Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

pancakes and birds





Shrove Tuesday, or Pancake Tuesday, is the official start of Lent in the Christian calendar.  I always try to have pancakes on Shrove Tuesday and they are on the menu a few more times in the early spring too.  
As you can see, Murray was excited to dig in to the pancakes I made last night.  I made them from scratch and they were delicious.  I happened to have 'fresh' strawberries and blueberries, real, local maple syrup and canned spray foam whip cream on hand.  :)   I was so full afterwards and realized I had ingested a lot of sugar, but it was so good!
{I found the recipe for the pancakes on allrecipes.com}

Now, to the birds.

We have had a lot of mourning doves around the past few days.  The above photo was taken in early February during a light snowfall.  This pair was sitting on the deck railing with their backs to each other.  The one on the left finally moved over to the one on the right then flew off.

And then there was one.

I throw sunflower seed on the picnic table, deck floor and on the ground for them during this cold weather as there is so much snow on the ground and nothing for them to eat.  I've had about 8 around this week dining on the seeds.

This pair was sunning on Sunday afternoon.  
I've cropped all these photos as I can't zoom well with my camera.

There has been a female and male Downy Woodpecker around lately too.  This female was at this feeder but not succeeding.  I think the door shut on her foot.  Oops.  

Here is the male at the silo feeder on the clothesline.  They can clean out a feeder pretty fast and also they love the suet cakes.  The doves and other birds feed on the spills on the ground but I can't get good pictures as the deck railing blocks my view.  Can you see how deep the snow is on the composter?

There are lots of chickadees around but the goldfinches are scarce right now.  I think they may have found another food source while we were away as perhaps our son wasn't as faithful about filling the feeders as I am.  

There are also a few crows around and two in particular like to visit the yard.  That's the only birds I've seen, other than the odd bluejay.  I wonder when the blackbirds and robins will come back?  I think it will be a while as we have no open ground for them to graze on. 
I haven't even seen any deer this past week.  

Thanks for visiting and leaving your comments.  
I'm going to be sharing about Banff and the Banff Springs Hotel soon.  

It's another sunny and cold day here in the Maritimes, well in most of Canada I guess.   I'm going to go out and get the mail and take a walk around the yard.  I'm looking for spring.  

Have a great day!

Blessings,

Pamela

38 comments:

  1. I love the sound of Doves, I had a pair once but gave them away. Love your photo's

    ReplyDelete
  2. The birds are so beautiful. Gorgeous pictures, Pam. I totally forgot it was Pancake day until almost supper time, and by then I had something else planned...another day we will do pancakes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not going to find Spring in my yard, that's for sure! But it's on it's way. Love the photos of your mourning doves. I haven't seen too many this winter. All kinds of chickadees and gold finches though. My son told me the finches would stick around for the winter if I had a food supply for them and he was right! Our blue jays are still deep in the woods and we probably won't see them until it gets milder.
    I made pancakes yesterday too. Yours look delicious with strawberries and whipped cream. I just posted mine on my blog. Hope you're having a lovely day, Pamela.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved seeing the birds that visit you. Did you find any signs of Spring when you went to your mailbox. Pop over to visit me and see the first signs of spring I found around my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love mourning doves. And those pancakes remind me of Saturday mornings when I was growing up. My mom made either pancakes like that or caramel sticky rolls. Fun memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam, your pancakes look delicious!! In the Greek Orthodox calender, Lent begins on Clean Monday and if the weather permits, it is customary to fly a kite out in the open air, and have a seafood picnic lunch. It rained all day on Monday and I'm guessing that many children were disappointed.

    How lovely to have all those beautiful birds visit you and sing you such sweet little songs! Gorgeous pics! Thanks for sharing all the wonderful tidbits on them.

