summer 2017

summer 2017
summer living

Monday, March 31, 2014

out like a lion





Murray snow blowing our driveway this morning (Monday, March 30).


OK.  Enough already!  March is definitely going out like a lion here.

Friday is snowed lightly all day.
Saturday it was sunny and +8C and a gorgeous spring-like day.

The driveway was melting down again.


On Saturday at about 7:30 in the evening it was almost dark and I saw an animal on the deck railing.  At first I thought it was a cat ~ a huge cat.  Then I saw it was a raccoon and he was trying to get at the bird feeder hanging on the shepherd's hook.  I scared him off then got my camera and took this pic of him going around the side of the garage.

Mr. Raccoon - looking very fat after hibernating all winter.

I think he lives in the barn nearby.  Last summer there were 5 of them.  I wonder how many survived the winter?  I guess I'll be bringing the bird feeders in every evening now.  :(

The noise.....
tick tick tick tick x millions..... and the wind.
That's the sound of ice pellets on our house the past 2 days.

Sunday morning we woke up to a fresh snowfall of about 11cm. (5 inches) and the east wind was blowing.  We went to church and when we got out at noon it was changing over to ice pellets.  That continued most of the past 36 hours to add another 10 cm. on top of the snow.  
This morning the back deck looked like this.  Think piles of salt.  That's just what this stuff looks and feels like.


I shovelled part of it off.  It took me a good 30 minutes because the snow/ice pellet mix was so heavy (I'm guessing 10 pounds per shovel full).  I had to take small scoops (x 50 or so) and throw it as far as I could.  The snow bank behind the deck is almost 6 feet deep now.

after I shovelled
  See Mr. Squirrel on the railing?

I guess we are fortunate as parts of the province are without power tonight due to freezing rain for the past day and a half.  
Oh and there's another 10 - 25 cm. of snow and ice pellets coming tonight and tomorrow in some parts of the province!  About 10 - 15 for us.

Tomorrow is April.  I expect April will probably be like March normally is and bring more snow, rain, wind and a nice day or two here and there to remind us that it is spring.   I've heard the word Sprinter being tossed around as a new season.  Spring/winter.  Get it?  :)

Before I post this I'll update the weather at 7:18 pm.  It's now snowing and the wind is blowing it around like a blizzard.  
I hope the weather is better where you are.  

Have a nice cozy evening.

Blessings,
Pamela



32 comments:

  1. oh, my! lion, indeed! hopefully april will get it together for you. :)

