summer 2016

Friday, May 8, 2015

birds, birds, birds




pussy willows gone to seed


It's a very cool 6 C this Friday morning with clouds and rain showers in the forecast.  We've had terrible winds the past week either from either the south or north....not good for forest and brush fires that have been burning due to the dry forest floors and also because humans are careless.  Rain today will be a good thing.  


I went for a walk yesterday when the sun was shining beautifully and I was looking for signs of spring.  I couldn't miss the green of this field which is a crop field.  Most other fields are still quite brown especially if they are fallow.  



Dog tooth violets are up but not blooming yet.

Wild Lupin leaves that will soon produce spikes of purple and pink blooms.


Well....my title says this post is about birds so here they are.

A 'murder' of crows.....my morning wake up call.....way up on the hill.


Male Goldfinch

There were a few birdies around the yard and feeders.

Male and female Goldfinches

Song Sparrow on the clothesline post doing what it does best.  Such a pretty song.

The Song Sparrow came down to dine on scattered seeds on this old tree stump.  It sure blends in.

Tree Swallow.  

There are lots of Tree Swallows around and they have been looking for a place to nest.  We had a Bluebird house on this post last summer and the Barn Swallows nested in it, which is rather strange I guess, but this swallow seemed to think this is where it should be finding a home as it kept coming back to it and diving around the yard.  We put the house up at dusk last night and I'm watching today to see what will come.  I actually saw a Chickadee checking it out this morning.  I haven't seen any swallows around yet.  Of course, I'd love to have Bluebirds in the house.  They are so beautiful.

Tree Swallow in flight and greatly cropped.

Actually, all these bird photos were cropped.  My camera isn't that good!


Thank you for stopping by.   Wishing you a beautiful spring day.

Blessings,
Pamela


30 comments:

  1. My favorite shot is of the goldfinch....love that brilliant yellow color, Pamela. Have a good weekend.+

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela - I enjoyed seeing your photos. We've had the sum total of two male Goldfinches, now there's only one. I think a cat must have gotten one of them, because I found the remnants of its wings in our yard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How empty the world would be without chirping birds bringing music into the environment. Even the cawing of the “murderous” crow contributes to the sounds of life in spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your birds. :) hoping you get good soaking rains!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all the signs of spring around your place. The bird photos are all great, but the goldfinch takes the prize for me. Such a wonderful color. We will be in the Maritimes next month and I'm hoping the weather is good. Guess we should be prepared for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The birds are so lovely, especially the finches! They always have the most beautiful colours of plumage don't they. I hope that the rains have come to take away the fire risk as that is never a good thing to be dealing with is it. We need rain because it has been dry, but at least no fire risks. I hope that you have a good weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the framing in that 9th photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great photo of the tree swallow on the can looking for the nest. Hope he/she returns now you have put it back up. We love sitting on the deck in the early morning and listening to all the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am anxious to go bird "shooting" and a big hope is to get a gold finch. Right now laid up by sciatica.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The swallows are back here too I always love seeing them. It is pretty at your place. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice bunch of birds! It has been dry down here, too. They say that even though we got soooooooo much snow this winter, we are still about 3 inches behind and we haven't had any real rain to speak of this spring. Love the pussy willows even gone to seed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some lovely photos, but I must say your goldfinch photo is fantastic. We seem to have lost ours & we're still waiting for the swallows to return. I love this time of the year when everything is such a beautiful shade of green & growing fast & furious,.

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are in a heat wave here!! 29C feels like 32! It's the first time in quite a few years that I sweated while planting the garden.

    I often crop my photos too because my zoom lens isn't every good. I like cropped photos. Its always a nice surprise to see detail close up after cropping! Your photos are great. Isn't this time of year bird-lovers paradise?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I miss seeing goldfinches out my back door in Kentucky. Love the pussy willows. Hope your weather calms down. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful photos! Love the Song Sparrow! Tree Swallows are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely birds, Pam, but I like your first photo of the pussy willow gone to seed best. I think it's the yellow hallow.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The birds have been busy singing in our trees and it is so nice to hear! To my surprise, there is a ducks nest with 5 eggs in it in one of my flower beds...hiding under some ornamental grasses that I have planted! I saw a pair of ducks waddlin around the yard a few days back, but didn't think they would nest so close to the house! I do wonder if the nest has been abandoned though and Darrell said he saw a lone egg over by the barn....hmmmm Glad to see that there are sign of spring happenin in your neck of the woods! We really do need a good rain ! Wishing you a very Happy Mother's Day Pam!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That goldfinch is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely signs of spring, Pam! I'm very much looking forward to seeing some lupin photos and to hearing who came to live in your birdhouse. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos Pamela . . . I especially enjoyed the "gone to seed" pussy willow . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. We are glad for the showers today, too. Everything needs a drink after such a beautiful week of sunshine. I have felt like murdering a murder of crows. They are so noisy and obnoxious. Enjoy your weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  22. When spring finally arrives it comes in with a great big push, just like your winds. Good to hear that the birds are nesting, I was wondering when that would happen for you, it's going to be a short season.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. I do love that saying 'a murder of crows', it's very Alfred Hitchcock! Have a wonderful weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. My those goldfinches look so cheerful in their yellow coats. I like how you go looking for spring and see those hopeful signs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love your bird pics, Pam.. They are lovely.. I always crop.. Is that bad? lol..
    Happy Mother's Day my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think your bird pics are wonderful and I like the first shot of the pussy willows.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Spring has certainly arrived out your way. All the signs are there! I love the Tree Swallow - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Nature in your part of the world is a bit different to ours - the birds, the flowers, the greenery, I'm enjoying your photos.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope you take a few photos of the wild lupins when they bloom. I love them!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...