summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

snowshoeing in the park and photo sharing issues




I got a nice set of snowshoes for Christmas from Murray and have had my first run at using them on New Years Day.

I took them for a test on New Years Eve day out back first.  I think I'm really going to enjoy them and it will be so great to get out in the fresh air this winter for some exercise.  I have a couple of friends that snowshoe as well.

Murray took this one of me out back for my test run.  I like the poles for balance when breaking new snow.


The group "Friends of Mactaquac" organized a snowshoe walk on the Alex Creek Trail in Mactaquac Provincial Park on January 1 so we decided to take part.  It was a beautiful sunny and mild day (1C) and no wind....my kind of winter weather.  :)

About 60 people of all ages came out, including about 20 kids, and a few dogs.  The Friends of Mactaquac provides snowshoes free of charge for those who don't have any or may want to try it out before purchasing their own.  They also can provide cross country skis for the groomed ski trails in the park.  All Free!!  


The beautiful trail.  I did a post about this trail last August (see labels at the end of this post) and the damage caused by post tropical storm Arthur in 2014 when thousands of trees blew down and much of the trails were destroyed as well as the bridges over the creeks.  Last summer a crew repaired the trails, removed trees and built new bridges over Alex Creek.  My friend and I tried to get through the trail last August and couldn't get very far because of the severe damage.  I could not believe how lovely this trail is now and will look forward to hiking it next summer too.

The brand new Alex Creek covered bridge.

Now....here is the same scene last August....the bridge all heaved from uprooted trees.



They even made a sign for the bridge and hung a wreath and Christmas lights.  I hope this bridge will last a very long time through whatever weather it is subjected to and that it won't be vandalized.    The crew did an amazing job!

At the warming hut there was a bonfire going and hot chocolate was provided.  I admit I was pretty 'warmed up' from the walk through the woods so didn't need any more heating.

Murray and a local 'friend of Mactaquac' chatting.  Murray carried his old snowshoes as the trail was very compacted from many people going over it.  They are the 'bear paw' style and were made about 45 years ago by his Uncle Boucher (pronounced Bow {as in a boat}-cher) of Tabusintac, NB.  They are designed for breaking trail in deep snow.  His uncle made hundreds of snowshoes over the years and strung them with fishing line.  He used rubber from inner tubes to hold them on over ones boots which works very well.  We have an old pair made by him that are made with sinew.  Sadly, uncle is in a nursing home now but we bought the last pair of children's snowshoes he made about 5 years ago and our grandson has them.  

Here is another very old pair of snowshoes made with sinew plus a native made basket backpack.  Oh... and a cute little puppy. :)


What a great time we had.  It felt so good to get out and get some exercise and fresh air, and enjoy the beautiful scenery.

********

The photos of our snowshoe hike in the park were taken with my new iPhone 6.  I love the camera on it as it takes much better photos than my old 4 did.  However, I'm having issues my MacBook Pro recognizing them so I had to load them into iPhoto instead of Picasa.  I can't edit them at all either.  In order to use these photos I had to share them from my Facebook page and save them to Picasa then edit them.  What a nuisance!  Here I thought I'd have some nice pics from my new phone to use for my blog and Blogger doesn't even recognize iPhoto unless I upgrade to Google+.  I think.  I'm not really sure what the issue is.  Does anyone know what I need to do?  Also, over the last week Murray loaded OSX El Capitan to my computer thinking it might help with some 'issues' I've had with slow speed.  Hmmm.  Not sure if that worked and it also made some new issues to deal with.  Technology!!  It's so frustrating isn't it?  Has anyone else tried El Capitan?  What do you think of it?

*******

We are in a very cold snap for a few days here.  Last night was our coldest at -18C (zeroF) and it's only -14 at noon today although the sun is shining brightly on the white landscape so it looks nice out there.  The wind is blowing so the windchill is -18.  Brrr.

Thank you for all your good wishes for 2016.  I appreciate them and you!   Have a great week ahead.

Blessings,
Pam


34 comments:

  1. I've done some snow shoeing, and prefer cross country skiing, but haven't had an opportunity yet this season.

    I tend to download my photos from either my camera or my mobile phone through a multi-card reader. They've never given me any problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sure looked like a fun time! It really can be so frustrating when our "gadgets" don't work like they supposed to! I hope you can get your issues resolved. I have no words of wisdom for you. This is a girl who's dumb phone takes really bad pictures so I don't ever use it for that. One day I know I will have to get with it and upgrade :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. brrr...this Floridian can't get over...yall WALK in the snow?

    I'm heading to the beach in my flipflops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many folks are doing a wonderful job of maintaining the trail. That bridge is adorable. I can almost smell the fresh winter air and I know that you will enjoy the winter months this year. Wouldn't it be wild if winter becomes your favorite season? You're doing the right thing...embracing it!

