summer 2016

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

rising waters and Scottish country dancing






Hi Everyone!  I'm sorry I haven't been around for the past week but it has been busy and I really haven't been out taking photos at all.

It is flooding season here in our area as you can see by the photos.  I took these on Saturday afternoon on our way to a wedding.  This is normally fields with the river running just past the thick line of trees but we've had snow melt, rain, and some mild temperatures (in-between the freezing ones!) that have brought the brooks, streams and rivers up to flood stage.

The migrating Canada Geese are finding a nice resting spot here and there were hundreds of them there on Sunday evening.

From one angle it almost looks like a lake.



************

We went to a beautiful wedding on Saturday of our friends daughter and her Scottish husband.  It was such a special time of celebrating this sweet couple.  Following the dinner there was a Ceilidh ~ Scottish country dancing.

Murray's last name....Gordon....is Scottish and my grandmother was from Scotland and emigrated to Canada as a young woman in 1910.  However, we have never had the opportunity to partake in Scottish Country Dancing until we attended this Ceilidh.  Ceilidh's are popular in parts of Nova Scotia (and I'm sure elsewhere in Canada) and in particular, Cape Breton Island, but this was a first for us.  I must say we had a blast!  Although I only danced one time and so did Murray, each with different partners....and mine was wearing a kilt.  :-)  I tell you this kind of dancing is a good workout.  Of course I'm not used to dancing, although I certainly did my fair share during high school, but Murray and I haven't danced in decades so it was quite interesting.  We did start out in the last dance together where the partners swung in a circle to the count of 16.  Well.....guess what happened to me.   I got so dizzy I couldn't stand up or even see where I was.  It was awful so we got off the dance floor immediately and I sat down.  Thankfully, the dizziness only lasted for half a minute but I was disappointed not to participate in this final dance.


This is the young Scotsman that asked me to dance but that is not me with him.  Scottish country dancing is similar to 'round' dancing here in North America.  The first number they did was to a Scottish song but the rest were mostly to country music.  There are many types of dances all with names that I already forgot ~ along with the dance steps!  A young lady 'called' the dance steps which definitely helped but they were confusing and it was hilarious to watch people going the wrong way or mis-stepping.  I'm sure there were some sore feet afterwards.  What was really nice at the end of the evening was when everyone gathered in a large circle around the bride and groom, joined hands, and stepped toward the couple raising our hands with a 'whoop' several times.  We also sang 'Auld Lang Sine' and that brought a tear to my eye.  

***************

It is raining today and mild (for here in April).  We have sunshine for the rest of the week and the temperatures will come up by the weekend.  Finally!!  I can see some green in the lawns and some trees have buds forming.  A lot of the birds have returned and it is wonderful to hear them chirping and singing.  The ponds are almost ice free and soon we'll hear the spring peepers, which I love.  I am anxious to get out and do some yard work as there is a lot of branches etc. that need picking up but the ground has to dry out a bit first.


I hope you are all enjoying some nice spring days.  
Thank you for visiting!  Have a great day!

Blessings, 
Pamela


23 comments:

