summer 2016

Tuesday, July 21, 2015

birthday celebrations



This is my stone vase that I mentioned in a recent post.  

Well, I've not been around much the past week.  I got caught up visiting some of you on the weekend but have lagged again the past couple days.  What can I say....it's summer and it's busy.  And, I'm getting ready to celebrate a 'major' birthday tomorrow.  Major in that I'm reaching that pensionable age in my life....which I can't believe because I'm pretty sure I just turned 35 a couple of years ago.....at least in my mind.  Where have those last 30 years gone?  

  Me...age 2.

I could go on with a long post about life and aging but I won't.  I will only say that I am truly blessed to have reached this age and that I am healthy and happy and, I'm going to have a party to celebrate on Friday evening.  Why not eh?  When I was growing up having a birthday in the summer months when school was out meant that you didn't get the chance to have your classmates sing "Happy Birthday" to you.  Growing up with 2 other siblings being born on either side of your birthday within 3 years also meant having to 'share' your birthday.  Yes, we shared birthday parties, and cakes.  We didn't have big parties every year like kids today.  We didn't have 10 kids invited, treat bags, balloons and theme parties like kids do today.  We were lucky to have a few friends (or none) and a cake with coins wrapped in waxed paper baked inside it.  Someone was lucky enough to get the slice with a 50 cent piece (I still have a few of them and also silver dollars) or a nickel in it!  My aunt always baked us a 'joint' birthday cake.  It was SO good!  Angel food cake with lemon frosting and sprinkles on it.  Yum.  Our gifts were simple...a couple of toys and maybe a new dress or outfit.  No brand new bikes (they were second hand), expensive electronics or the latest popular toy.  I remember one year my sister and I got plastic telephones....hers was red and mine was blue.  She and I got a lot of the same things in those early years....in different colours....including clothes.  :-)

This photo was one of the 'joint' birthdays that my brother and I shared.  We both could invite a few friends.  I'm in the middle in my favourite dress of all time (black and white polished cotton with a crinoline under it) and my brother is to the right in back.  I was 10 and he was 9.  I was one year and 4 days older than him.  You can see that some of the guests are holding pinwheels.  That was part of their gift for coming.  I don't remember what else was with it, maybe candy.  I do remember that Mum didn't buy enough and I, being the honoured guest and host, had to give mine up.  I was not happy.  lol  I think the photo below has my 'happy' smile because I begged to have my brother's pinwheel.  But.  Look at the sad face he has.  :-(   I noticed we are both wearing watches and I think that was our gift that year. 

This is the 3 of us.  My sister, on the left, was 7.....2 years 362 days younger than me.  Yes....we were close in age!  Poor Mum. 

Me, Margaret, and John - he was on a pass from the hospital.

Here we are last July 20 as we celebrated our birthdays together for  the first time in 40 years and what would be my brother John's last one.  He turned 63 a few days later and passed away in November.  

That is why I'm celebrating 'big' this year.  We don't know what life holds for us but we do know that our days on earth are numbered and we should grateful for every one that we wake up to.  

On Wednesday Murray is taking me out for dinner to celebrate and on Friday I will celebrate with some close friends and my older sister and her husband.  (my baby sister isn't home this year)  


Thanks for visiting and I hope you are enjoying these summer days.  
I must say the past week has been wet and cool and Friday looks like clouds and showers for the party.  Praying it will just be clouds so we can have the party outside.....I have plans!  I'll take pictures!

Have a super day!

Blessings,
Pam






43 comments:

  1. Wishing you the most blessed birthday!! It's going to be a great party...keeping my fingers crossed for good weather on Friday! When I grew up (and I'm just a couple years shy of you)....birthday parties were a must have in our house. I'm the youngest....my Mom taught school...so a lot of the duties fell to my sister, who is 6 years older than me. She would decorate the dining room & set the table with paper plates, napkins & party hats! My birthday is in March....so it could either be a warm spring day....or a snowstorm!
    Love the black & white photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!! Lovely photos and post . I remember birthday parties with just family mostly as we were on the farm when I was a kid. Thanks for sharing have a great day birthday girl .

