Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Friday, July 15, 2011

Kings Landing revisited


When I first started my blog on August 15, 2010 I did a little post on
Kings Landing Historical Settlement.  I also did 2 other posts after that.
At that time I only had a few followers and I don't think many saw these posts
and the beautiful scenery of this historic village.

So, I thought I'd re-post with some different pictures of Kings Landing Historical Settlement
for you to enjoy.  Kings Landing was formed in the 1960's when the Provincial
government decided to build a hydro powered dam across the St. John River
at Mactaquac.  This resulted in a large headpond or lake to be formed for 100 km.
up to Woodstock.  The homes and buildings in the village were rescued from along
the river before the flood waters filled up the basin.  You can read all about Kings
Landing and it's history at http://www.kingslanding.nb.ca/

Here are some photos from last summer.

A collage of some of the homes.  The large white one is the Hagerman house and the
upper left one is the back of the house.  In the 1800's some homes were only painted
on the front for 'appearances'.




If you are tired you can catch a ride in a sloven wagon.


This is the view from the dam's bridge looking towards the river with the grist mill on the right.
The workings inside the mill are from the Jewett's Mill which used to be near Mactaquac in
a community of the same name.  It is one of the many communities that was 'flooded' after
the dam was built and is known as "The Vanished Village".


The Hagerman kitchen pantry.


Mrs. Hagerman cooking soup on the wood stove.
It smelled so good.

Some of the 'visiting cousin' - a program where children can spend a week there
living and learning the ways of the 1800's.


the Joslin farm




The church and the Perley House.


This is in the Kings Head Inn where you can have a lovely lunch.



This blanket was woven on site.  I love the pattern and colours.


This is probably one of the most recognizable scenes of Kings Landing ~ the saw mill.

The Ingraham house and gardens.

If you are ever visiting in New Brunswick, Kings Landing is a must see.
The costumed staff play the part of the original home's dwellers and love
to tell the history of the houses and the people who lived in them.
Go to the website for more information and history.


I hope you have a wonderful weekend.  It's supposed to be sunny and
in the high 80's (28C) here.  My kind of weather!

Blessings,

Pamela



18 comments:

  1. Pamela
    Your photography is fabulous. I always love visiting pioneer villages.
    We enjoyed one just last summer with my daughter and her family. I doubt I'll ever get to NB, but I would visit here if I could!
    I have always liked cedar shake buildings after they weather and gray.So coastal!!
    I'm not sure if you remember that you won that red bag from my blog. If you would like to have it, please send your address. I'd really love to get it sent out to you!!
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved seeing all the familiar scenes so beautifully photographed. I must say it's mighty hot eating at The King's Head Inn in summer. The meals are hearty and delicious and old-fashioned. My favorite thing about the entire place is that wonderful bread they bake and sell. It's similar to Anadama, but so.much.better. If you ever get your hands on that recipe, I so want to know! Someday, I should do a companion post and link to this one. I'll not make it there this summer so this was a wonderful treat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you just love Kings Landing. Pam, I think you were born in the wrong era. I can picture you as a 19th century pioneer!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a couple historic places like that around here too. It's always nice to visit and walk around, viewing the ways of yesteryear. Sounds like you had a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a wonderful place to visit, if we ever get to NB, we will visit Kings Landing. I am so glad you reposted these photos, I don't know if I saw the original post. This is such a picturesque area and you got some great photos!
    Have you only been blogging for less than a year? I thought it was longer. I'm so glad I saw these!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is a place similar to this here in Ohio but it doesn't have the big buildings...The King's Head looks wonderful. Have a great weekend and thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos! I loved reading about Kings Landing. The part about the program for kids to learn about life in the 1800's too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Pamela
    I'm so glad you posted this again, a great historical area. It would be nice to have lunch at the Inn and what a great program to have children live as our ancestors did and appreciate all that they have now that make's life easier.
    We didn't visit Kings Landing on our trip out east several years ago but if we ever come out again, it will be on my wish list.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful place to visit. I love to visit pioneer villages and see how life was in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kings Landing and Louisburg were two of my favorite stops when we used to drive 'home'. From here, now, we have to fly, so we miss all of NB. Lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You live near so much lush beauty! I loved seeing the cottages in Beulah too! I wish I could have one! It's always been a fantasy of mine. Isn't it everyone's? But I grew up with pueblo style architecture! My mom grew up in Pennsylvania and when we visited there the first time I knew I had missed out! haha

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful and peaceful place. I wish I could visit it in reality as I enjoyed your photo tour so much. Great photography!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I especially love the horse pictures! So peaceful. One of these days Roger and I need to head over there and have a tour. We've passed by on various trips but have never stopped in. It's just the kind of place we both would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pamela! Oh, this is such a beautiful post! Thank you for sharing this lovely area and your snaps are so pretty!
    Be a sweetie,
    shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pamela- your blog is fabulously beautiful!! I'm not sure how I found you- ( but I'm gonna hang around!) my husband and I visited New Brunswick last year- we are in love with the beauty of your homeplace! Love seeing your wonderful photos- brings back some great memories!
    Have a wonderful week--
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pamela this is just the sort of place we love to explore. What wonderful images! Thanks so much for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post. I live in Fredericton,and visit KL often too, my daughter works there. You have one tiny mistake - what you have labelled as the Joslin Farm is actually the Ingraham House...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vee at "A Haven For Vee" blog, sent me over to see this post.

    What a lovely place to be able to visit! You are so lucky. -happy sigh-

    "We are born with whirlwinds, forest fires, and comets inside us. We are born able to sing to birds and read the clouds and see our destiny in grains of sand. But then we get the magic educated right out of our souls."
    ~Robert R. McCammon

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...