    Have a lovely week!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  7. did you say pancakes??? yum!! yum!! yummy!!! i love blueberries - but really any kind of pancakes are just perfect. love waffles too!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm yummy, we had waffles the other day, so good. And we have a Coopers Hawk in our yard, a first for us this close, that's kind of exciting for me, not so much for the birds. But the quail are dishing down outside the windows here, and they don't seem to mind.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have lots of goldfinches and warblers right now so maybe they are on vacay here in Florida! heehee! Love that sweet Downy and the pretty doves. I miss eating pancakes...these look so fluffy and yummy. Florida strawberries are in season right now and they are so sweet! Enjoy your afternoon my friend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you find evidence of spring on your yard walk? It's really popping around here, but I won't brag too much. You have very good bird watching in your yard. We use a feeder to draw the sparrows in close to the window. Miss S loves watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now you know pancakes are my favorite!!! Count me in, please!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  12. We get lots of doves as visitors here.
    Pancakes yum yum.
    Merle.........

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful bird photos Pamela . We have pretty much the same breeds as you mentioned plus Starlings . Papa saw on his way home from work in the fields Snow Buntings I am so wanting photos of them before they migrate . Pancakes look YUMMY ! It has been somewhat mild and very sunny here ! Thanks for sharing . Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll have a tall stack with blueberries and strawberries and lots of maple syrup and dabs of butter please.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful shots of the doves! We get several of them. Goldfinches have been very scarce here this winter. Normally, we have a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pancakes look delicious with the fresh fruit. I love all your bird photos. We have a lot of doves. So cute to see your pair sunning themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice to see what birds you have at your feeders. The Collared Doves have pretty much taken over everything around here - I can't have any tray feeders out, as they land on those too. I never see a Mourning Dove anymore. I have two caged feeders for the little birds.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So did you find spring? If so - tell it to spread clear over here to the Pacific Northwest, please. Great shots of the birds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pamela! I love pancakes and yours look so beautiful! We have little mourning doves around our house all of the time and I love to hear them coo!
    Be a sweetie
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Pamela! I love pancakes and yours look so beautiful! We have little mourning doves around our house all of the time and I love to hear them coo!
    Be a sweetie
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Pamela! I love pancakes and yours look so beautiful! We have little mourning doves around our house all of the time and I love to hear them coo!
    Be a sweetie
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Pamela! I love pancakes and yours look so beautiful! We have little mourning doves around our house all of the time and I love to hear them coo!
    Be a sweetie
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I think we have an extended family of mourning doves in our yard - rabbits too. I'm afraid when the snow melts my shrubs are not going to look very good after a winter of hungry pruners.
    Your pancakes look yummy, I'm not very good at flipping mine. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Could Murray look any happier? Hahaha!
    I feel bad for the mourning doves....too big to eat at the feeders...have to pick thru the shells on the ground....
    Good for you for throwing seed for them♥️
    I do that in the summer...but right now, they would be lost under all the darn snow!
    I have asked my daughter where she bought the live clean products.....will put in my comments....
    Enjoy your evening....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful,pictures Pam . . . I appreciate the cropped close ups. Love my bird friends . . .
    Pancakes looks yummy, I have never tried strawberries . . . just blueberries. I will give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love seeing the birds! It's a sure sign that Spring is on it's way.
    It's after 11:30PM and I am seriously thinking of making pancakes for a snack.
    Yours look so good and I'm all out of sweets!
    I hope you're feeling better tonight, Pamela.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  27. luving your bird photos!
    hoping you found spring ???

    ReplyDelete
  28. There were 16 Mourning Doves in my yard this morning! Lovely bird photos, and those pancakes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your photos are wonderful, Pamela, both of the birds and of the pancakes. I don't think I've ever seen a mourning dove. Hopefully the snow will soon disappear and the birds be able to find food in the wild.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ooh! Send me those pancakes! Even your birds get fed! We've had no snow but the south of England was under a lot of water

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yum. pancakes! I made from-scratch waffles and served them with strawberries and maple syrup. Not pancakes, but close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful morning doves! I love to hear them sing.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am always amazed at how creatures like the birds can survive during winters with a lot of snow. Spring is starting to make an appearance here in TN.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The doves around our place love to hang out on the roof near our chimney. It sounds like they're in the house. Those pancakes look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...