Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

wildflowers and milk bottles

I've been putzing around the house, both inside and out, the past week.  We had some beautiful sunny, hot days recently and it's really feeling like summer.

Do you love picking wildflowers?  I do.  And I have a collection of milk bottles and a handmade carrier.  So, I thought I'd combine the two and here's what I came up with.

I found purple vetch, yellow paintbrush, Queen Anne's Lace, daisies and
another soft feathery white flower. (anyone know it's name?)


This milk bottle carrier used to be brown plywood until I spray painted it Heirloom White.



Do you remember the days of milk delivery?  I grew up in the city where we put out
our empty bottles on the door step and the dairy truck would come and pick them up
leaving full bottles for us.  I can still hear the clank of the bottles in his black metal carrier
as he walked to and from the truck.  We'd have to collect the milk from the doorstep as
soon as possible so it wouldn't spoil in the heat or freeze in the cold!  I remember the top
part of the bottle would have cream and we would shake the bottle to blend it into the milk.






Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment.  I enjoy hearing from each one of you.

I decided to change my header with some of my favorite summer pictures.
Do you like it? 

I hope you are having a beautiful week and enjoying our summer so far.

Blessings,

Pamela

14 comments:

  1. Hi Pamela, I love the new header!! I also love the use of the holders and the milk bottles. I too remember the milkman delivering the milk. When I was training to be a Nursery Nurse it was in the countryside and we had the milk straight from the local farm delivered in a churn and we had to put it into big bowls and then when settled take off the cream and make the porridge for the children!!

    Bye for now, Jackie in Surrey, UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had exactly the same un-homogenized milk in glass bottles when I was a child in England. I remember our milkman Tom who came every day for years, I can picture him still! We made homemade Devonshire clotted cream from the thick, creamy 'tops'., or just poured the top of the bottle over our Corn Flakes - the only cereal I recall back then. As a teenager, my Sat. job was at the dairy shop where I served the clotted cream to shoppers, locals, and holidaymakers who mailed it off with dry ice to their friends up North!

    Gorgeous new header collage Pamela - so Summery.

    I see several of my favorite wildflowers too - Queen Anne's Lace and daisies - I adore all wildflowers and would much prefer a bouquet of them more than anything formal from the florist........and a milk bottle is the perfect vase too! Did you find all these flowers close to your home?

    Yes, I'll definitely look you up in NB when I have a chance to come back.

    Happy week dear.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pamela
    I like your new header, a collage can cover so many aspects of a person's life.
    Yes, I remember milk, and bread delivery to our house. My husband's family home had a milk box built right in to the brick by the side door. It was not very deep, just enough to hold the bottles.
    The wildflowers you picked are pretty, I've seen an awful lot of daisies this year.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful combination of colors and textures all looking terrific in the vintage milk bottles!

    Thanks for sharing.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was like a walk down memory lane! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. carole mcallisterJuly 5, 2011 at 7:26 PM

    Beautiful Pam and I love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a milk bottle from the dairy that used to be in my town, now of course closed. I don't remember it but I'm told a horse and buggy would deliver milk to door steps every day. I'd love to have a carrier...I've looked on eBay but have never found the perfect one. Your header is stunning! Have a great rest of the week and enjoy your putzing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember milk in bottles and cream that rose to the top. We lived outside of Edmonton in 1954 and I have a photo of me as a toddler, standing beside the milk truck, which was pulled by a horse.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all of your creative ideas shown in your posts. I'm your new follower.
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pamela
    I love the mosaic header. You are so smart to be able to change it yourself!
    And I always wondered what that purple flower(weed?) growing in my flower bed was! I love it

    Funny how we live so far away from one another, but have all the same wild flowers in our yard.
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the header! And I also love the milk bottles. In fact, my thank-you gift for my aunt and uncle was two milk bottles from the town from whence they hail. We may be close to being birds of a feather because I'm using a milk bottle to hold the flowers from the garden today. Not wildflowers, not four in a sweet holder, but pretty close. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  12. Say is one of those photos from KL?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooh, nice header!! I love your pictures!!

    We had bottles just like that when I was young - in fact, if you have your milk delivered in Englabd, I'm pretty certain it still comes in bottles like that!!

    They look LOVELY with the flowers, and in your gorgeous carrier!

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pamela- what gorgeous images- love the purple and the vintage milk bottles!! These pictures are just over the top beautiful!! Thanks for sharing- I'm loving seeing your amazing pictures!
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...