summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Fundy National Park ~ a New Brunswick gem



The beautiful greens, pond, and amphitheatre at the park's headquarters entrance from Alma.


Fundy National Park is one of our province's many gems that draws people from all over the country and the world.  It was opened by the federal government in 1948 and is located near the small fishing town of Alma on the Bay of Fundy coast between Saint John and Moncton.  One can get to Fundy National Park via the Sussex area at Penobsquis or by travelling from Moncton through some very pretty small villages and historic sites along the Petitcodiac River and the basin of the Bay of Fundy.  There is lots to see and do along this route and one almost needs to spend a couple or 4 days in the area to take it all in.  

I went with a couple of friends just over a week ago to do some hiking on a few of the many trails.  It was another scorching hot day inland so the coast would be cooler.  It was beautiful there although a fog hung just off the coast and eventually drifted in later in the afternoon.  My friends and I hiked 4 trails, all easy.  In fact the last one on our way out of the park was a flat boardwalk to a small lake that took us just 10 minutes....a nice way to end the day.  

The first trail we took was the Dickson Falls Trail which has a lot of stairs to climb down and then up, of course, as it was in a ravine.  It was so beautiful and cool and green once we got down the stairs.


I love finding trees growing on rocks.



The next trail we went to was the Herring Cove Trail.  Before the park was developed Herring Cove was a small fishing community on the Bay of Fundy.  The whole area was settled by Irish, Scottish and English in the early 1800's.  We walked down many stairs to the beach cove below.


The tide was coming in very quickly and you can see the fog bank hanging over the bay.  It was beautiful in the cove though and several people were enjoying the sun.  The waters are usually very cold and I didn't take my shoes off to find out.  ;)

One of the sets of stairs from the beach.  You sure do get a good workout!

Our next stop was at Point Wolfe.  This was a bustling community in the 1800's with a sawmill.  The covered bridge has been rebuilt but there has been one here since I was a little girl.  Our family would drive down and have a picnic at one of the many picnic areas in the park.    

It was such a hot and hazy day that I had to edit this photo a bit due to the bright light.  We had a picnic lunch right here.  

All through the park in 14 specific areas one can find these beautiful red Adirondack chairs set up to enjoy the view.  The ones below were occupied but I took a photo with their permission.  ;)



We took a trail from the covered bridge along a ridge that overlooked the inlet and out to the bay.  Here we found another set of Red Chairs.  Spectacular!  Just don't step off the trail!!


Back at the headquarters entrance to the park there are some gorgeous flower beds along the parking area and the view of the bay is spectacular.  Do you see what I see?

Another set of Red Chairs!  

The view of Owls Head with the fog bank hanging over it.  The village of Alma is in the cove.  We drove down there too and I have some photos that I will share next time.

This was our last trail - Caribou Plain - that was so easy and also wheel chair accessible.  It went through a pretty sun-dappled woods with a solid wooden boardwalk over a wetland area.  Apparently caribou roamed this area even in the 1800's.

Beaver pond.

This is Bennett Lake which is near the Penobsquis entrance to the park.  It was beautiful and a lot of folk were enjoying the nice sandy beach.  There are hiking trails all around this lake too.

And look what we found!  More Red Chairs.
Some day I'd like to visit again and find all 14 sets of Red Chairs in the park.

Well, that was our day of hiking at Fundy National Park. There are many beautiful trails to hike from easy to difficult but please go prepared for any type of terrain and weather.  We had a perfect day for it and had a lot of fun.  I hope you enjoyed it and maybe one day, if you haven't already, you will be able to visit and spend some time there.  There are motels in the village, chalets and a motel in the park and lots of campsites for tents or trailers.  I'll be back soon with some photos from Alma.

We just took a weekend trip to Moncton and area and the Hopewell Rocks so I'll be posting about that soon.  Oh, and I went to Kings Landing with another blogger and her husband who were visiting our fair province from British Columbia!!  That will be another post too.  We had a wonderful time.  It seems I've been busy running the roads most of August and I have so much to share with you.  We've enjoyed the best summer weather most of the month and I've been feeling very well and energetic.   I hope it continues!!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.  Soon the 'fall' season will be upon us and schedules will return.....including blogging a bit more. 

Have a blessed day.