    we had a raccoon break-in at our barn last week - into the horse feed. varmints...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not any better here, Pam.. Moncton is really hit hard with the power outage but thank the Lord we still have ours. The wind is fierce and it just changes from freezing rain to snow.. I wonder how long since N. B. had a Winter like this..
    Keep warm... xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about the idea of the word sprinter, that might mean that you expect to get more winters like this. It is amazing with the climate change report that has come out today telling us all that the world is warming up and there will be less snow and ice and here you have had nothing but for months now! It makes it hard to understand how these things work doesn't it. Let's just hope that real actual spring does come at some point before summer arrives! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is Pamela...going out like lamb here in NC. Hoping spring will soon return to your part of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out like a lamb here on the west coast. Sending you sympathy. Enough already for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! You just can't win. The photos are beautiful, but I'm sure you'd much rather see green!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my - you got the lion - we got the lamb. It is gorgeous and sunny here - only 61 degrees - but beautiful. The neighbor is out mowing his lawn. Ours will need it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't want to upset you Pam, but winter is going out like a lamb here. In the mid 40s today and I actually sat out the front (facing west) this afternoon without a sweater to have my tea.
    You gals out east sure are having a sprinter - and will likely jump right into summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my , sorry to see and hear this don't want to upset ya here either but we had a beautiful spring day here today and it is to get better as the week goes on sunny and warm temps up to 10*C or 50*F and that was in the shade I was out all day and got a tan on my face lol ! I was out there with no coat cleaning up the yard a bit and taking spring photos ! I do hope you get spring there soon ! Lovely photos even if it is all snowy . Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG, OMG, OMG! There are no other words. None.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have a strong back by now. Oh my. That's am interesting word, sprinter. Fits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree! Enough already! We had +10C today and a bit of a melt, but I hear more snow is on the way. I haven't seen the resident racoon yet. All my feeders are emptied by the grackles by the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sprinter. No. I do not like the sound of that, unless we're talking about a race. On a creative note, I appreciated the way you described this storm...it made it all the more real. We mostly got torrential rain from this one and a flood in the basement and a broken sump pump that John worked to fix all day Sunday...success this morning and so things are looking up. I predict that that snow will be long gone in three weeks or less!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No, the weather is NOT any better where I am. Of course, I'm not too far from you. Its one miserable night out there right now..can you believe it? What will April bring?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Out like a lion...so true! Wishing you a wonderful, spring-like April.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad to be living in Oregon where I do not have to deal with snow more than 1 week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Morning Pamela, we have been very lucky snow-wise in the UK none this year but a LOT of rain which caused a lot of flooding and damage in some parts!! Is that a red squirrel, we only have boring grey ones here? Brownsea Island in Dorset are meant to have red ones, we never saw any when we went though!!
    We have some fog this morning but the sun is meant to burn it off and hopefully we will have a lovely sunny Spring April 1st. Love Jackie in Surrey.xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Pamela, your weather does sound very wintry!. Hope it changes for you soon. We finally had a sunny day here that was spring like and many buds are starting. It is late for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi there Pamela. you told me you didn't believe in those kind sayings. remember?? ( :
    around here it definitely looks like a lion leaving more than coming in??! i sure hope you will have better weather soon. that is so not cool or good. i am glad your birds are happy. you treat them so well. sending lots of warm thoughts your way. hugs too!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I keep hearing about the awful storms you in Atlantic Canada keep getting! I agree that you have gotten way more than your share of snow this year! Bring on spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, Pam! I hope things start to green up soon. Now that April is here, it seems winter weather needs to move along and make room for the next season.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pamela - Loved your photos today! We don't have any snow, but it was only 14 degrees this morning. No spring here yet.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sure no fun, is it?
    I think Srinter is a very appropriate word
    for this season! We only got 2cm, so I
    feel lucky compared to what you're dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. No "fooling around" in your April world . . . It is SPRINTER for sure!
    I think you win the prize for the most, longest, deepest, frustrating, beautiful ever!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Pamela, Just got back from spending 5 days with my sister and all of her family in Surfside Beach (Myrtle Beach), South Carolina. Actually the weather there was rainy and cloudy until we came home yesterday...then it was beautiful, sunny and warm. My daughter called on Sunday and warned us that we here near Rochester.....had received a foot of snow!!!!!! It was very disheartening to come home to snow last night!!!!! It must be over soon. I am not a big lover of raccoons. One year they came to my front porch and left their droppings every night! They stayed until I used Clorax and a broom to clean it all up!!!!

    Other than the snow...I hope your day is a very nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Last week you had "blizzicane" now today it's "sprinter" - funny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Pamela, I thought you would get some respite by now. No wonder that raccoon came to visit, he is probably as fed up of the weather as you are. I hope there is a thaw soon for you all xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh dear - all that snow! Here we have had 'all that rain' and it officially broke the all time record for March. Talk about 'abundance'! Wishing you warmer weather. Soon, very soon. Love the little racoon. I had one that visited me all the time and brought her babies on the deck. They are so cute! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awww I'm with you Pamela - enough already!! I couldn't sleep last night those ice pellets were so loud against the window. Sunshine tomorrow though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fingers crossed that Winter is finished with you, Pam♥️
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Pamela! Little racoons are so cute but I've heard they can be very destructive. No you just hang on...surely that snow is able to be over!! Stay warm, friend and you're always a sweetie,
    Shelia;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like how a raccoon eyes glow in the night when their photo is taken! This one does look well fed. I know you must be tired of snow ... we may also get snow in April ... but spring will surely arrive by May!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...