summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Monday, March 14, 2011

an Irish tea

Welcome to Tea Time Tuesday with an Irish theme. I am going to be joining Sandi at Rose Chintz Cottage. Even though I haven't an ounce of Irish blood in me, that I know of, I thought I would do a little Irish-style tea with my Denby stoneware dishes in the Shamrock pattern.

This is my centerpiece which is more springy than Irish which makes it
Irish Spring!  :-)  I don't have anything resembling shamrocks other than
my dinnerware.


We were married in 1977 ~ almost 34 years ago ~ and stoneware
dishes were all the rage.  Denby was one of the more popular brands
and also very expensive.  But then, so was china! I still don't have a complete set 
for 10 but there is enough for 7 or 8 guests I think.  I chose this pattern
because of the soft browns and greens with a touch of aqua.  Funny
how these colours are so popular again today.


Here are the cream and sugar dishes.  Do you see the spoon?


It is from my grandmother's and the pattern is called Acorn.


I found out about this pattern from a 2004 Country Living article.
The pattern is from 1915.


Do you see the square dish with the tealight?  Believe it or not it is really
an ashtray!  It was my mother's and it is the only 'Irish' thing I own.
It is Belleek.  Can you imagine using such a fine piece of porcelain
to put your cigarette ashes in and then butting it out after?! 


See the pale yellow embossing?  They don't make Belleek with the yellow any more.
I had it appraised by a representative of the company in 1998 at the local
Royal Doulton store and she said it is not made anymore but would have been
from  the period of 1965 - March 31, 1980 by the trade mark on the bottom.


The trade mark.
I think it makes a sweet tealight holder don't you?


I have changed out the napkin rings in this picture.  Pretty flowers replace
the green glass ones.  Don't you love the shamrock pattern on the dishes?
Notice that the saucer is dark brown and glazed.




Rose coloured Alstroemeria in my creamware pitcher.


I changed the centerpiece to this giant crocus in a cream pot.
It's not a real one as they don't ever get that tall :-)  I found this at Winners
a few years ago and love the bright yellow blooms and the square pot.

The wreath around the centerpiece is a garland that I bought at Michael's
last year.  The cutlery is International, another wedding gift.  The place mats
are from Super Store and the white napkins are vintage linen (perhaps Irish??) ha!
The flower napkin rings are from Claire de Lune (a Canadian candle shop) and
were only 39 cents each. I don't remember where I bought the green glass ones.
The silver candle holders were my mother's.  The green teapot is from Sears
Whole Home.  I am on the look out for a pretty flowered real china teapot though!



Thank you so much for stopping by for tea today.
I do hope you'll drop over to Sandi's at Rose Chintz Cottage
for Tea Time Tuesday.  Just click on:

It is a beautiful sunny day here and I think I should go for another walk.

Have a wonderful day!

Blessings,

Pamela


22 comments:

  1. Just beautiful, love the green, Have a wonderful day! Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your table is so beautiful. We were married in 1976 and I know what you mean about the dishes. Have a Happy St. Paddys Day

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful setting. I just love your nest centerpiece; it's so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Irish table setting. Everything came together wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lovely throw back to the 70s and I love your pottery. Would be delightful to sit for a meal or a cup of tea with you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela,
    I love your dishes! I especially love the aqua in them and I'm so glad it's a popular colour for decorating these days! Your tea setting is wonderful and Irish or not, it's very cozy! Thank you for sharing and joining me for tea today.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your table is gorgeous for your Irish tea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such pretty shamrock dishes, Pamela! What a nice Irish tea you have set up for us today.
    Blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Pamela,
    I really love your dishes with the nice shamrocks on it. And your Acorn spoon is a real treasure. Maker was Georg Jensen. It is still available, a real classy design. Happy St. Patricks Day.
    Greetings, Johanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your table is lovely ~ time for irish tea ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your table is beautiful! I love all of it, dear Pamela, the old stoneware is so sweet with the shamrocks. How nice that you have saved such lovely items through the years.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Irish tea table is just lovely.
    I should have kept my stoneware set of dishes; we were married in 1972 and I remember them, and the popular colours from then well.
    Now, I go into antique stores and see the same things I have in my cupboards that were shower and wedding presents.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love your Denby stoneware and your Irish table is so wonderfully set. I do have four Shamrock mugs I might have forgotten about but thanks to your post I'll go get them ready for the 17th - corned beef and cabbage, raisin scones and Irish Cream in our coffee for dessert. The luck of the Irish to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful design on those dishes! just perfect for St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pam! OH, what a lovely table you've set! Your dishes are just timeless and I love them. Your centerpiece speaks springtime!
    Thanks for popping in to see my little birthday girl. Being a long distant granny is hard, isn't it? We'll have to console each other! :)
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful Spring table!! Great for St. Pat's Day too!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely pattern of stoneware. If one waits long enough, colors will come back in style with different name and just a tad of more or less color than the first time, just to be different, lol. I also love your centerpiece. Irish Spring,lol reminds me of the soap with that name. Loved those first commercials when it came out. But your centerpiece is something that would go lovely in my own home so I particularly admire it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi lovely,

    Guess what? We got Denby for our wedding too! It's a bit different to yours but still has that gorgeous Denby feel. I love it as much today as I did when we got married twelve years ago.

    I love your table set like that. I'll be round for my tea in just a tick!!!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your Irish Spring table setting! It is truly lovely. I'd have to say I love your use of the ashtray as opposed to its intended use - it is too pretty.
    Your dishes are beautiful - love the colors!
    Hope you have a very blessed day,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a gorgeous table setting...love the shamrocks! Happy St Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you so much for your lovely and generous comments and I'm also your newest follower! I will be visiting you for sure Pamela.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very beautiful and welcoming, Pamela! Just the touch of spring we need this week. Thank you for stopping by and your kind comment. :) Georgianna

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...