summer 2016

Thursday, May 21, 2015

busy, busy, busy





Geranium bloom, inside.

Well, where is the time going?  I've been absent since last week....absent from posting and also visiting your blogs.  What can I say....the weather has been fairly nice....especially on the weekend past....and I've been busy outside and otherwise.  There is so much to do outside now that the weather is nicer so I may be scarce around here for a while.




The Victoria Day holiday weekend was wonderful.  Friday and Saturday were sunny and warm and perfect and busy.  Lots of yard work, lawn mowing, garden tilling (by a neighbour), cleanup, etc. happened all weekend.  Sunday - our day of rest - was rainy and cool.  The Monday holiday was sunny and warm again and we were right back at it all day.  I was so sore and achy by evening that I could barely do the stairs.  lol  


Our sweet DIL picked lots of fiddleheads and gave us some which had to be cleaned and washed and blanched for freezing.  A yummy vegetable for the winter months.  

We bought a cedar tete-a-tete recently that needed to be stained.  I spent 3 hours on that Monday afternoon.  (I'll post a photo when the second coat is done and it's on our deck)  It's a lot of work getting stain in-between all the wood slats!!

Fire at sunset.

We had a burn fire going on all day Monday.  After the heavy rains of Sunday it was finally safe to burn again and we had a huge pile of old wood, branches etc. collecting and that was added to throughout the day as we cleaned up.  

barn at sunset

the pond and blooming cherry trees at sunset

Sunset skies and new green on the trees.

Wild cherry blossoms.

Minuet Lilac

Well, my plan for building a raised garden bed with a stone wall isn't going to happen so the new Lilac and Alberta Spruce got planted in the lawn instead.  With many other projects on the go and lots of expense the raised bed was going to be another biggie, cost wise, so it was scrapped.  I'm waiting for the blossoms to open up so I can enjoy their scent.  Does anyone know if the blooms should be cut this first year?  I know they need to be pruned off after blooming but it would be nice to have one or two in the house to enjoy.   Your help is appreciated.  :)

My friend, Lois, is coming tomorrow for lunch then we're going to a quilt show, which is always interesting.  Lois is a quilter but I'm not, although I enjoy seeing them and really appreciate all the work that goes into them.  Tomorrow evening our neighbours, who are moving in another week, are coming over for supper.  So, I'm am going to have a very busy Friday and this afternoon I need to get started on some meal planning and prep.  

Thanks so much for your visits.  I appreciate it when you stop by and leave a comment.  I'll try to get around and visit you soon.  Gotta run!!

Blessings,
Pamela




33 comments:

  1. Can't help you with advice but always enjoy your photos. Hope you have a nice outing viewing the quilts and spending time with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same here, Pamela...all I know about lilacs is the fact that they have an amazing fragrance! You have been a busy lady! Love all of your glorious photos...the one of the smoke really impressed me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm no much help either! I love all of your wonderful photographs, each one amazing. Oh my, my favorite is the Geranium bloom!! What a brilliant red! I'm wondering what fiddleheads taste like! I've never ever heard of the them. Interesting! Have fun at the quilt show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think spring is a very busy time for everyone. love image number 7 but they are all beautiful.

    take care and don't work too hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pamela, I've tried quilting, but just can't spend the time and effort to make them as perfect as some of the "pros" do. I am amazed at the artistry in some of the quilts, rather than the squares we used to see on quilts. Beautiful. Lovely pictures today as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos ! Yes Papa and I have been busy out in the yard the past long weekend we just had building and planting gardens . I love the hand made quilts . Thank for sharing , Have a good day and fun at the quilting show !