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very happy birthday to you. What precious photos of you with your brother and sister. Hope your celebrations this week are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Pam, wonderful images. Wishing you a very happy Birthday! Enjoy your celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you described the life of many children of that era in Canada. In hindsight, it looks like bliss. As with so many things, watches were precious then but now you can get the digital kind at Walmart for next to nothing. Whether we watch the clock or not our time is limited here on earth. It took me years to appreciate what my mother meant when she said: Health is the most important thing in life. So sorry to hear your brother passed away after your celebrations but it is obvious he had something important … the love of his family nearby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best birthday wishes, and a prayer for John, the smile-kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha, so FB will tell me it's your BD tomorrow and you get to collect the OAS? That's a bonus, I have a couple of years to wait but look forward to all the discounts we get as official seniors. Why can't it be 60 across the board?
    Fun looking back at your family photos and I'll leave you with a wish for a great day on your birthday Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it will be a happy and sad celebration - but I'm sure John will still be with you in spirit Pamela.

    I love the story and fabulous photos of your childhood birthday celebrations in Canada. The pic of you at 2 wearing a hand-smocked, bow in the back dress reminded me of my dresses like that, and your b/w dress on your tenth birthday was so beautiful - you must have felt so sophisticated wearing that one. Whatever has happened to 'polished cotton' anyway - I always loved it and sewed many garments using it in my teens.

    Our parties in England were similar - very low-key compared to the over the top, very costly versions some spoiled kids get today. Always a tasty sponge cake made by mum, perhaps a couple of best friends, and no expensive gifts! Mostly clothes and things such as coloring pencils, nature guides (I loved those) or a few pounds tucked in a card to spend at the bookshop on something exciting to read. I would spend hours choosing - I loved stories about horses, ballet and ice skating in those days!

    So congratulations dear friend - this is an auspicious number coming up but, as we already know, these later years are still awesome in so many special ways. Life is definitely what we make of it, and every day is precious.

    Happy Birthday and here's to many more.
    Love and big b'day hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post Pam...and Happy Birthday! These pictures are just precious and bring back memories from days gone by...the simpler time, that's for sure. When you are the baby out of 8 like I was, our parties were just a big ol' family get together with homemade ice cream...no matter what time of year. You were certain quite adorable in that black & white dress of yours too! Well, I do hope you enjoy your celebrations this week...eat pleny of cake!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very happy birthday to you, Pamela!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you a beautiful and celebratory birthday! Be sure to enjoy your cake and ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have always been as cute as can be! Happiest of birthdays to you! Love the photos you've seleted to share...that dress...that cute story about about sharing...yes, well, no one said that sharing would be easy. =D
    Oh my and THAT dress. No wonder it is till your favorite. It's a challenge to peak at age ten. Scooting before you clobber me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do like your stone vase...darling!

      Delete
    2. some days I can spell "selected"

      Delete
    3. I quit. too many errors!

      Delete
  13. Happy birthday, Pamela! FYI: I always thought my sister was lucky because she had a summer birthday and could have a party outdoors with her friends. My birthday is in winter and I had to share the festivities with my sister, grandfather and mother - our birthdays were within 5 day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Pamela. I share almost every thought about getting older as you do and I wish you and your sister a wonderful day. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely post ! Happy Birthday !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such delightful memories of your birthdays with your brother. Sorry for your loss, but happy that you will be celebrating another happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is the sweetest post! Have a happy birthday Pam! You were an adorable two year old. Yes, it has been a busy summer with lots more to come, but I'm glad the timing was good for me to wish you well! Happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Birthday, Pam! Enjoy your party whatever the weather. Life is worth celebrating!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful post, Pamela. I loved seeing the photos of your birthday celebrations in years gone by. Your favorite dress wouldn't look at all out of place today. Love the 2 year old you - so cute.

