summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Monday, October 7, 2013

Kings Landing in autumn





Welcome to Kings Landing Historical Settlement in New Brunswick.  This recreated village was built in the 1960's and will be celebrating it's 40th anniversary next year.  The homes, barns, churches, even the outhouses, are all from different spots along the St. John River above the Mactaquac Dam.  There are a couple of houses from Fredericton as well.  All were saved from the wrecker's ball, the torch and from the flooding of the St. John River Valley due to the building of the Mactaquac Hydro Electric Dam which was opened in 1964.  

I have done several posts on Kings Landing which will come up at the end under my labels if you care to see them.

A fellow blogger and friend, Linda Hubbard, of the blog Stitch Lines joined me last Thursday and we spent about 6 hours walking around and talking with the 'villagers', taking photos, had lunch at the Kings Head Inn and enjoyed the beautiful sunny day in this village along the mighty St. John River.


The pamphlet we were given when we purchased our ticket invited us to "experience our village in 4 different ways ~ museum, story, hands on and trades".  This is something new this year and I think it worked quite well with the visiting public.  The above sign lists what was going on that day and the number of the venue.


Linda will be doing a post on our visit as well so we just might have some of the same pictures.  :)  That's okay isn't it?


If you can't walk far you can get a ride on the sloven wagon anywhere through the village.  The original 'hop-on hop-off bus'.


Above is a closer view of the Joslin Farm.  This house was featured in a movie that was filmed at Kings Landing last year.  The movie, Copperhead, took place during the American Civil War and was about a man who was against the war (hence the name 'copperhead' (or snake)) and how it affected him, his family and the community.  I went to see this movie last week and it was so great to see the houses from here portrayed in it as well as a few familiar faces of local people that acted in the background.  The movie is still playing in Fredericton until this Thursday if you would like to see it.


Two ladies were in the kitchen preparing squash for the Kings Head Inn which will be open for Thanksgiving dinners next weekend.


The crops have been harvested and some things are hung to dry for the winter's food.




Beautiful red sumac leaves against the blue sky.  


Here is my friend, Linda, chatting with a couple in the Jones House.


Diners at the Kings Head Inn were serenaded by this fiddler.


The back of the Perley House and barn.


The sun shining in the door lit up this container of gourds next to the fireplace.

Well, I guess that's enough pictures for today.  Did you know that I took over 250 photos?  And I can't show them all to you, can I.

I will do another post in a couple of days.  A lot of the photos I took were of windows and doors so I will leave them for special posts later on.  I just wish you could come here and experience Kings Landing for yourself.  It is definitely a step back into time in a beautiful setting and there are things for young and old alike to see and enjoy.  Kings Landing closes on Thanksgiving Monday, October 14.  If you are planning a visit to New Brunswick next year be sure to include it on your list of things to see and do.

Pop over to Linda's Stitch Lines blog to see her post today.
I hope you have a great day.

Blessings,

Pamela



29 comments:

  1. Beautiful Pam! Your photos are great. I was disappointed in some of mine. I will be doing another post with mainly just photos... and yes we do have a lot of similar ones. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been sitting right here waiting to pounce on this particular post. ☺

    Glorious, and more glorious. I knew that the settlement would be stunning wearing autumn's finery. What did you have to eat at the Inn? I can imagine that Thanksgiving Dinner there would be marvelous! Do they take reservations? Now I'm wondering what Linda was chatting about with the Joneses. Perhaps if I visit there I will find out...off to see if her post is up and ready.

    Thank you so much for sharing these fantastic photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for taking us along on a tour of Kings Landing Pam. It is fun to step back in time yet appreciate at the same time the advancements in technology we have today. I look forward to some rustic windows and doors.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of King's Landing and have seen a few photos before, but I think is the best presentation of all. This is a truly special place and you're lucky to live so close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely wonderful images and story. Those crops on the wall is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a lovely tour, Pamela - thank you. I've always wished to visit King's Landing. One of these days I'll get that trip to NB to visit my sister and I'll call you to go out there with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful post for autumn, Pamela. Thanks for the tour and I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post and photos ! Such a lovely place to walk and take photos and to talk to the folk there . Glad it was a good day trip for you . I would love to visit there . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many fabulous places to see...
    It's good we can see some of them through the lenses of our bloggy friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks like the perfect place to visit in fall! How nice that they saved all those buildings for King's Landing. Looking forward to seeing more.

    BTW...we visited Minter Gardens again yesterday....on a beautiful fall day. That was our last time before they close. Quite sad, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i hope you will show some more pics to share with us. what a great place. i wish to go ... i will write it down for another visit, when we are in your neck of the woods. glad you had a chance to meet up with a blog friend. so fun!! ( :
    enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love visiting these old time places and museums. Enjoyed your post, Pamela. : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful fall photos of Kings Landing,Pam! I love visiting places like that and look forward to more of your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the shot of the stool and the corn... Great pictures Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love places like this where one can find out about the past that has shaped our lives and our countries. What a gorgeous day you had for your visit. Love the garland of corn and plants hanging to dry.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I always enjoy your posts about this special place and would love to visit it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a lovely place to visit and enjoy an autumn day - the photos are enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These pics made me so excited as our Keepers of the Home group are visiting there on Saturday and enjoying
    their Thanksgiving festivities.. Your photos are glorious. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. You showed us a very interesting place via your photos (I especially liked the top one - great composition). I enjoy visiting places like this to see how previous generations lived. We took our granddaughters to a pioneer village near our place last year - they really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cool! I LOVE going to places like this because I have such an interest in how things used to be done. Must have been so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cool place, remind me of a place near here called the Pioneer Homestead... it's a great place to teach kids some history...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I always enjoy visiting living history places.I think it is a wonderful experience for the whole family!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful fall photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for the tour of Kings Landing, a must visit when we get over. Your pictures are again so lovely, sometimes just these are a joy to view in themselves. I especially like the one with the light hitting the guards beside the fireplace. My favourite is of the barley hanging and the corn on the floor. I think it is barley.

    The French Gardener was passing behind while I was reading your blog and he said, look at me playing the fiddle... not but they look alike.
    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is a truly beautiful place! The colors in your photos are wonderful! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What fun to see Linda in your photos! I wish I had been there, too! What fun! And this is a wonderful place to spend the day. Your photo of the church is spectacular! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I adore old villages like that! Gosh, where were the crowds? It looks like you had the place practically to yourselves! Your photos are terrific, BTW. And photos of doors and windows coming up soon? Wonderful! If we ever venture up that way again, I'd love to come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Pamela! I am sitting here, trying to contain myself from exploding with enthusiasm and joy, upon viewing your gorgeous images of Kings Landing and its breathtakingly beautiful surroundings, homes, gardens and talented, hard-working inhabitants!! I have always been aware of New Brunswick's pretty landscapes, but this place is simply enchanting and unbelievably quaint! You know, we have something similar in Ontario. Have you heard of Pioneer Village? But, I think, from your charming post, that Kings Landing is larger, on the whole.

    Thank you for sharing all the splendour!!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't want to miss another fabulous post, (even though I get terribly nostalgic and homesick for Canada!), so
      I'm now following!

      Poppy

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...