  1. A wedding is a wonderful reason for a celebration! Your body may have failed you in the dance, but your spirit was right there dancing. I love to watch and enjoy the music. Many blessings to the newlyweds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...that is a LOT of water! I hope your home is higher ground and the flooding will not affect you. I enjoyed the photos and video of the dancing on facebook...how fun! Gotta love a man in a kilt! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is some serious floodwater! I've been part of a traditional Scottish wedding out in Cape Breton as a groomsman, though the groom didn't ask us to wear kilts. We all got vests with the clan tartan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Scottish dancing looks like lots of fun, and good exercise too. My hubby, Murray as well, also has ancestors from Scotland and one of these days we would love to go over there and check the areas out. Never be sorry for not posting more frequently, we all have real lives that occupy our time. I'm cutting back a lot of my website, especially now that gardening season is approaching.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have had our share of the spring flooding and I'm glad it is behind us. The migrating birds enjoyed the seasonal ponds that formed but now the farmers are beginning to do their spring planting. Your pictures give a great view of the floods and birds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a fun wedding, Pam! I learned square dancing as a girl, but haven't done it in years. I have ancestors from Scotland on both sides of my family. The flooding is amazing - hope it doesn't get any worse. Love to see the Canada geese. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun. I'm sorry for the dizziness, but I can imagine that happening to me. Certainly you could still tap your toe and enjoy the music and watching!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of water there our flood season is over now here all though our river is high on the banks still . Some of my family my cousins are Scottish and live in Scotland I talk to them through Skype and FB . Looks like all had a great time there that kind of dancing is fun as is the Celtic and Highland dancing Scottish Country Dancing ,Scottish Country Dances are classified according to The music to which they are performed. Reels, Hornpipes and Jigs are all in Quick tempo and use the same steps; Strathspeys are in a slower tempo and have different steps.
    A few dances, perhaps more properly classified as Ceilidh dances since they most commonly appear at the informal social events of that name, are performed to other tempi. Just a bit of Scottish dancing info for you .Thanks for sharing lovely photos and post , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed hearing about the wedding and the dancing. What a beautiful celebration! And I'm glad you are heading into Spring! Enjoy your week. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Pamela - I was visiting Barbara Lillian's blog and seen your comment and stopped over to visit. Your photos are beautiful. My mother is Scottish so I have a bit of that running in my veins as well. Always love hearing the bagpipes. Will stop back to visit again soon. Hope you have warmer weather coming your way. I know we are starting to warm up now after having been extremely cold this month. Take care and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful wedding celebration. Dancing is great fun (and a lot of exercise). It would have been especially great having Scotsmen there to twirl everyone authentically.
    I hope the floods abate and warmer temperatures arrive soon. When we watch the weather on National in the evening I always think of you and other blogging friends across Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My grandparents came from Scotland a little before 1910, and their last name was Murray. My grandmother was a Stewart - what a lot of history those Scottish clan names could lead too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The wedding and dance sounds wonderful . . .
    So fun seeing and hearing about the different traditions . . .
    I hope the flooding is mild and you'll be cheering in springtime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The wedding celebration sounds so fun...the dancing would probably make me dizzy, too! I hope the flood waters go down quickly. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope the flooding there does not get any worse! We are expecting either heavy rain or snow this weekend--sucha wet spring!

    The Scottish wedding sounds so wonderful! I've been to a couple authentic Irish weddings and the traditional dancing is also very lively. It makes a wedding so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have some serious flooding there! I hope the waters recede soon. I've noticed many of our local creeks are high this spring too.
    My brother married a Scottish girl, and we travelled to the very tip of Scotland (Durnoch) for the wedding. There were lots of reels all night, but the only one I remember the name of was "Whip the Willow". The girls were the willows, and they were certainly whipped around by the men! It was the most entertaining wedding I've ever attended. My husband and I took ballroom dance lessons ahead of time to help us out. It really did help, and those Scottish lads ALL knew how to dance!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  17. How exciting to attend a Scottish dance! I too have never been to one, and we have Scottish ancestors in our history. It sounds like something wonderful to watch and enjoy, but I would probably be like you, on the sidelines, lol!

    I hope that the flooding this year causes no damage, I know it is always a worry every year when the ice starts to melt.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The dancing sounds like great fun! Hope that all will be ok with the flooding/thawing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pam, it is still looking like winter there. Your fields look like some around here when it is rice season. I'm glad your dizziness only lasted for a little while. We used to dance all the time but the last time we tried, I couldn't catch my breath for a week! Oh, the golden years..Happy Week to you..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like a fabulous wedding celebration, Pam! What fun.
    Thanks so much for your sweet visit,
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  21. All that water is so impressive! Glad to hear that things are warming up for you. The wedding sounds like it was delightful. We have Scotts too, and love all things Scottish. I love when folks embrace traditions. Busy times for all of us. Sorry I don't visit as often, but I think of all my Canadian blogger friends warmly and like what you share from your exotic part of the world. So nice that you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The flooding at snowmelt is sometimes scary. I hope yours doesn't do damage. Our melt has started but very slowly, so water sources aren't too affected yet. We're to get another big snow storm this weekend. I love seeing the dances, but I'm usually just a spectator.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...