Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

the fascinating hoodoos of Alberta





Along the road from Drumheller to the hoodoo area.  The 'blue' grass is sagebrush.


I am going to continue our visit to the Badlands of Alberta with a visit to see the hoodoos.

What are hoodoos you ask?

Hoodoos are sandstone pillars that stand 5 to 7 metres (15 - 20 feet) tall.  They rest on a thick base of shale and are capped by a large stone.  They have taken millions of years to form and can erode completely away if their capstone is removed or destroyed.
This site is protected by fencing and no one is allowed to climb on any hoodoos to preserve what's left of them.
The name hoodoo comes from the word "voodoo" and was given to these formations by Europeans.  The Blackfoot and Cree traditions believe they are petrified giants who come alive at night and hurl rocks at intruders.

They are wonderfully fascinating to see.  
Have a look.  
{there are a lot of pictures but I hope you enjoy them}

There were a lot of people visiting the site and climbing the hills.

Yes, and dogs too!
Crazy.  You don't see me up there!  :)

And here they are....the hoodoos!

There is fencing all around these hoodoos and steel stairs up and around them so you can view them from all angles.

I love this terrain.  Can you see that there are more hoodoos in the centre of the photo?  Or perhaps the remnants of ones that have eroded away over the years.


Looking down on them.

Matthew climbed up on this rounded rock which was probably a hoodoo hundreds of years ago.

Grampie helping Ewan up the rocks.  Jennifer has Eli in a carrier on her front but her sandals weren't taking her any farther, nor were mine.


There's our 'no fear' grandson again.

A kind gentleman offered to take my picture.  You 
can see I didn't go very far up but there are people at the very top of that hill!

This picture on a plaque shows what the hoodoos looked like 
in the early 1900's.
Below is a picture that Jennifer took of the same view.
All the hoodoos are pretty well gone.



You can see the broken flat rocks or capstones on top of the mounds.

One last look.
It was amazing to see.  

We left and headed back to Calgary by a different route.
The fields and low hills and valleys, along with windmill farms made for beautiful views along this very straight highway.

Pardon the bugs and dirt on the windshield.  We stopped for gas but they didn't have a squeegee!




I think these ponds are from all the rain and flooding that this part of Alberta had in early July.  


I hope you enjoyed our visit to see the hoodoos.  If you missed the post on the Badlands and Horseshoe Canyon, please scroll down to my previous post from yesterday, Sept. 10/13. 

Thanks for stopping by again and for all your kind comments.

Remembering this date in history ~ September 11.

Blessings,

Pamela


25 comments:

  1. Very interesting . . . sculpture like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Must have been exhilarating to see in person Pamela -- I imagine in another 100 years, they will no longer exist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting structures of nature! I noted the modern windmill. When we drove to Chicago recently we saw fields of them in Indiana that stretched on for miles. Quite a sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pamela! Oh, these are just amazing. I've never seen anything like these before. You've captured them beautifully! Now there you are as cute as a button! Thanks for popping in to see me.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible sight. Nature really does produce some wonderful delights for us. The view along the highway is pretty impressive too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoodoos are fascinating, aren't they? Loved your photos of your visit there. Alberta sure has some straight roads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely amazing - there is so much to see right here on our own continent - this is a must visit place, for sure. I am fascinated by the weathering of rocks. It is too bad that people don't honor these sacred sites more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to see those in person! Like you, I probably qould have stayed much closer to the bottom. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, no idea these existed! Fascinating.
    I have got to drive west. On the list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never heard of the hoodoos, but I'm so glad that you showed them...once again, you took stunning photos!!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hoodoos were fascinating. They look like giant mushrooms that have popped out of the rock. Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indescribable...
    How cool that you were all there together...
    Never knew this existed in Canada...thanks for enlightening me!
    What a fabulous summer adventure you all had, Pam...
    Had a BIG storm blow thru around 5pm...lots of wind...rain...leaves blowing everywhere...
    Beautiful sunset now!

    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazing landscape, Barbara. I really had never seen these before. Loved the photo of you, also. Looks like it was a great adventure!

    G

    ReplyDelete
  14. Apparently I've never visited this area of Alberta, the hoodoos are new to me! I like the pic where you shot them from above - they appear almost as giant toadstools. That little Ewan is definitely a mountaineer in the making, LOL!!!
    You look like it was a really fun stop on your travels.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Never heard of hoodoos but they are amazing! How wonderful to see them in person.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing things! Your fearless grandson is so cute up there on his high perch and you are very cute on your low one! That stretch of road is pretty amazing as well. Wonder how many miles that one can see looking down that ribbon of highway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pamela, I have never seen anything like these voodoos. It is so interesting to me...especially when you tell the.. story and the origin of them. You certainly have the most informative blog!

    I love the stretch of road with the ponds of water on each side. We have one here with two different small lakes near here, Right now the names escape me.

    Your pictures are fabulous. I am trying to get some of my pics to look similar to yours. I have a very long way to go. But I am learning and I am learning about my wonderful camera, too. I took some very nice pictures when my sister and brother-in-law were here from South Carolina over Labor Day.

    Thanks for your lovely pictures.
    Your friend,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Magnificent! I've never heard of hoodoo's. I had no idea that's what they are called. The scenery is gorgeous! Your photos of the road are awesome! It looks like it goes on forever. Love the windmill and hay bales!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never heard of the hoodoos. They are amazing creations of nature. I would be like you though. I wouldn't climb very high.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really great Pamela. I enjoyed all of the pictures. They remind me of a place here in UT called Goblin Valley. If not giants, then I guess goblins. lol!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  21. Whoa..what an interest place and those hoodoos are fascinating to see!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is amazing!
    I can't believe how many times I've traveled through Alberta and never knew about the Hoodoos. I will look for them next time!
    Your little g'son is sure a brave one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I loved seeing them!!! I didn't know that you had hoodoos in Canada. We saw many of them in Utah this past spring, but the hoodoos there are reddish orange in color.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...