Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Sunday, April 3, 2011

nest building love doves

Mourning Doves (love doves) taken April 2/09.

We have a lot of Mourning Doves in our area and there are about 10
that live around our house as it is surrounded by maple and softwood trees
like pine, hemlock, fir, spruce and cedar.


This pair of doves were preening each other one spring day 3 years ago.
Don't they look happily in love?
They nested in the hemlock tree at the back of the property the last 3 summers.


Here are 3 doves taking shelter on a rainy September day in 2008.

See how this one blends in with the terrain?  I took this on March 30,
the day before the storm.  This dove was looking for nesting material
in my rock garden which was becoming quite bare of snow.


Here's the dove with a twig in it's beak. (note the lack of snow!)


The dove would pick up a piece of plant material then drop it in favour
of another that would work better.  So cute to watch.
I took these pictures from the office window at ground level and
enlarged some of them so you could see the pretty doves.


The nest is in the spot I marked where it's quite white looking.
They build there every year. 
Last summer we cut down a huge ugly pine tree that grew next to
and sheltered the hemlocks.  Unfortunately it left the hemlock somewhat
opened up to the elements but the doves came back to rebuild in the same spot.

Then came along the April Fool's Day snow storm! 
I know it's early to be nest building but these doves were anxious to
be started on their family I think.  I do hope their nest is safe.


Here are Mr. and Mrs. Dove yesterday sitting in the tree near their nest,
which I am sure is full of fresh snow!  Poor love doves!  I wonder what
they will do?  Do you suppose they are discussing the decision to build
their nest in this tree again?  Do you think Mrs. is upset?  Mr. had his
head turned away as if he was sorry to put her through all this.

I haven't seen the love doves today.

I do hope they return as I love their cooing in the trees in the early
morning and at dusk all summer long.

I'll keep you updated.

Well, the snow is melting under a beautiful sunny day today.  It is still
very white out there and will be a few days before this fresh snowfall
is gone, hopefully taking with it the old winter snow too!

We spied lots of robins and blackbirds on our way to and from church
this morning and there are hundreds of Canada geese on the river.
The summer birds are making their way back day by day.

I hope you're enjoying your day and I thank you for coming by.
Please leave a comment so I will know you visited.
I love to hear from you!

Bye for now.

Blessings,
Pamela

8 comments:

  1. Great post on the love doves. I am sure they are quite happy in your tree and won't let a "little" snow put them off!!

    Jackie in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love these birds!!!
    My home back in Ontario used to be filled with them. I always fed them year round. I loved to watch them peck around my cement patio and listen to them coo.
    They don't exist here on the island. Such a pity every home i lived in back in Ontario i would attract them.
    Lovely Post!

    Pamela xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela,
    I love to hear the mourning doves too and watch them in the garden.You got some nice shots again.
    We didn't get as much snow as you but it sure was cold and nasty.It is sunny now though and I hope it will all be gone soon.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos of the mourning doves are really special. I've never seen these birds before. I do hope that they will be back to build their nest very soon. It must be a delight to watch them each spring

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beautiful photos you have captured! I still can hear the mourning dove at my grandmother's house from my childhood days! Whenever I hear one that is what I think of!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are beautiful photos Pamela! I hear doves here but I have never seen them. I love the sound...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pamela,
    Yes! I noticed that the geese are coming back, too.
    I love the Love Doves, they are so sweet. We have doves, but they are the other kind, the pretty grey-blue ones that sound so wonderful. They kind of coo, oh well, you know what I mean.
    Have a great day!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post made me smile this morning:)
    Rene

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...