summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Monday, May 9, 2016

weekend adventures




Tulips I bought last week.


Hi everyone.  I hope all the mothers who visit here had a special Mother's Day yesterday.  We went to church where a very special young mother shared her journey with infertility and how the Lord has blessed her and her husband with 3 beautiful children.  We didn't go out to lunch with the thousands of other families but had our usual Sunday brunch of bacon, eggs, toast and tea at home.....and that is my favourite meal any time of the day!  Our son came over for a visit and gave me a beautiful, sentimental card (he's grown up!!) and a gorgeous Calla Lily plant.  I've never had one of them so I hope it survives!  Our daughter called via FaceTime and we had fun 'visiting' with her and 2 of the kids that were home from church sick.  Murray took them on a tour of the yard and shed and his lawn tractor.  They loved that!  At supper time I had a hankering for a DQ blizzard treat and thought we could go downtown to the green and enjoy our treats.  We went for a walk along the green and half way across the walking bridge (the wind was so cold on the river!) then back around the Legislature building.  It was nice to get out and enjoy the air and beauty of the trees starting to leaf out, and maybe burn off a few calories!  It was a good day.


My mini treat.  :)  with fries on the side.  :-)

Calla Lily - so pretty

I want to thank you all for your kind comments, and ongoing thoughts and prayers for the forest fire situation in the Fort McMurray area of Alberta.  The fire has moved away from the city but is still burning and travelling toward Saskatchewan plus the ones in northern BC are still burning along with one in Ontario.  Please continue to pray for those who are displaced after having to evacuate Fort McMurray as their future is not known nor will be for a while, and for those who are exhausted from fighting these fires for the past week.

*************

Saturday evening we went to a barbecue at friends along with a young family with their 5 children.  We had a great time.

The river view at our friends home in the evening was so calm.  It had actually been a lovely sunny and warm day until late afternoon when it clouded over.

Sunday was sunny and warm and breezy.

 A willow tree along the green in downtown Fredericton is starting to leaf out.  Note the pretty blue skies that direction.

The Bill Thorpe Walking Bridge, part of the Trans Canada Trail System that was a railway crossing over the St. John River.

Clouds were building up in the west.

The New Brunswick Legislative Assembly building is the one with the dome.  The large white building is the Beaverbrook Crowne Plaza Hotel.

Looking back across the river to the south side, which is the prettiest side for architecture and scenery but never easy to take photos looking into the sun.

The walking trail that goes through downtown Fredericton splits here with 2 routes - one follows the former rail bed (not pictured) and the one shown follows the river in both directions.

Looking back toward the bridge.  Soon the trees and bushes will block the view with leaves.

This weeping willow tree is only half of its former self.  The right half broke off during Tropical Storm Arthur in 2014.

What a huge hole this broken tree has left now.  

The dark clouds brought rain through the evening.  Around 2 AM I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep because of the wind.  I got up and looked out the back door window and saw everything was covered in white.  Snow!!  It was 1 degree and the wind was blowing wet snow all over.  Crazy!  It is melted now but the wind is gusty and cold out of the north so it's only 4 degrees.  It will be back in the mid-teens tomorrow which is normal temperatures for May.  The grass is greening up, trees are swollen with buds and leave starting to pop.  Forsythia is in full bloom everywhere and other spring flowers are blooming.  I love this time of year!

I hope you all had a lovely weekend and enjoy a great week.  I'll be back with more photos from our walk soon.

Blessings
Pam

   



20 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela

    Your Mother's Day sounds like mne. We celebrated on Friday so as not to go to a crowded restaurant. Plus, my children like to celebrate with their children, so it leaves the day pen for them. My husband made me a nice breakfast and bought me pretty roses.

    The fire in Alberta is such a tragedy! I made a donation to the Canadian Red Cross. I know they have been of help to the people there. Fire hits home, as I told you on facebook, as we have high fire risk here.

    Love all the pretty clouds in your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great day. And such pretty shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you had a lovely weekend Pam. We had the same brunch at daughter's house and chatted with family in BC. Like you, I much prefer that type of gathering than going to a restaurant. Having family that have worked in restaurants they always say Mothers Day is the busiest day of the year. Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a busy weekend...wonderful pics of it all! Love me some bacon and eggs...any time, any day, just like you said :) I hope to be able to catch up some missed posts during my week away. You know I have been keeping up with you on facebook. What a tragedy about those awful fires...so very sad. Have a blessed week, Pam :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds like a wonderful way to spend the day! Hope it warms up this week and you see even more Spring blossoms! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't realize you live in Fredericton.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It remains bitterly cold here...felt as if it could snow last night, but didn't. Your pictures along the river are beautiful. Perhaps it is psychological because you said it was cold, but it even looked cold. Say, my son gave me a nice card this year...not all goofy and bought in the joke aisle. = D I loved it! So hearing about your card made me grin. Keeping this ongoing situation in western Canada in prayer. People must be so exhausted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only ever seen Calla Lilies in white. These are so lovely.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos of your walk. I received a pot of calla lilies, too, and will be putting them into the ground soon. I hope mine thrive. Mine are also pink.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some really lovely shots there. Clouds, river, trees...always punch my weeeeeee button. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy you enjoyed a relaxing Mother's Day . . .
    Face Timing Murrary on the tractor was a fun idea . . .
    I think your eating a DQ Blizzard made the snow fly through the night!
    (Probably not . . .)
    I think it has been the craziest weather ever!
    Enjoy the Calla Lily . . . very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous nature shots ~ my favorite are the 2 of the bridge ~ great composition~

    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely photo's, I enjoy the river views ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous flowers! I LOVE the river view and the willow tree! My grandparents had a beautiful willow on their farm.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you had a good weekend! Our weather has been very odd too, two weeks ago it was snowing and hailing then we had brilliant sunshine and very warm temperatures over the weekend now it is raining non stop. Hope it settles soon for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The flowers are so pretty! I love bacon and eggs, too, and is one of my most favorite meals. You have a beautiful place to walk and I enjoyed your photos. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spring is headed your way, slowly but surely. The Blizzard must have been a satisfying treat - I'm a Peanut Buster Parfait gal, myself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great shots on your walk. Sounds a little breezy though. Sounds like you had a good day though. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...