is a beautiful city...wonderful photos, Pamela!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  29. How nice that you had another chance to spend time with the grandkids. Hope they are all (and you) feeling better soon. The photos of Calgary are lovely. We visited family there in the 80's and hope to get back for the Stampede one of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stephen Avenue is full of interesting things to see. Great photos.
    Sorry to hear your family is ill - I hope they recover soon. I also hope you don't get hit hard with whatever it is that attacked me a few weeks ago. Take care.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...