summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Thursday, August 20, 2015

St. Andrews by the Sea






We took another day trip and finally got to St. Andrews on Saturday for the first time this year.  It was to be 34C at home and in the low 20's along the coast so, since the mowing and other chores were done and it was too hot to stay home and just sit we decided to go.  It's our favourite place to visit and I've shared it many times here on my blog (check the label at the bottom if you want to see more about this pretty seaside town).  

Did you know I've been blogging for 5 years?  I can't believe it's been that long since a bravely published my first - one photo/one paragraph - post.  {the first post is in the labels at the bottom}  This post will be my 948th one!  I couldn't have kept this going if it wasn't for you - my faithful followers.  I Thank You from the bottom of my heart for reading and commenting and being a friend these past 5 years.  Thank You!!

I'll share the photos and you can have a look at what we saw and did that day.  It turned out to be about 27C there but not as humid and there was just the slightest breeze in the air.  The water in the bay was as calm as a lake.  It was a most perfect summer day.









The Blockhouse used for defending Canada during the War of 1812.

The tide was starting to go out so people were heading out on the rocky beach near the Blockhouse.  This was a favourite place for our kids to explore when they were little.



This is the Algonquin Hotel that was recently restored and modernized while keeping it's iconic beauty.  We stayed there the first 2 nights of our honeymoon and for our 25th wedding anniversary, and we hope to stay there for our 40th anniversary in 2 years.  See the piano outside?  Well Murray just had to sit down and play a little bit of funky blues on it.  I love the artwork on it.  It seems old pianos are being given a new life in public parks, gardens and sidewalks around the world, even in little St. Andrews.  The Kingsbrae Gardens has several placed throughout the gardens as well, each painted in a different theme.  


There are some very beautiful and historic homes in St. Andrews - some of them over 200 years old - and this cottage near the Algonquin is beautiful.  I remember it as a bed and breakfast called "The Pansy Patch" when I was growing up.  It originally had a genuine thatched roof.  Many years ago that roof had to be removed and as thatch was not available here and was very expensive, a shingle roof replaced it.  A few years ago the home became private with a small gift shop I think and then there was a devastating fire.  I was so pleased to see what this house looks like now.  Isn't it gorgeous?  The property extends behind the house to the end of the block with beautiful gardens and I am guessing it is privately owned now.  I love the new shingled roof which will age to grey over the years.


Are you still with me?  I'm sorry this is so many photos and I hope you are enjoying them.  I have 8 more to share.  I was going to do a separate post to finish but decided to put them all in one.  :-)  Go get that cold drink you might need and come back. 

This is at the Bar Road.  Do you see the bit of sand to the right with a person on it?  Well, this is a sandbar type of road that goes from the mainland to Ministers Island.  When the tide is out one can drive or walk across the bar to the island and tour the historic former summer home of Sir William Van Horne of Canadian Pacific Railroad fame.

This person looks like they are walking on water as it was quite shallow there with the tide going out.

These kayakers paddled out of the inner bay then back again while we watched and they were having difficulty getting over the bar as their kayaks were dragging on it.

Here there are some cars waiting for the water to recede so they can go over to the island.  There was to be a wedding over there and the bridal party and guests were in the cars.

They made it across!  We didn't go this time as it was already 4:45 and we had dinner reservations for 5:00.  Maybe next year I'll get to visit there again.

This is the view of the wharf and harbour at our patio table at the aptly named Harbour View Restaurant.  

There were thunder clouds rolling in as we left.  Good timing. 

St. Croix Island or locally known as Dochet Island, with threatening skies on our drive back home.  That is Maine on the other side.  We drove into some rain showers but at home it was dry and still very hot!  

Thank you for coming on our little day trip to St. Andrews again.  It was a picture perfect day for sure and we had a wonderful time visiting all our favourite places.  It's still hot and humid but will be cooling down a bit with thunder showers coming the next few days.  That's the end of our summer weather!  I'll be sad to see it go although we will still have some lovely days ahead.

Have a great day!  Thank you for visiting and following me for these past 5 years.  I truly appreciate it!

Blessings,
Pam





32 comments:

  1. Pam, such a lovely time. The photos remind me of our time in Maine. We are just about back home, and I really miss the cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gorgeous sea views! and happy 5th blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos of the shoreline and the pier! I love the shape of the Blockhouse! I've never seen one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on five great years of blogging! (You're such a pro that I thought you had been at it much longer.) Fun to see your beautiful photos of St. Andrews with the beautiful boats and water and the sweet cottage. I have only one complaint: no video of Murray playing some moody blues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a very lovely spot to visit and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on five years! I think I've been with you since the beginning. Your photos today are feasts for the soul and candy for the eyes. Thank you! Love that piano picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your five years of blogging has gone by in a flash. Congratulations. St. Andrews by the Sea looks like a wonderful place to visit. Love the line up of cars waiting to get across to the island. And those smooth seas - so calming to watch. The cottage is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh how these remind me of New England. So lucky to be living that close to the coast. Such gorgeousness. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on your 5 years of blogging, Pam! It's posts like this one today, of the beautiful and charming St. Andrews by the Sea, that inspire me to travel to the Maritime provinces! How lucky you are to be able to return again, and again, and enjoy its picturesque magic. Thanks for sharing the seaside splendour!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a beautiful place yo go to escape the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet Pamela, you have been so generous and given us five years of beautiful photos and stories of your lovely Canada, life with your charming family (yes Murray I'm sure you are very charming and a pianist too, fabulous!), each one special, memorable and right from the heart.

