summer 2016

Thursday, April 30, 2015

geese on the river and a surprise sighting






On Wednesday I went to a friend's house along the river to see if we could see any geese or other returning birds.  It was cold and windy (wearing sweatshirt, down vest, windbreaker and gloves!) along the riverbank but we were rewarded with seeing flocks of Canada geese.
The view is to the other side of the St. John River with islands in-between.   I believe the above island is called Sugar Island.  One can access the island by ferry only.  The islands are very fertile so local farmers plant crops on them.  They used to graze cattle on them for years but I don't think they do as much now, maybe because there aren't as many dairy farms in our area as there used to be.


You may think the tall white thing in the centre of the photo is a bird but I found it was one of many bird nesting boxes on the islands.


My friend said there are often Bald Eagles along the river and I have seen them in flight or in a tree while driving by so we were looking for an eagle sighting too.  It wasn't until I got home and edited the photos that I saw a different looking bird on the island so I zoomed in and guess what?


It was a Bald Eagle!  I was pretty excited to find this in my photos.

Such a dull grey and cold day.

Another group of geese are coming in to land.  You can barely see them.  Notice the redness of the buds in the tree tops.  Soon there will be leaves.  And soon it will be fiddlehead season.

Looking downriver you can see how the water has flooded the island.  Once the water starts going down the fiddleheads will start growing along the shores and streams.

What are fiddleheads?


They are the tender green shoots of the Fiddlehead Fern that are a delicious spring 'vegetable'.  I did a post about them here if you'd like to learn more about them and how to prepare them.  I see that the year I wrote this post about them was 2012 and was early in the month for them but last year when the above photo was taken it was May 25th.  I think 2012 was the year we had a very early spring.  I guess that means the fiddleheads may not be ready for a couple more weeks.

Today is the last day of April and we in the Maritime provinces will be happy to see this month gone. It's been unseasonably cold, rainy and snowy and the weather is supposed to 'break' this weekend....maybe even tomorrow.....and it will be so welcome to have sunshine and temperatures in the double digits (above 50F).

Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments.  I hope you have an enjoyable day.

Blessings,
Pam








35 comments:

  1. What wonderful timing! Don't you love it when things like this happen?! I went back and read about fiddle heads...interesting stuff and I bet they are delicious too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing photo catch there! I'm wondering if I saw fiddleheads on your old post; I know I've seen them before. They certainly are unusual looking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos Pamela ! Yes I spotted the Bald Eagle right away before I read it lol I tend to do that as they are in the sky's here and poor Papa is asking where , where lol ! I have been lucky enough to get a few fly over and around the field beside us and get some close shots they have nests deep in our forest . It is so exciting to see Bald Eagles be they near of far especially in their natural habitat. Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's hoping May will send all the cold days of April's memory away! I'll be in Canada on Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S never have had fiddle heads before ! Just grew ferns in the gardens as a plant for looking at lol ! One day I may try them ! I have heard they are tasty ! Not to sure though lol !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela. I enjoyed this series of photos. Isn't it fun when you get a surprise in your photos! Nice catch of the Eagle. Our April has been pretty chilly too...Maybe May will bring warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The water really looks high. Quite a good opportunity to photograph an eagle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome bald eagle sighting! i'd be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have never tried a fiddlehead for sure. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fiddleheads, Wow, never heard of them! I'll have to check them out! Great photographs and a shot of a bald eagle is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't care for fiddleheads and still I know a wonderful place to find them. So perhaps I should harvest them...ostrich ferns...and sell them for a big price.

    Lovely river views with beautiful farms up on the hills. I don't know what your laws are, but ours no longer allow farms to raise or graze livestock if the farm is on a river. I find that outrageous and unbelievable! They out a sheep farmer out of business in our town. The farm had been there for over 70 years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful surprise. I'd love to see a bald eagle in the flesh. I remember you mentioning fiddleheads last year and me wondering what they were :-) Have a wonderful evening xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. wishing you sun and loads of warm weather :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How wonderful that you got a picture of the eagle without even realising!!! I have never eaten a fiddlehead, I don't think we have them here. I hope they come in soon so that you can enjoy them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. how cool to see an eagle.

    I did not realize that you could eat fiddleheads. neat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well you never know what you will learn I never heard of fiddle heads.
    Great pictures.
    Merle..........

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is fabulous you captured a Bald Eagle. I have only seen one wild one in my lifetime. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Pamela, I am so interested to hear that crops are planted on islands. Even with a ferry it would seem such a lot of work to get the farm machinery to the island and then haul the crops across the river. I sure hope that your weather warms up soon. What a harsh and long winter you had. I've only tasted fiddle heads once but they were amazingly tasty! Hope the sun shines soon !

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's always exciting to see bald eagles. Such majestic birds, and beautiful as well. I'm glad that you saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Look at all those geese on the river. Glad you saw a bald eagle. They are majestic birds, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope your May is better than your April!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great surprise with the bald eagle! I wonder if he was getting ready to catch a goose, which I'm sure they are capable of doing. It's been a long cold April here too, and only a couple of days above 0C. This week has improved immensely though, so I hope your warm weather arrives soon too.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  23. It does look cold and windy but the views are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How exciting to capture a photo with the bald eagle - the photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful views and interesting birds! You don't seem to have snow any more. :)
    Wishing you a warm and sunny May full of flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your photo outings especially when there are birds involved Pamela!
    I thought that bird looked like an eagle - I always click on photos so I can see the enlarged version!
    How exciting for you to discover it when you got back home - mission accomplished!
    Fiddleheads look lovely and I imagine you can put them in a salad. I will red your post about them!
    Warm weather must be just around the corner.... fingers crossed!
    We are well into Autumn now - today was one out of the box warm with a cloudless clear blue sky.
    I wish I had photographed it today as most likely tomorrow there will be rain again!
    The joys of between seasons!
    Wishing you a happy weekend.
    Hugs and blessings too
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great shots, Pam.. Love the eagle.. So looking forward to fiddleheads, higher temps and everything Spring.. smile.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. You took some great photos Pamela. I hope that May brings beautiful blossoms and warm weather to enjoy them with!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I smiled when I saw the eagle. I love it when something totally unexpected but wonderful turns up in my photos. I'm feeling excited for you, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  30. i was amazed how every where we went in Canada there were bald eagles sitting on the ground. i wonder if they are more relaxed there? in the US they never sit on the ground. only in the tree tops. think about it? see even the birds they think Canada is super cool too. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love the Bald Eagle find . . .
    I need to read up on Fiddleheads . . .

    ReplyDelete
  32. Spotting a bald eagle would be rather exciting! I've not tried fiddleheads, butI remember the New Brunswick signposts of the Fiddlehead Trail. I do hope that things a brightening up a bit now for you, Pam. In the last couple of days the leaves on the trees here have just begun to unfurl a little bit, that lovely spring green colour.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  33. Pamela, I can hear the excitement in your voice after having spotted the bald eagle, and it is contagious! Yes, it looks so proud and powerful, doesn't it? Lovely images of the Canada geese, too. Hope you get some warm and sunny weather this week!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am stopping by again....looking for a sympathetic soul. I hope you are feeling much better after your fall. I tripped....and fell on my face...and I am battered and bruised all over. I know you'll understand how it is to wish you could kick yourself for falling but hurting too much to do it. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...