summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

beautiful Albert County, NB





On the rural road to Fundy National Park in New Brunswick one drives through many small communities.  The scenic drive is one I always enjoy as the road winds up and down hills and follows the Petitcodiac River.  Two of the communities are Hopewell Cape and the village of Hillsborough.  They are about 20 minutes from the big city of Moncton and are becoming popular spots to visit with several shops and cafes.  There are several museums to tour too.  When we returned from Hopewell Rocks in August we stopped in Hillsborough to visit a couple of antique/vintage shops.  The first shop was in the old Hopewell Cape United Baptist Church in the photo above and is called "Alter Girl" (they are on Facebook - Alter Girl Collections).




Everything inside this building is original - including no heat.  :)









I love the dresser and old tool box!




In Hillsborough we stopped at the old post office building and I went inside to visit "The Olde Post Office" (also on Facebook) vintage shop.  

It still has it's bank of beautiful brass mail boxes in the lobby. (sorry  - bad cell phone photos)  Do you remember these beautiful old post office boxes?  I sure do!

Inside the post office where we can see the backside of the mailboxes.

I absolutely love this china pattern!  There was a whole table set with it along with vintage silver and crystal.  Just gorgeous!

I left there (hubby was 'resting' in the car) and went across the street where the old train station is which is the home of the New Brunswick Railway Museum.  When our children were small there used to be a vintage train ride on the Salem-Hillsborough Railway that took tourists on a ride through the back country of Albert County.  The train crossed the very high Hyram Trestle across a valley which terrified me due to my fear of heights.  All the rail tracks are removed now and the trains sit idle at the station for people to walk on and see this mode of transportation.  I've ridden on quite a few trains in my life but not in a very long while.  Have you enjoyed the sounds and smells of a diesel train engine pulling the railcars along the tracks?

Notice the old spelling of Hillsboro on the sign.




There was even an old fighter jet parked out back.


It's the end of the line for these trains.

We enjoyed our visit in these pretty communities.  There is a lot of history in that area that was first settled in 1700 by the early Acadians until the expulsion in 1755.  In 1766 a group of settlers arrived with surnames of Somers, Lutz, Trietz (Trites), Jones and Stieff (Steeves) ~ all common names in the area even today.  More info on the Steeves family can be found here and on the Lutz (Lutes) family here.

I hope you enjoyed my little tour of Albert County and it's 'treasures'.  It truly is a beautiful part of New Brunswick and one could take 2 days or more to take it all in especially if planning on visiting Fundy National Park and Hopewell Rocks.  Moncton can be your 'home-base' to make day trips from or there are several motels and B&B's along the route.  A week in the area would be ideal.  My blog friend Faye, of the blog The Blessed Hearth, actually shared a post today of her drive along the beautiful backroads of Albert County!  Faye grew up in Albert County and I grew up in Moncton which is in Westmorland Co. just across the river from Albert Co.  I hope you will stop by her blog and see her pretty photos of the rolling hills and farms.

Thanks for visiting.  

Blessings,
Pam

34 comments:

