summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

tomato red vintage cars and bugs on flowers






Our church had it's 4th annual 'Day of Thunder' event on Sunday.  There were dozens of cars, both old and new, which hundreds of people enjoyed seeing. We had a church service, a free barbecue and entertainment, trophy prizes for different categories of vehicles, and bouncy castles, face painting and cotton candy for the kids.  It was a wonderful day with lots of sunshine and just right temperature.  I love vintage cars I guess because I'm a vintage person.  :-}


There was this turquoise beauty from the 40's too.

And this '74 Dodge Charger.  I bet it can almost fly!!

There were motor cycles and hot rods too.

This old Cadillac is from the 1950's.  Just look at the bumper on that!!  One wouldn't want to be rear ended by it that's for sure.  It could do some serious damage.  

This is my dream car.  A '67 Mustang convertible.  Isn't she a beauty?  I've always wanted a Mustang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now, a change of topic.  Here is a strange bug I saw the other day.  I've seen them before along the roadside but never on one of my own plants.  They 'hum' along like a hummingbird (only quietly) and hover over flower blossoms to drink their nectar.  Do you know what it is?

 This Hummingbird Moth almost stopped fluttering long enough for me to capture a good shot of it.  Have you seen one this close before?  I know someone shared one on their blog recently.

Here you can see the vibration of it's wings.  Isn't God's creation amazing?

I captured this Swallowtail Butterfly the other day drinking at the Lantana on the deck.  They are so pretty.

Then when it came on top I noticed it was missing one of it's 'tails'.  It didn't seem to hinder it's abilities to get around though.

And lastly, I captured this bee right in the centre of a Rhododendron bloom.  Isn't that a beauty?

Well, that's it for today.  Thank you for stopping by and leaving comments about the larger font I'm using.  It's a hit!  :-}  
If you're like me, a bit on the mature side, larger type is so much easier to read.   Thanks again for your input!  I appreciate it.
This is what it looked like before.  See what I mean?


It's raining here today and a bit chilly with the wind so I guess I'll visit some blogs in between loads of laundry and maybe bake some chocolate chip cookies.   Mm Mmm.   I hope you have a beautiful day!  Enjoy!

Blessings,
Pam










32 comments:

  1. Wow... I have not seen one of those before.. Not sure I would like it very close to me.. Have this thing about fluttering wings on a bird but a bug would probably cause me to shriek... hahaha...
    Beautiful, beautiful photos, Pam... Have a great week, my friend.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all the red cars! I think we like to see the vintage cars as they bring back memories for us, where they won't for younger people. Don't we all love a 67 mustang! That's a good catch on the hummingbird … such an amazing creation. They sometimes hover over flowers out our kitchen window so I can see them up close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whoa. I got dizzy from the change of pace. :) But loved them all. (especially the old Chevy truck.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents gave me a 1965 aqua Mustang when I came home from college that first summer. Loved it! So much fun to drive. I felt so cool. My sister inherited it and loved it until the floorboards rotted out. My parents had a brand new 1972 Charger...it was a beauty, too, as I recall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Pam....love those old car shows. My hubby has a 66 GTO and has won a trophy in a car show, but we don't do that anymore....too hot in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've only seen one of those hummingbird moths once. they are SO cool! love the old classics. my dream car is a 1970 chevelle ss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hummingbird moth is so unusual. I shared one on my blog....but it's been quite a while ago. I LOVE that red Mustang! WOW! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vintage cars are fun to look at. I love the turquoise colored one. The first car I can remember was a turquoise and white Pontiac of some sort - my parents bought it the year I was born and we had it for at least 10 years.
    The flying bug is quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that charger, my dad had one back in the 70's. Beautiful blooms and bugs. I have never seen a hummingbird moth!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That bright red is my father's favourite colour for a car.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great vintage car collection! Love the red mustang as well. My first car was a 1968 mustang...blue. It was 1 year old when I got it. Good shot of the 'humingbird moth'! We have had something like that over here...I sat and watched it...wondering if it was a hummingbird or an insect. Great pic's, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow...those are some beautiful old cars! What a fun day that must have been. I do love finding different bugs and bees to snap but I have yet to see a beautiful butterfly this year. The year before last was the year of the butterfly around here...hardly a one last year either. Beautiful shots, Pamela! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hummingbird hawk moths are amazing aren't they!! You were lucky to get such great pictures of it. I love all the cars, but my hubby would have loved them more! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wish I was there with you, Pamela, to enjoy a cookie or two when they come out of the oven and watch all nature as it busily goes about it's day. The flowers are so pretty, but then so are those antique cars!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like to look at and photograph old cars. These look like they are in mint condition! LOVE all that red!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous old cars! Love those! Beautiful shots of the flowers and insects! I have yet to see a Hummingbird Moth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love love love the old cars. What a hoot! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's butterfly season again! Neat Hummingbird Moth; we had one two years ago that I got good pictures of. Neat cars too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Really love the old cars ... my husband owned one when he was younger ... rumble seat convertible and all. It was an awesome car and it put him through college. Wish we still had it :( Any-who ... love your butterfly photos too. We don't have many around this year they seem to have just disappeared.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great variety of vintage cars, all shined up and ready to be admired! That hummingbird moth is amazing! I've never seen one. I have seen very few butterflies the last few years... Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pix of the car show are super, Pam. Those combined with your backyard finds are what Summer is all about because it is almost here!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your church really knows how to start summer off on a fun note. Love the car photos. They do, indeed, bring back memories. My first car was a 1980 yellow Mustang. Not a convertible, but it had the removable sun roof. They've come a long way with sun roofs. Ha!
    You got a great shot of the hummingbird moth. I've tried many times to capture them. Each try seems to result in a bunch of blur. The first time I saw one I couldn't imagine what I was looking at. Amazing little creatures, they are.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great car pictures!! They're always fun to see!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is fun, I love vintage cars. Picking the turquoise one as my favorite.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVED the cars; must have been like being in a film set. Astonishing photographs of your mysterious humming moth and butterfly - I'm far too impatient to get good results like that. Or maybe my hands shake too much.

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVED the cars; must have been like being in a film set. Astonishing photographs of your mysterious humming moth and butterfly - I'm far too impatient to get good results like that. Or maybe my hands shake too much.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh I enjoy car shows people put so much work into the, Pretty pretty flowers I need your help I am hopelessly flower impaired this year:) Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  28. First, let me say thank you, Pam, for making your font larger. There comes a time when it makes all the difference in the world!! I struggle through some of the younger bloggers that don't have that problem yet and think no one else does either. I remember when I was one of them! I love vintage cars too and love the car shows. Wish I could say that we still had some of our vintage cars but it wasn't a bad trade off to get our Cottage. I have seen a similar moth in the garden but it was more whiteish and at night. Don't know if it was the same or not. Strange looking little thing..Happy Thursday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  29. Vintage cars are my fav and look at all those red ones! The flowers are gorgeous too!
    Have a lovely weekend ahead.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  30. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your larger type, and thank you for doing that. Even my emails are now a larger font....those bloggers who write in long unbroken paragraphs must have great eyesight...

    I only wish it was a easy to change the font and spacing in Wordpress as it is in Blogger.

    And the turquoise car, well it had my heart that's for sure...gorgeous.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gorgeous cars, Pamela ! I could identify a number of them (helps to be from an earlier era doesn't it). Pssst - I'll let you in on a secret; I always wanted a Mustang too but could never afford it in my younger days. We decided to buy one as our 'fun car' in Florida - blue convertible.

    Oh, and the flowers and 'bugs' were quite nice also.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Catching up on posts . . .
    Love the old cars and your flower beauties!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...