    What skill Murray's uncle has. I am so glad that your grandson even has a pair of his great-great uncle's snowshoes. Quite a heritage!

    Wish I could help with the techie stuff, but all I can do is say, "there, there." Sigh. (I email all photos to myself and download them to my photo files where I can edit. Is that considered low tech?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful photos . Looks and sounds like all had a fun time to ! Nice snow shoes you got there . I do like the photo of the old snow shoes I have used those kind them many years ago when I was a kid lol ! We have never used El Capitan no reason to for us . I hope it all gets sorted out for you . As for your iPhone photos https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204095 here is a website that will help I hope takes you through the steps so your computer can see the iPhone photos . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wish i had tried snowshoeing before i moved from wisconsin almost 32 yrs ago. i think i'd have enjoyed it immensely! :) good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How nice to have some new snowshoes to get out whenever you want. And what a beautiful trail...how great that it has been repaired so that it can continue to be available to so many. I don't know anything about your photo issues (I don't use a Mac) but I just scheduled a post for tomorrow using photos (from our phone) from our trip to the beach yesterday. I'm having to learn to publish posts on blogger when I've always done it in Live Writer and it takes me about 10 times longer! lol I hope I can get used to it soon and speed things up. Enjoy your afternoon! It's only in the 60s here today and we think it feels chilly! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela, I use a Macbook Pro (6 years old) and iPhones - I now have a 6s but previously had a 6 (now being used by my husband). Download the new Photos app onto your Mac from iTunes - it's free (although what I'm going to explain should work with iPhotos, too, if you have photostream enabled). Enable Photostream on your devices. (This is different from iCloud - I don't pay for storage on iCloud) Any photo you take on your phone should transfer to your Mac via Photostream when you're connected to the Internet. Mine transfer wirelessly over the Internet. I export any I want to use on the blog to my desktop (I just make a folder called "Photos" and leave it on the desktop. After I use the photos on the blog or Facebook, I delete them from the desktop folder - they will still be in your Photos app. I am also running El Capitan without any issues. If you have any questions about what I've written, you can reach me by E-mail. I'm not a computer guru by any means, but I have used Photos and Photostream for a while with success. If I use my DSLR camera, I usually transfer the photos via the card reader onto Lightroom. I prefer Lightroom for editing. We have several pairs of snowshoes - I just took my grandson snowshoeing when he visited us. I prefer to cross country ski, but sometimes go on the snowshoes if I'm with people who don't ski. I love the old "authentic" snowshoes you photographed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you have been able to use the new snowshoes! That's a beautiful trail! Making snowshoes like those older ones has to take some skill or lots of practice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like wonderful exercise and fun! It can be mighty cold out, but if there's no wind, I don't mind it. Snowshoeing would be wonderful, especially with a group. Enjoy that great Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My goodness, what fun to have some snowshoeing buddies! I haven't got any snowshoes, but do plan on trying to locate a pair of cross country skies to fit me in the next week or two. I love cross country skiing, and I bet I would love snowshoeing too! Such a fun time to meet up at the warming hut and visit with everyone out on the trails! As for your phone issues, I do hope you get them resolved! Barb, who posted above, seemed to offer some helpful advice, and I do hope it helps you! All that transferring sounds quite tedious! Enjoy your snow and cold weather...lol! It was down to 0 F here for the past week, and got down to -2 F. Cold cold cold! Glad it has warmed back up today to the 30s, lol! Have a blessed and wonderful day friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good for you and your snowshoeing.
    We have very little snow, more snow predicted for next week though and I hope to get out for some hikes.
    Love the picture of you snowshoeing. . . . really great!
    Not sure about your tech issues. I have to do a ton of things to get to my photos and editing them has been non existing. I still haven't been able to get my photos directly into a blog post. The only success I have had is to use Blogsy on my iPad for doing posts and photos.

    Good luck, it looks like Barb, above, has some suggestions for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Snowshoes look great! I've got two of the older styles, plus one modern pair. Out for the first time today. I link my iphone to the computer just as I do my camera, and then import the photos. Then i can edit them and use them. The final two photos in tonight's post are iphone photos. I use Lightroom for importing, organizing and editing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your photos, I use my directly from my IPhone/or iPad photos, I use a free app called Blogsy. It's easy and you can size your photos just how you want. I don't use Picasa to download any photos any more. Hope you get your issue worked out.
    Xo
    :) Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW! You can borrow snowshoes for free? Very cool way to find out if you like walking with snowshoes. We just went through a cold snap. Now the weather people are promising us a few days of milder weather. Still winter but not -18°C!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year!!! Enjoy the snowshoes and your new phone - hope you get your problems straightened out - yes, always something with technology!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely snow shoeing experience! It sounds like a great exercise that actually is fun. I've never snow shoed but would love to one day - we can do it in the Sierra.
    I'm not sure what causes your photo problems. I only know that Google is making some changes again for Blogger bloggers (ha!) like getting rid of the Google Friend Connect, which pretty much means that only people with a Google account can follow your blog. I just read this on another Blogger blog and don't really know much more about it. I just recently got a smartphone which I had avoided up to now. It's certainly convenient, but I try to keep its use at a minimum. We'll see where it will take me.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot to say that the new bridge is beautiful. Unfortunately my first thought was "I hope it's not being vandalized"...