  1. what a nice place to stroll. You know...I've NEVER set foot on a train. Hmmm. Ohhhh. That's not true. I rode the train on a business trip to Stuttgart. How could I forget that? Old synapses I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Pam.. I love your photos and have to take another trip to Hillsborough.. I just saw your comment this morning and will link with you also... Bless you, my friend... Loved those dishes, too... xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to step back in time to ponder how people lived then. I like the blue and white china too, and the array of teacups in the cubbyholes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post and photos , I see so many lovely tea cups that some of our tea bloggers would love to get their hands on lol . Looks like a fun place to visit and so much history in it to .Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we are all looking at the beautiful tea cups! What a neat door and building! Love the train too....we look for them everywhere we go! Enjoy your day my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, enjoyed all the antiquities of your photos, especially the church and the rail cars. The church was a bit shocking, however, seemed kind of sacrilegious to put that pink/purple paint on the building. Thanks for taking us on the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to visit this area! I enjoyed each of your photos, and I must say that I'd love to take those dishes home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a beautiful area, and a good use of old buildings. The fighter jet is a surprise... it looks like a Voodoo. They have one of them in the War Museum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds familiar leaving husband in the car while I go looking especially when its a store and he's already been to his quota. That is an interesting church with a striking door!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how I would have loved tootling around Alter Girl with you Pamela - and yes, the china is gorgeous!
    Glad you had a fun day out - Bob waits in the car sometimes if he can't find someone to involve in conversation. Yes, he does love to chat - it's the Irish in him!!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. A great tour Pam, so much to see!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There are so many neat places to visit right out your back yard, Pamela. I bet I would have loved that train ride from many years ago! The churches are like so many where my husband, and his Father before him, pastored in rural Missouri. Only they weren't painted, of course! Now so many are being sold off. Sometimes there were barely more than a couple of families keeping them going, but they were faithful! Thank you for sharing your visit to Hillsboro.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very much enjoyed the tour. I felt as I were with my peeps, many of whom attended that very church. Thank you for the pictures and the information. Think that I'll skip over to some rolling farm country.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a wonderful trip, Pamela! Those shops are just delightful! It would be hard to drag me out of them without filling the car with treasures! We have a little steam engine train here near Mt. Rainier that we have taken a few times. I've also taken the train to British Columbia. It is sad to see the old tracks going to seed. We had a rail line abandoned here and many, many volunteers turned it into a trail system that will eventually go from Puget Sound to Mt. Rainier. It is nearly complete after many years and runs through our tiny town. Wonderful memories for you - going back to your hometown. Lovely tour - thanks for taking us along! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow...what a great place to visit. I love the old church-turned-antique store....great old buildings and everything is just so picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love all the pink accents. so pretty. love how folks recycle reusable items. so smart & creative! love the trains. we are always a fan ... hope you are well. loving the fall temps we have been having lately. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  18. That gorgeous window with the pink. Absolutely wonderful. Those are the types of things that make this world such a diverse place to live. Wished I could visit New Brunswick one day. So beautiful there Pamela. Have a great weekend. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your photos are the true treasures. That PINK really draw the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely photos! My guys often 'rest' in the vehicle while I pop into places too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    I found you over at Faye's. :-)
    Lovely post. I like the pink. :-)
    Carla

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh, thank-you for the nostalgic tour. I'd love to see it first-hand someday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great places to visit . . .
    Loved the tea cups and saucers in the post office letter boxes.
    Great display . . .
    Liked all your train, planes, rails pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love windy roads and drives in the countryside. Finding a church like this would be just the sort of adventure I'd like, you know the mail slots caught my eye especially when I went onto the other side and say all the mailboxes. Such a small world, lol imagine you both writing about the same subject. I enjoyed the tour of the countryside, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  25. My urge to collect was triggered by those delightful plates I love blue and white...they are so gorgeous. What a incredible place to visit...now if only it wasn't across the country.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  26. My urge to collect was triggered by those delightful plates I love blue and white...they are so gorgeous. What a incredible place to visit...now if only it wasn't across the country.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very cool! I've never seen an antique store in a church before! Lots of neat old stuff in there! Love the train cars and the old jet!

    ReplyDelete
  28. The pink entrance is just stunning - what an eye catcher! The store looks like a place where you could spend quite some time. So does the old post office. You always visit these lovely places and it really makes me want to go to New Brunswick one day.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fun place, I love the pink accents and all the vintage treasures.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely pictures, Pam, of your adventure in Albert County. How sad about the railway stopping service around these beautiful parts of New Brunswick! No, I have never had the pleasure of experiencing such trains, but know I must, being the romantic that I am!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm from Albert County too. I really enjoyed your pictures, Pam. That old yellow tool box, which I love, is holding my first set of dishes. I had two sets. The yellow rose were my every day china. And oh my, those trains sure bring back memories! We used to travel by train every other weekend back to Riverview after we moved to the Island. It was such fun for my brother and me. I will never forget those days. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. Isn't this weather just marvellous?

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  32. The shades of pink on the doors and window make it cleat this Baptist church is "a bit" different! I love old trains. What a pity these don't run anymore. I'm hoping yo spend some time tomorrow afternoon taking photos of a steam train near us. I sure hope the weather is good for it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...