    ReplyDelete
  7. nice to see the fresh leaves. i bet the fiddleheads are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a quilter but sure do appreciate the work that goes into them. Leave your lilac flowers for the first year and enjoy them, you know when to cut them off. I sprinkle epsom salts around shrubs and roses in the spring for a shot of tonic and to encourage new branch growth.
    Have a nice dinner Friday night Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stay busy...it's better than blogging and day. Things are really shaping up there! So much hard work to be done to make things look right again. Enjoy the quilt show and the joy of sharing your hospitality with your friends who are moving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos! Love the sunset! We have intentions of doing a raised flower bed, but it hasn't happened yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Pamela, you really have been busy! I love your photograph of the bright red geranium...just beautiful. And the fiddleheads...yum...love them! I've never tried freezing them...is there a trick? As always, love your blog. Sorry it's been a while since I've commented. I've been spending my days in the garden (and away from the computer) as well!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  12. The blossoms are really beautiful- one of the pleasures of spring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, now you've gone & made me homesick..lol! Fiddleheads!! We can hardly wait to have a good feed! And hubby had the burn pot full this week as well...lots of brush & downed branches to get clear of. We planted nearly 5 rows of potatoes yesterday, along with another raspberry plant. This is the best time of year!! We lost a few perennials in our side garden over the winter...we've been busy planting replacements.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope you have a lovely lunch with your friend and enjoy all that the growing plants in the garden bring you. I can totally see why after all of that snow you want to be out and about and enjoying the outdoors rather than blogging! Have fun!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been the same as you Pam, neglecting to put up new posts and not visiting my blogging friends as much. The weather is so lovely that we are spending as much time as possible outside. I don't feel guilty about it and neither should you. I'm sure you will enjoy the quilt show as it will be a fun outing with your friend. Enjoy the lovely weather.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't figure out what a tete a tete made out of wood is (maybe one of those double swings??) so I look forward to seeing it. I've been absent from posting as well. My dad was hospitalized, he's home again and needed some help around his home (thank goodness I have more siblings in the area too), work, reading, and decluttering that isn't picture pretty etc. has kept me busy. Enjoy the quilt show with your friend. My quilting sister-in-law keeps saying we need to do a quilt day trip. She spends tons of money on fabric and I just browse because I would feel guilty spending money when I have two incomplete quilt tops. I drive and she buys lunch and it is always a pleasant day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad to know someone else is achy at the end of a day of gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's the season to fix and clean and get things ship shape after winter. I know what you mean about being sore at the end of the day. How lovely to see the leaves on your trees.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pam, although you have been busy, the pix are great...warmer weather does us all good!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have been busy over there, but I'm glad you took the time to pop in and show us how spring is shaping up in your neck of the woods. I know you must be so thrilled to have the snow gone now.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Take note Pamela and don't overdo it. You sound like you have a lot of yard work to do. I love working in the yard but in my apartment now in Tennessee there's no yard work to be done. Love your photos. Have a wonderful weekend. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lovely photos, as always, Pamela!
    Your climate certainly reminds ours (or rather ours reminds yours), also with the very variable weather, especially in spring. Last year the temperatures were around +30 C in these days, but in some years it has been sleeting.
    I googled Minuet Lilac; it looks very beautiful.
    Don't worry about being absent from the blog world. We blog to live, not live to blog. Now it's time to enjoy gardening! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lunch with a friend sounds like a lovely thing to do, and you will get to enjoy the beauty outside at the same time. The yard work never seems to end doesn't it? LOL.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  24. Busy days for all of us flower/gardening lovers isn't it . . .
    Maybe it was a good idea to re-evaluate your backyard plan.
    Sometimes my plans get bigger than the time frame . . . if you know what I mean.
    I don't know a thing about Fiddle Heads . . . I need to read up!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Pam! I don't blame you. Be absent from blogland and enjoy the pretty weather. Now I've never seen fiddle heads before and am wondering how they taste? The look a little like a sliced green tomato with a tail! ;) Sorry about your raised beds. I don't know about liliac bushes. I have a couple but they were here in the yard when we moved here. Thanks for popping in to see me and don't work too hard in your yard.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. loving the views from your camera! how cool are those fiddle heads!!! ;}

    m ^..^

    ReplyDelete
  27. You do have some very soothing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your yard and gardens must look great after having done so much work. I too have so much to do outdoors and it is already getting way ahead of me. HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are a busy bee, Pamela. It's that time of year when we can all get outside and it's not hard to get busy in our gardens. I do love fiddleheads and it's been a while since I've had some. I should ask my aunt to bring me some when she comes over this week for a visit. Nice photos, by the way. Hope you have a wonderful week.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like you are getting many things done around your house this spring. We are but we are much slower the older we get!!!!LOL! Marvelous pictures. I especially love the one of the beautiful geranium....just gorgeous!

    L...
    S...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love that photo of the fire you had going, Pamela. Sounds like you have been really busy with the warmer weather. It is always so nice to get out and enjoy the spring. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  32. Never a dull moment! Here's my question...Do you need a burning permit to do backyard burning in your area? There was a time where we could burn freely out in the country. Now we need to apply (and pay) for a burn permit. A permit can be obtained for March & April and then again in October and November. Each permit is good for 2 months only and cost $25. As you can imagine, we manage to stockpile quite a burning pile on the farm...by the time we are allowed to burn.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...