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fantastic present and I can imagine you built up the central heating as you made your way through the trail. Very jealous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great present for you . And your right out there on them. Best fun coming for you it sounds by your blog.
    We have a snow snap also . Happy New year!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I take pictures with my iPhone and they automatically go to my mac computer with the "cloud." They stay in the cloud (I guess) unless I ask them to come into iPhoto. That is where I store my photos and do my photo editing. You can do quite a lot with iPhoto. With each photo I want to use on blog, I ask for it to download to my desktop with the name and size I give it, and from there I load it on to the blog post I'm working on. Its quite easy. Any last minute edit I want to do, such as cropping or reducing the size, I do with Preview on my computer while the pic is on the desktop. When finished loading on to blogger, I just toss them into the trash. I'm not sure if this is helpful, but its how I've always done it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. el Capitan pops up everyday here on my Mac...waiting for my son to do something with it!! Perhaps I will tell him not to install it!!

    I love that you are out there in the snow...how fabulous! Nothing like the crisp air, and sunshine to get your blood flowing!
    Enjoy your week Pam...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. The new covered bridge is very nice Pam! I'd like to try snowshoeing - how did you find it?
    I downloaded El Capitan when it came out and other than a few start up glitches that they fixed, it's been fine. I upload my photos to 'Photos' on my Mac, iPhoto has been phased out and they're stored differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Charming photos - and how wonderful that the bridges and trails have been restored.

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad you're enjoying your new snowshoes. We have one set of old style snowshoes purchased years ago (over 40) when we lived up north. Actually, I think Tim got them in high school. We don't need them here in Victoria and he would like to get rid of them, but I love their look and used them last year as a Christmas decoration on the porch. This year they would have blown away in the winds we had.
    I hope you can solve your photo issues. I have no useful advice to offer, but I'd take a cup of cocoa beside that fire.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is a beautiful trail and new bridge! Love that they hung lights and a wreath on it. I have had a few small issues with getting my iPhone6 photos on my computer, but I eventually work through it. I wish I were more tech-minded to explain what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. How exciting and what a great way to go exploring! The new bridge looks fantastic doesn't it, I hope that it lasts a long time and doesn't suffer any weather damage this winter. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful job they made of the trails and the covered bridge, Pam! I'm so glad! I have never been in your area but NB holds a soft spot in my heart because of course it was my first home. All of my fondest memories are from over there. My sweet Auntie P lives over there too as well as other family. What fun to get out and snowshoe in the fresh air and with a group of folks who love it too!

    I had trouble with PicMonkey for a while after I got my Mac but a blogger friend told me what to do and now I am able to use it. I have to admit I don't like changes very much especially when they are computer related. I got a new camera for Christmas and I'm trying to work out the kinks in that too. The young people have such an advantage over us because they know exactly what to do with all these new gadgets.

    I enjoyed seeing your photos and I want to wish you a very Happy and Healthy New Year, my friend! I have been busy with company over the holidays so I didn't get to visit many folks over the holidays.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a beautiful trip and a nice way to exploring the nature...great pictures too!
    Have a lovely weekend, take care.
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  30. This makes me want to run out and buy a pair of snow shoes! And you look so cute in the photo Murray snapped. The park is so beautiful in it's winter coat of snow. I'm glad they were able to make the needed repairs to the park and the covered bridge is quaint!
    I don't have any answers for your technology questions, but I do have Google Plus and it is easy to install if that will hlep with the uploading of your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pam, that just looks like a lot of fun! If we had snow outside our door we would certainly invest in our own snowshoes too. I almost bought us some for Christmas but wondered if we would make the trek up to find snow! Enjoy, your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks likes so much fun. I wish we had snow.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Pamela ... looks like you had a wonderful time and what a great way to enjoy the outdoors in winter time. Thanks for stopping by my blog ... I sure have missed a lot of time here so I'll have to do some back tracking to catch up with everybody. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year. Hugs - Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Pamela ... looks like you had a wonderful time and what a great way to enjoy the outdoors in winter time. Thanks for stopping by my blog ... I sure have missed a lot of time here so I'll have to do some back tracking to catch up with everybody. Hope you had a Merry Christmas and wishing you a Happy and Healthy New Year. Hugs - Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...