Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

busy as beavers

I wanted to share a few more pictures of our recent walk in the woods.  It is so amazing when I see the work of God's creatures in the wild.  On our recent walk at the local beaver pond trails I saw some work done by the beavers.


The beavers managed to cut down a lot of trees and just left them
in piles laying every which way until they can use the wood
in them for their lodge or food.


A close up of the beaver lodge piled high with tree parts.
The beavers are sleeping in there right now. Shhh.


This picture is at an angle but shows where the beavers
chewed on the side of the tree on the right and actually chewed
through the one just behind it until it fell.


The ponds form when the beavers build their lodges and block
streams or brooks.  There is all sorts of wild life here - frogs, birds,
ducks, small fish and lots of bugs.  In fact, it is almost unbearable to walk
in these wooded trails in the summer because of the deer flies,
mosquitos and blackflies.  There are also rabbits, foxes,
deer and the odd moose in these woods though I've never
seen a moose or deer while on the trail.
Now you know where the term 'busy as beavers' comes from!

This is a large white pine tree.


Can you tell which side of the tree faces north?  The one with the moss on it. :-)


This poor old tree is full of holes made by woodpeckers.


Snow laden fir trees - so pretty.


This bird house may be for wood ducks that frequent the pond.
It is actually out in the water - safe from predators.


Even beech leaves left on the branch look pretty with snow.


One last shot.  I like how the snow lays in a pattern on the boughs.

Well, that is the end of the pictures from our walk in the woods.

I am so thankful for each of you who stop by and visit
and I love sharing my pictures with you.
I hope you have a blessed day!

Pamela







5 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela,
    I always enjoy your photos, they are great. I remember from when I was a kid that the beavers were often seen and heard down at the creek where we so often played. We even tore down one beaver dam that was causing the creek to back up badly.
    Yes, my friend, if you ever come to Winnipeg you must let me know and we will have a lovely visit with tea served in my little kitchen. It would be my pleasure. I really hope that it happens, too!
    Hugs, Cindy cjstower@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Pictures!!! I LOVE that birch tree you are sitting on in your picture, what character it has. GORGEOUS!!! I'm your newest follower. I hope you will like my blog and FOLLOW ME TOO!!! be sure to look at my Christmas in Connecticut post from December
    Warm Winter Hugs,
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    There is lots to see on your walk in the woods-thank you for taking me along!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela, love all your photographs. I have become a follower. Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Pamela!!

    Thought I'd come over for a visit ! Love your photos! How is the weather in the Maritimes right now? I hear you are having a cold spell!
    Lovely place New Brunswick!
    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...