    Lovely place this St. Andrews, I so enjoyed looking around with you - the water is lovely and it all looks really peaceful.

    Congratulations Pamela - looking forward to the next 5 years and more, following along through sunshine and snowfall!!!

    Warmest hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos Pam, of such a lovely little town. Looks like you had a great day there...how could you not?
    Congrats on five years of blogging! Here's to the next five!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations on your five years in the blogging world - it's the same number for me also :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I loved every one of your fabulous photos, Water makes great photo shots, and that cottage such a beauty I could visualise it as a picture on a chocolate box when it had it;s thatched book. Congratulations on your 5 yrs of blogging I hope there'll be many more years. It's.always a joy to see your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What gorgeous shots. And congrats on five years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  16. But of course all showed the beauty of the place :]

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice visit! St. Andrew's is such an interesting little town.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What beautiful photos of St. Andrews, Pamela! They brought back wonderful memories of our visit there in 2011, at your suggestion. Wish we could have gone back there on this August's trip but we ran out of time. Your home province of New Brunswick is just beautiful and there is so much to see and do. Thanks for sharing...
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  19. A perfect place for all those memories now and then, Pam!! I love the spot where your kids used t explore...I would too!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos . Looks like such a pretty place ! Oh congrats on your 5 years of blogging and your 948 posts . It has cooler right off here this morning it was only 10C dewy and chilly even . Thanks for sharing lovely post ! Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations on your 5th Blogging anniversary. What a lovely place you visited. I love the piano playing on the lawn!!
    Yes we can feel that Autumn isn't too far away although today we have a beautiful sunny day, 23c, here in the UK.

    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Jackie in Surrey, UK.xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful views and photos . . .
    I would love hearing Murray play some funky blues!
    I wouldn't mind staying in that hotel too . . .

    ReplyDelete
  23. St. Andrews by the Sea is a lovely place indeed! We just spent some time there today and saw many of the same sights you shared. We are about to go check out the 'reversing falls' here in Saint John. Thanks so much for all your suggestions...and for being such a good ambassador for Fredericton while we were there. We so enjoyed our time with you and Murray.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a truly wonderful place! It looks like something I would enjoy visiting. The little lighthouse is darling - and such beautiful buildings!
    You must have started your blog around the same time as I did! Isn't it fun? I love writing my blog even though I had times in between when I didn't feel much like writing at all. However, I do think that is quite normal. We always need a break every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  25. St Andrews looks like a charming spot to visit and doesn't seem too crowded. Your photos of the landscape are wonderful. I like the pics of the low tide.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My reply may be as long as your post Pamela !
    First of all I just loved seeing all the photos ( that house is over the top amazing ) and how it connects to your childhood and your children's childhood ) I've never seen a piano in a park - I just LOVE that !
    Ok now here we go..............we had a mansion here in Montreal which was where Sir William Cornelius Van Horne lived - and where it remained in his family until 1973 - when the then mayor of Montreal decided it had no cultural bearing to Quebec since it was " English " and he allowed it to be demolished for a modern glass building instead. A Sofitel hotel now stands where a once magnificent heritage mansion once stood. It's so ironic because it was the English that had most of these Victorian buildings built in the first place here in Montreal. Anyway there you go - I have a post written up on it in my drafts that I haven't published yet - that's the difference between New Brunswick and Quebec - you preserve and treasure heritage no matter what language they spoke - we systematically try to destroy anything that has " Le Maudit Anglais " attached to it " lol.
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam....you are the best water reflections picture taker! So beautiful!
    Congrats on your 5 years...glad we got to meet...not many of us bloggers can say that!
    Love that cottage....gorgeous!
    Wish I had seen these parts when I was visiting.....crummy rain!
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Pamela,
    Congrats on your 5th anniversary as a blogger...I think I've followed your blog for most of that time. Your photos of St. Andrew made me feel as if I was there with you; hope we can return their on our next visit to NB.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  29. I always enjoy visiting seaside towns such as this one, Pamela. There is always somethings so enchanting about them. The hotel looked like a beautiful place to stay for a special anniversary or occasion.

    Happy 5 year blog anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Blogaversary!!! I hope that you enjoy many more happy years of blogging!! What a beautiful and interesting place to visit. I love the outdoor piano, lots of fun to be had there I am sure. The cottage that you showed with the shingle roof that was thatched is very interesting isn't it, the way that they have done the shingles does give the effect of the thatch somewhat with the curved edges and so on doesn't it. A lovely look! I hope you get to stay in the hotel again in two years and again more times after that, as it looks like such a lovely place to stay! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...