    My birthday parties were always low-key, too, most of the time. A few friends, a few gifts, and I didn't hear about treat bags until my own children went to parties. But I remember the feeling of being the honored person at the party.

    Have a most wonderful birthday, Pamela. I'm sure it will be bittersweet as you remember your dear brother John. That picture from last year is full of love. You are so right that life is a gift and we need to celebrate it now!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Have a super happy birthday Pam, 65 isn't that bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday, Pamela! I hope you have a wonderful time tomorrow and at your party on Friday. I enjoyed hearing about your birthday celebrations as a child (not unlike my own) and seeing the photos too.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy birthday, Pamela. I will be turning 65 in December. Very momentous, isn't it. I'm so sorry your brother is not with you this year. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. A very lovely post as you approach your special birthday. How fun to see the photos from days gone by. I think the term living doll would well describe your two year old self. What a precious photo that is.
    The photo from last year's birthday celebration is very special too.
    Your thoughts on getting older are so true and a good way to look at it. I wish you a very Happy Birthday. Enjoy your celebrations.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Birthday, Pamela! And what a special one it is. Wishing you lots of celebrations in and around the day. All year long, for that matter! I recall many of the same birthday rituals of yesteryear...like the pinwheels and the coins wrapped in the cake. I never had to share my birthday, but we mostly had family celebrations at our place. Love the old photos too. Have an awesome birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. happy birthday to you! very neat photos.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Birthday sweet friend! I hope you have LOTS of fun and celebrate all week long! I always envied my cousin who had a birthday this month because she could have a summer time outdoor party. Mine was in January! lol Have FUN!!! Sending you LOTS of birthday hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday Pamela. It sounds like you have some wonderful "birthday girl" celebrations planned and how wonderful to have family to celebrate with. I agree ... every day is precious and we have to live everyday to the fullest. I hope you have a wonderful day and make some wonderful memories. Love and Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  28. Pam, have a wonderful birthday. Remember, age only matters if you are a fine red wine! Enjoy all your celebrations!! Happy HAPPY day!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope your birthday will be perfect! Love that dress with the crinoline....(was it itchy??)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hope your day is special from beginning to end!! Happy Birthday!

    Love your old pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Big Birthday to you!!!!!!!!! I hope that it was truly wonderful, that you were treated and enjoyed and that you will have many many more happy birthdays to come with lots of wonderful memories to be made, and that you will not have to share your cake with anyone else!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Sorry I missed your birthday, have been away. I know we are the same age and my "same big birthday" is in just over a week. I think our grandchildren keep us going, I know Harry does me. As you say we should make the most of every day, I have recently lost a dear friend at only 53 years of age. Hope you had a wonderful day and that the celebrations continue over the weekend with family and friends. Belated birthday wishes, Jackie in Surrey, UK.xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. What sweet memories. You made me think about how my mother always dressed my sister and I in the same outfits..always different colors, of course. She made so many cute outfits for us, and later on, she would order from the Sears and Roebuck catalog..same outfits..different colors. We were not twins, but actually 14 months apart.
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Happy birthday, Pam! What a wonderful trip down memory lane.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. Happy Belated Birthday Pam. What wonderful memories. You never know what to-morrow brings. Your right there.

    What a sweet looking child you were at 2. The Lord knows what he was doing.

    I loved all you showed. Enjoy all the days ahead. Looking great you three. How nice you got to be to-gether.

    ReplyDelete
  36. A Happy Belated Birthday to you Pam!! Such wonderful photos and memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Happy, Happy Birthday Pamela!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so sorry I missed wishing you a Happy birthday, Pamela...
    I hope you had a fabulous celebration. Your childhood photos are just adorable.
    I'm not doing too well with regular blogging either!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...