summer 2016

Monday, November 23, 2015

our first pretty snowfall




Sorry about the light reflecting in the window.  I should have turned it off.  :)

We awoke at about 6:00 am to the muffled sounds of cars passing on the road....muffled due to the snow falling outside....our first snowfall of the season.  We were warned yesterday of a lot of snow....possibly 15 cm.....and a lot of rain for southern New Brunswick and Nova Scotia.  It is zero here and in Halifax NS it is 15C.  That is quite a difference in temperature.


As I write this post the snow has stopped and it's only about 11:00 so I guess we got about 5 cm. on this high ridge we live on.  Just enough to make it pretty.  The temperatures will be dropping to -7 tonight and won't get above freezing the next 2 days so the snow will stick around a couple days anyway.

The government plough doing its job.

It was snowing heavily for about half an hour and looked so pretty.

Snow on the hydrangea bush.


The goldfinches and chickadees were feeding.

I heard a light thump at the living room window and knew right away what it was.  I quickly walked over and looked down on the deck to see a sweet chickadee laying there in the snow, wing splayed out and head bent.  I grabbed my jacket and gloves and slipped into my duck boots and went out to see if it was still living.  I could see its little chest moving up and down so I gingerly picked it up and protected it in my gloved hands for a while.  It slowly started to straighten and move so I carried it around to the picnic table on the back deck, cleared a spot and set it down.  It didn't want to leave my hand and clung to my finger.  It was surrounded by snow to protect it and in 10 minutes it was moving more and flew away.  They are so sweet and I hope this little one survives.


I have a busy week ahead including a little day trip to Woodstock and Centreville with girlfriends from college days to do a bit of shopping and lunch.  Should be fun!  

Thanks for visiting.  And. A big welcome to my new followers.

Have a great day and wonderful week ahead.  

I also want to wish my American friends a blessed Thanksgiving week.  I know it is busy for you and you may be scarce on here so my wishes go out to you early.  :)  Enjoy the time with family and friends.

Blessings,
Pam

31 comments:

  1. poor baby...I hate when the little guys mistake our glass for a nice flying venue :O(

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first snow is always special and beautiful don't youthink. I love it, so pretty.
    Have a good week Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first snow is always special and beautiful don't youthink. I love it, so pretty.
    Have a good week Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweet chickadee. lovely fresh snow. we had our first freeze of the season in texas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The poor wee bird... You sure have a lot of snow compared to us but we received the rain.. I looked outside a
    few minutes ago and was surprised to see everything covered with snow.. Our first.. I much prefer the rain.. smile..
    God bless my friend.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a fair bit of snow! We had flurries on the weekend and snow is actually accumulating tonight, but not that much. An hour or two north of us, west of us and The Muskokas got quite a significant amount on the weekend. I hate driving to work in snow every day but it sure looks pretty. Have a great week, and stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favourite kind of weather. Usually birds hitting windows, if they're still alive, they just need a bit of time to collect their senses and then they're good to go.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your lucky to have the roads cleared, as I live off the beaten track we have to wait for the farmer to pass with his tractor, it's on the main roads that get cleared.. We too had our 1st. flutter of snow yesterday. So pretty but the sun came out & it was gone in a few hours. I'm glad about that, I'm not ready for snow yet. So pleased that sweet little bird survived his bump into your window, I often have to rescue a dazed bird.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It does look very pretty, Pam! It snowed her overnight but you got more than we did!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. All it takes is a ground cover (even less than that) to get me excited. The snow is so beautiful and I am quite impressed that they came a cleared the road with so little snow. We have to have about a foot around here to get them to clear out our subdivision! I am so glad the little chickadee was fine. I just cringe when I hear that familiar sound of a bird crashing in to the window...in fact, I had a little sparrow hit mine last night and the little guy was OK. Earlier this summer I had a cardinal that wasn't so lucky. Have a wonderful time with your friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That first snowfall is magical. I do love the way snow silences cars and other noises. Beautiful photos of your area, Pam. And that sweet little chickadee - you have a tender heart - I hope it does well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad the little Chickadee was ok . Lovely photos , WOW ! all that snow missed us way down here as parts around us got quite a lot . It is pretty though . Oh sounds like your gona have a fun time with your friends hope the weather is nice for you all then . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely snow shots. We had our first snowfall on the weekend.
    Poor little bird, I put decals on my windows to deter them from flying into them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely shot of the little chickadee

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's looking mighty festive over there! I saw images of the snow in New Brunswick on the news the other night. (Yours are better!). Sweet chickadee!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so pretty but oh so cold, stay warm.
    Merle............

    ReplyDelete
  18. As much as I hate being cold, when I lived where it snowed, I always loved seeing the first snowfall. Your photos are so lovely and remind me of some great moments.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a tender spirit you are! I am sure that your little chickadee will be back feeding and a bit wiser this time. The snow does look lovely. We got nothing here, but some just a mile away saw a little bit. It will be in the 50s by Thanksgiving and Black Friday. I am busy, thank you for the Thanksgiving greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So sweet and kind to Little Chicadee!"
    Not surprised . . .
    The birds hit our front windows and I always run and check to see if they survive their "rough flight!"
    So far so good . . .
    Love your pretty snowfall!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The first snowfall is always amazing...the nature goes from dull grey to crispy white!
    Lovely and chilly pictures you show us!
    Warm hug,
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful first snow. I'm impressed how quickly the snowplow arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a pretty snow! And a pretty Chicadee. Enjoy your special outings this week!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pam, I just love the close up detail your photo of Chickadee allowed. I live in the country and have to hang reflectors to prevent the bumps and I hate it when they do. No snow here in the Ottawa Valley yet, but we have had very cold temperatures so I'm sure any minute now...

    ReplyDelete
  25. It got up to 17 here!
    You got lovely snow, such beauty!
    I think the Chickadee will make it. From everything there is a blessing, you got such an awesome photo of him for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm sure you're not wanting snow again already, but it is beautiful! Fortunately, we haven't had any birds ever crash into our windows. I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  27. The snow hasn't found us yet, but I know it will be any day now. I'm happy you could save the little chickadee, they are so sweet. Thank you for the Thanksgiving wishes, too!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lovely chickadee rescue. So pretty

    ReplyDelete
  29. Poor little sweetie...I hope that it made it, my heart always breaks when they hit the windows. And we do what we can to make them harder to mistake for a open space.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks like a winter wonderland. Keep warm and dry. I am sure that little chickadee is happy to be rescued.
    Xo
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...