Pam




32 comments:

  1. Hi Pam! Oh, what a beautiful place! I love it that the red chairs were placed along the way to enjoy the view! Hope all is well with you.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see why the lovely red chairs were utilized throughout the parkland. They bring such spark to the scenery, especially in times when the weather be gray.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi from Sussex UK, I love the pictures you have posted it looks so nice, to the fact that I am now looking up there area and maybe in a couple years pay a visit to your part of the world!x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful and I love the red Adirondack chairs sitting at different areas. The views look gorgeous and those stairs look daunting. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful park, Pam. I love the first waterfall photo, everything is so green and lush with the water running through it. The red chairs are such a great idea - like a treasure hunt throughout the park. Our time in the Maritimes went all too quickly - I do hope we get back there one day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is such a beautiful part of the country- you've captured it wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely a gem (now I go buy a red chair)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome photos Pamela . Oh I so want to go there even more now . what wonderful scenery and the trails look so much fun . Glad you are feeling good to . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. How gorgeous! That's some spectacular scenery! I like the idea of the chairs! I've been to Canada twice and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW...this place is gorgeous! I can surely see why it draws many in from many different places. Those red chairs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful place and the red chairs are such a good idea, I like rest spots everywhere.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful place, Pam. It looks so cool and refreshing. Love the covered bridge and the red chairs on the shore. So romantic!!..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure covered a lot of territory last weekend and wowsa!
    It is so beautiful there. I love the red adirondak chairs that are spread
    out all over. In Ontario we call them Muskoka chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fabulous park! That's what I love about blogging. Bloggers often share the beautiful places they are lucky enough to live close to and it's a great way to do some armchair travelling. Thanks for stopping by Pamela. It's always nice to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It really is a gorgeous park and you could spend lots of days there with all the trails and beautiful things to see. I love the red chairs too and I'm glad you hiked with your camera. Our hikes have been few and far between this summer. I'll be so happy when we can get out on the trails again. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  16. So lovely to be out in nature. The red chairs are such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a wonderful place! I only stayed there as a child with my parents, more years ago than I'm going to tell you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful place, lovely pictures...the nature is really fantastic there!
    Have a great week, take care!

    Hug
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful photos, Pamela!
    I love especially the beach views. The fifth photo shows almost the place of my dreams. :)
    Thank you for sharing and have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pamela, these are really lovely shots of the park. I am not familiar with the area you describe at all, being from Texas in the States. I love the bridges and the waterfall. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello there "Gordon Sister" . . . I am happy to be visiting you and happy to see this gorgeous park. Such beauty, vast vistas, and the Red Chairs added such a spark . . .
    I love being back with you . . .

    ReplyDelete
  22. The park sure is a beautiful one and I do LOVE those cheerful red chairs. Glad you found a cooler place to get away from the HEAT!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun to see those red chairs featured here...after seeing them in the park a few days ago! We never got in much hiking...but saw many if the sane beautiful scenes you captured while in Fundy Natiobal Park. We have checked out PEI National Park since then...and are exploring Charlottown now. Oh...and I met another lovely blogger friend today!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That must have been an enjoyable time with your friends. I love seeing the red chairs--they sure make a place bright and cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What gorgeous captures. I love the one of the covered bridge. Reminds me of the movie...Bridges of Madison County....You can tell it was a fun trip....

    ReplyDelete
  26. Stunning scenery...and I love trees on rocks myself! You have certainly been doing a lot of hiking, but the season is so short we all have to cram as much as possible into it don't we?

    Gorgeous shots Pamela.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stunning scenery...and I love trees on rocks myself! You have certainly been doing a lot of hiking, but the season is so short we all have to cram as much as possible into it don't we?

    Gorgeous shots Pamela.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well you know I love the red chairs! lol! The scenery is gorgeous. Yes, trees growing on rocks; and moss. I love them both! Also love that covered bridge and the convertible is pretty sweet as well. Sounds like you had a wonderful trip Pam!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, your photos are spectacular! Love the red chairs and that scenery just makes me want to take another trip over! Really enjoyed this.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful place Pamela - we were in that area many, many years ago but didn't have lovely sunny weather such as during your visit - thick fog and quite cool. We drove from NH to Maine, ferry to Nova Scotia, then to PEI where it was flooded with torrential rain, back to Moncton NB and down to St. John. I remember it so well - must have been early 70's. How lovely you hiked those trails. . . . . . I'm quite envious and would have loved to been with you and your friends.

    Love, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  31. I would love to sit in some of these red chairs and enjoy the view, Pamela! I think I'd chose the ones under the shady trees, on the trail. What a treasure this park is!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a joy to share your joy of seeing the beauty of Fundy Park with you! I adored the red chairs... what a lovely way to enjoy a picnic lunch! Your pictures are amazing, and it was wonderful to enjoy the beauty of the area through the eyes of your camera!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...