summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

summer is flying by







You know summer is flying by when the Brown-eyed Susans are blooming.  I can't believe it is now August.  July has been a beautiful month weather-wise here, but a crazy busy one.  We still have company with us.  My sister, who is visiting from British Columbia, had to have emergency surgery in Halifax, NS for a detached retina on July 23.  She now has 'the gas bubble' and 'buckle' in her left eye and therefore cannot fly for several more weeks (maybe until September!) until the gas is totally depleted from the bubble.  It has been a rough time for her as she is supposed to be flying home today.  

This is a long post with lots of photos.  Enjoy.




We did get to visit Moncton and Hopewell Rocks though before 'it' happened.  {By the way, 'it' can happen to anyone but in particular to 'older' adults just due to aging. If you notice flashes of light, sparks, colours or dark floaters in your eye get to an ophthalmologist or an ER immediately as time is of the essence.  If caught early enough a tear can be repaired through laser surgery and recovery is much faster.}  We spent a delightfully hot and very windy afternoon at The Rocks with our sister-in-law and niece.



This is the famous "Elephant Rock" that collapsed this winter.  The 'elephant' is on the left and the gap between it and the next one was filled in with rubble, including "The Keyhole".  Time and tide took its toll.

The "Elephant Rock" and "Keyhole" in August 2015.

This is the memorial to the 3 RCMP officers killed in the line of duty in Moncton in July 2014.

We walked along the trail in downtown Moncton that evening and viewed the Honour Garden.  These sculptures are beautiful and each one as individual as the man they represent.  

The Petitcodiac River in Moncton aka the 'Chocolate River'. Doesn't it look like a nice chocolate cheesecake or mousse to you?  :)

We even saw the Tidal Bore come in.  The Bay of Fundy has the highest tides in the world and during high tide the water which flows into the huge bay also flows up the Petitcodiac River making a wave.  Some brave souls even surf the wave.

There is also an Irish Families Memorial along the river commemorating the Irish that settled the Moncton area.


We later caught the sunset over the river through a window in a model covered bridge in Riverview.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That leads us up to the weekend of July 22 - 25.  I include the 22nd (also my birthday) as that is the day we found out about the detached retina and Murray and I drove Maggie to Halifax for surgery the next morning.  While she was in the hospital resting after her surgery Murray and I went for walks down on the waterfront, up Citadel Hill and through the Public Gardens.  Halifax is a beautiful, busy port city on the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia.  Murray had a business meeting on Monday which was kind of good timing so we stayed over to give Maggie a bit more rest then we went home late afternoon getting home by dusk (it's a 5 hour drive).  

Here are some photos from Halifax.

We stayed here the first two nights.  They even give a special rate for hospital patients and family, although the rooms set aside for this are smaller than normal but comfortable.

The new Public Library building.  I guess the view of the harbour from up there is wonderful.  

The beautiful St. Paul's Anglican Church.

The Wave sculpture along the boardwalk.

The long steep walk up to Citadel Hill.

Looking down to the harbour.

Us with the Citadel Hill clock tower in behind us. {a kind tourist took our photo after we took theirs}  It was thundering while we were walking and we climbed up the steep hill to the top (still thundering) took some pictures then headed back to the hotel.  The storm was severe but we made it safely and waited it out on the hotel's front patio until it let up then walked over to the hospital to visit Margaret.  A person could definitely keep fit by walking around this city!!


Waiting for the thunderstorm to end on the patio of the hotel.

The beautiful Halifax Public Gardens on a gorgeous and hot Sunday afternoon.

This beautiful fountain in the gardens was commissioned to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.


A beautiful allee of old trees.

Once we had our bearings we found that the Citadel Hill was next to the park so we climbed up again for a better daytime view.

This is the view of the entrance to the Citadel, which was a fortress built to protect the city.  We didn't have time to tour although we did tour it many years ago.  The red chairs are part of Parks Canada's 'Red Chairs' theme across the country.


Back at the Public Gardens.

The beautiful Victorian bandstand.  There was a really great band playing some old 60's and 70's rock songs so we sat in the shade of a huge tree and enjoyed it for a while.

The tea house which serves teas, coffees, light refreshments and ice cream.  There is seating in front of it for the concerts.



