summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Thursday, August 18, 2011

I've got the blues


Yep, I sure do.

But I don't mind one little bit.

These blues make me very happy.

On Saturday Murray and I took a load of 'stuff' to the thrift store.
We were going to have a yard sale but I decided not to bother.
When we renovated our kitchen I had a lot of things I didn't use anymore
so decided they needed to go to another good home.

Three boxes gone! 


I had seen these depression glass dishes there a couple weeks ago but thought
they were too expensive to buy but Murray said I could get them. 

I was so excited!


Aren't they pretty?


I searched on line to find out the pattern of these dishes.
I found similar patterns called Madrid Federal or Madonna Ice.
A cup and saucer is going for $20.00.
I bought 4 cups and saucers and 4 fruit/cereal bowls for $35.00.
I think I did pretty good. Don't you?

While I was walking from the drop off area through to the sales area I spied this in a box:


A pretty aqua green vintage medicine cabinet!
It wasn't in the sales area so I asked a clerk what the price would be.
She left and came back with the cupboard and a sticker that said $2.00!!
I said, "That's great!  Thank You!"

Now where am I going to put it??  I don't know.  I may paint it Ivory Bisque which is
similar to Heirloom White and sand off the edges so the blue will show.
Everytime I go to HD to purchase Heirloom White it is sold out.
I've used the Ivory Bisque before and like it too.  Whoever owned this did
a rough paint job and I think they actually ran out as some areas aren't covered at all.

Those were my big bargain finds this week.  I hope someone buys the things I left there.
There were teacups, a Blue Mountain Pottery tea service, and lots of kitchen things.

The thrift store is called Bibles for Missions.  Do you have one in your area?
They are really nice and have quality items for sale.  They even check on line for
the value of some items and still sell them reasonably.  All their money goes to
Bibles for Missions and I think the staff are volunteers so it's a worthy cause.

Well, that's my latest thrifting experience.

I'm linking with Vintage Inspiration Friday
Debra is having a Give Away for her one year of
Vintage Inspiration Friday so come over to Common Ground
for your chance to win!

At Cindy's My Romantic Home.


Blessings,

Pamela

16 comments:

  1. This color is gorgeous, and I've never seen depression glass in this color, it's really wonderful and that little mirrored cabinet, so darn cute!! So glad you linked up and thanks for mentioning the Give Away! xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Pamela, these are sooo pretty! I love the colour! The little cabinet is cute too. Wonderful finds.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!!! Those are a real find my dear Pamela! Not to mention that they are so pretty! And for a good price. I adore that little mirrored cabinet, very sweet. I like your idea of painting it and distressing it. It will be very sweet done like that.
    I don't know if we have Bibles for Missions here, I know for sure I have been to a BFM in BC.
    Have a lovely day, my friend!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be looking for that possibility because you really found some nice things. The color of the depression glass is new to me. I've seen pink, green, and amber, but not the blue. Very nice indeed. Two dollars for that vintage medicine chest? What a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The depression glass set is so pretty and the perfect colour! We have Salvation Army and Goodwill around here but it seems a lot of the better stuff is 'picked' before it gets in the door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your finds. The depression glass is so pretty. Think outside the box with the medicine cabinet--it could find a home in a lot of different places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful find, Pamela! And it seems the dishes have the same color in them as the medicine cabinet! It will be fun to see what you do with the cabinet, and as you figure that out, enjoy a cup of tea in your pretty cup!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Turquoise glass, swoooooon. And for such a great price! Never saw that before, I will have to be on the lookout for some here.

    That cabinet makes me smile, my Grandma used to have one when I was very little. Decades ago, decades and decades.....

    I think that it now hangs in my Sister's house, I am going to go and have a look next time I am there.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pamela
    I've never heard of Bibles for Mission. It sounds like a worthy cause.
    I do like those blue dishes-really unusual.
    And your cabinet was a steal. Have fun figuring out were to put it.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you got your blue depression glass! Our BFM is small but I do like that their prices are fair and still thrifty, unlike many thrift stores now. I think the cabinet will look great painted over and sanded, even just painted with a wash.
    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful finds, Pamela. I love the depression glass!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great finds. I can't believe the set was there when you went back...it was obviously meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Greetings, Pamela!

    Thank you for visiting my blog and for the invitation to visit you at yours! Your blue dishes are absolutely beautiful! I have never seen before this colour in Depression glassware. I would love to have a set like that - makes you want to set the table! LOL You were very fortunate to find them. What a treasure! And your photography is lovely, too! I really enjoy your photos.

    Linda at Beautiful Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those dishes are so pretty! Are they aqua or more blue? That sounds like a great thrift store to shop!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds my friend. I'm always on the look out for blue mason jars. I love that medicine cabinet too. Wish we had a thrift shop around here with such great finds. Big Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky you! Beautiful finds. Blue always grabs my attention.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...