Despite all the stress of my sister having eye surgery, we are home and trying to carry on.  Margaret and I have gone for a couple of walks enjoying the local scenery and hope to do more visiting of family during her extended stay with us.  Recovery from this kind of surgery can be long and there is also the risk of the eye tearing again (!!).  We are praying that doesn't happen and that she will have full healing and recovery.  She is anxious to return home to her husband and family as she's already been here almost a month.  

I'm sorry I haven't been visiting anyone.  There just hasn't been time it seems, but I hope to visit a few of you today.  I may not comment, just read.  :)  I must say we've had some spectacular summer weather so far and hope it continues into this new month of August.  I hope you all are enjoying the summer as well.

Take care.

Blessings,
Pam





19 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. Loved all the shots. I love traveling with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear of your sister's eye difficulties. How hard it must be for her to have to wait to go home. I'm glad she's with family so you can help her. Halifax is a beautiful city - I recognized many sites from our visit there last June. Glad you're having good weather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear about your sister's eye. How lovely to have an extended visit, but I can imagine how anxious she is to get back home. Your pictures make me want to visit Halifax--the wave sculpture looks like such fun and the library--wow that's amazing. I would think that would be a real draw for that library besides the books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful photos . My you have had a busy July . Hope your sister recovers well and soon ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about your sister, but glad she's getting better. Halifax is a lovely city. I really like the citadel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, so sorry to hear about your sister's eye, and subsequent surgery. Hope it heals quickly and thoroughly. Great photos, hope you can get in some more easy day trips with your sister while she heals. I am in Ontario for another day, then fly home Thursday. My new little grandson is pretty sweet....

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is truly a beautiful place, very unusual rock formations.
    Hope your sister is fully recovered soon.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's always so scary to have something happen when you are on a trip. I know she is happy that she is with you and she can rest while she gets better. I'll keep her in my prayers my friend. That sure is a nice photo of you and hubby! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I am so very sorry to read about your sister's torn retina. What a difficult thing to experience at any time - doubly so when far from home. Thank goodness she was with you and not in the Back of Beyond!
    I enjoyed your views of Moncton, a city I know well as I have quite a few family members there. I have seen all of those sights and can attest to the impressive nature of the tidal bore. Halifax is also familiar to me, but because it is a bigger city and I was always visiting cousins while there, I have never, ever been to the Public Gardens nor have I walked up Citadel Hill. I would love to do that one day!
    Take good care of yourself as you care for your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely shots. Hope all is well with your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorru to hear about your sister; hope she recovers well. Great pictures of the rocks and Halifax. Mrs. F.G. arrived at pier 21 in 1956!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pam...these are absolutely wonderful pic of all of your visits! What beautiful surroundings. I certainly hope your sis will recover soon she can return to her home and family but as I've been seeing on facebook, it looks like you are keeping her busy...or is it the other way around??...lol :) Enjoy the rest of your time together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope that everything heals properly for your sister. Thank goodness she has you to stay with. I'm sure she is missing her family but I know she is getting wonderful care with you. We are heading to Victoria in September to visit with family. Perhaps I'll be back to regulat blogging after that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am glad that Margaret is doing well and I will pray that things progress in an extra timely fashion so that she can get back to her husband and family soon. What a crazy thing to have happen while on a trip.

    Oh I am sorry about the changes at The Rocks and the loss of the keyhole. Things just keep on changing. Glad that it happened in the winter when no one was around...that would have been scary.

    I recognized the public garden photos and some of the iconic scenes. I visited Halifax in 2000 and 2001. It is unlikely that I shall ever return to see the sights again, but I did enjoy my time there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What beautiful shots. The Hopewell Rocks are a welcome sight in particular- I recall walking among them years ago.

    I hope your sister's recovery goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pamela dear, such a shame this happened to your dear sister on her visit. I just pray her recovery goes well and is fast.
    I was in Halifax so many years ago I can't really recall much, so your pix were a reminder of how lovely that area is in Summer.

    BTW, I love your new "do" it really suits you short!
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are some beautiful photos! You have indeed been busy, but it appears you're enjoying the summer! I hope your sister makes a full recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Exceptional photos Pamela . . .
    I hope your sister continues to heal . . .
    Scary thing to have happen . . .
    Good news she had immediate attention . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great photos Pam...
    I have walked those hills many times...exhausting!!
    Hope your sister is healing well...
    Love your hair like that!
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...