Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

the Algonquin Hotel and more of St. Andrews




The Algonquin Hotel/Resort had it's official grand re-opening this week but on Sunday we took time to walk around the main lobby areas to see the changes and major makeover that was done this past year.  It is very beautifully done.  We were impressed!

The hotel was closed for a whole year while the new owners, Marriott, totally renovated it and brought it up to modern standards while keeping the old classic hotel look.  The hotel was originally  opened in 1883.  When we stayed there in 1977 on our honeymoon and again in 2002 for our 25th wedding anniversary it was very hot summer weather and there was no air conditioning in the rooms.  That has been changed along with modern decor, new suites with balconies (seen above on the second level), and I'm sure many more modern amenities that one can't see.  I'm glad they kept the original tudor style and the red roof.  It's a gorgeous hotel and I hope we can stay there again one day.

Sorry about the photo quality as I took these indoor shots with my cell phone.

Above is the huge "hall".  I'm not sure what it is called but it runs along the first floor of the hotel from the lobby and has several seating areas.  It has always been there and 'back in the day' had gorgeous wicker furniture.  There is a double fireplace at the end wall and the lobby is through the doors on the left and right of the fireplace.  The double doors on the left lead to the gorgeous new dining room called Braxton's.  There are several double doorways on the right that lead to the closed-in and open verandas.



We had to check out the restroom too.  It was pretty snazzy compared to the old cramped and out-dated one.


~~~~~~~

After we had our little tour of The Algonquin we drove downtown to Water St. and took a walk out the wharf.  This is something we always enjoy doing.

A colourful storefront on Water St.


There are a few whale watching companies.  That's something we've never done....yet.  Have any of you ever gone whale watching?

As it was just 2 days after the full moon the tide was in full and very high.  I don't recall ever being there when it was that high before.





One of the whale watching boats going out.


A few of you asked if I found any beach glass.  We found a few pieces of glass and some crockery as well as shells and a lobster claw.  The whitish piece in the upper left is a mystery but looks a lot like a vertebrae from some large fish or animal.  Rather a strange find but I brought it home.  



This is a vintage linen balsam filled pillow that my mother had for a long time.  I'm not sure where she got it from but I keep it out all year around.  It smells so good.  :)


I'm going to end here for today.  I have more photos of a gardening nature to share.

I hope you enjoyed seeing more of beautiful St. Andrew's.  I'll be back.

We had pouring rain here all morning and the sun has started to peek out at mid-afternoon.  It looks like sun and cloud for the remainder of the week and temperatures around the 20C mark.  I'm thankful that we didn't get the terrible storms and tornadoes that struck southern Ontario and the US the past few days.   There was so much damage and precious lives lost.  I can't imagine what it would be like to go through that.  Be safe!



Blessings,
Pam

25 comments:

  1. Oh Pam glad I came back that hotel is gorgeous and I have a feeling I will never be staying there:) I have never been on a whale watching tour but have always wanted to. That is a beautiful little pillow of your Moms and I love all your finds, that is the part I would never tire of searching. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a child I stayed at the Algonquin when we were on a family vacation. I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks for the memory. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. The hotel is magnificent Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love the porch & those rocking chairs. they are calling my name. i always love the colors of the seaside. so comfortable & calming. lovely. what a fun time!! thanks, for sharing. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy cow! That place is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pam,
    I love the photos of St. Andrews and the "new" Algonquin Hotel. What a beautiful spot. We really enjoyed our visit there two summers ago and probably would have missed it without your excellent advice on what to see and do in New Brunswick. The photos make me want to go back soon!
    Hugs,
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  7. The hotel looks beautiful, it must be a lovely place to stay, and the town looks like a very nice place to visit as well. Love the embroidery on your cushion, very pretty indeed, I can see why you like it so much. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. The hotel is gorgeous but I love the shops along Water St.....I would love to take that walk and maybe shop some, too. And you found some sea glass...how neat! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh the Algonquin is looking so fine! I hope that you spend your next anniversary there. I really can't imagine staying in a hotel without AC and it will be so much more pleasant. Have you eaten there lately? My parents went with friends once and they spent a small fortune and nearly starved to death. = )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pam, we had pouring rain and record low all day yesterday. Now it's going to be back up in the 90's. Crazy! The hotel is beautiful. So very large! I love walking along any wharf. We have thought of going whale watching a couple times, but haven't done it yet. The Balsam pillow sounds wonderful!
    hugs,l
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanx for the visit to St. Andrews; enjoyed the pictures. And we did get some pretty violent storms yesterday. Luckily no serious injuries in the tornado. And we have been whale watching several times - B.C., Newfoundland, and iceland. Saw whales every time too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really enjoyed my visit to St. Andrews...and am thinking that one day I may see it 'up close and personal'. A lovely hotel too! And that pillow...a treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The hotel is very beautiful and it's wonderful that it's been modernized but still looks much the same on the outside. I could see myself visiting this pretty town and staying in the hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful old hotel, and so special to you. I enjoyed your tour very much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous hotel . . . I would love a stay there . . .
    I have never been on a whale watching cruise . . .
    I liked your "finds" . . . especially the sea glass . . .
    And the pillow, treasured I am sure . . .
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. St Andrew's is iconic, isn't it? When I was growing up I had two sets of friends who summered there, and then when we lived in Ottawa our neighbours packed up and headed there every summer. I thought it sounds like the very best place to spend the hot months! I loved the little tour of the hotel - I hope you get to stay there again, and share more interiors.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great finds! Love the beach glass!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The wharf reminds me of our Victoria by the Sea. Can you believe we have never been to St Andrews? We should have gone sometime during our marriage, you would think. Maybe some day. I love that photo in your header of the tracks through the field. Reminds me of my Grampy's fields in Riverview. *sigh* Such lovely memories! Have a wonderful weekend, Pamela.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh you lucky duck...staying there, near the sea...right on top of all that marine life!!!....:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, Pamela, Jim and I have been on a whale watch. It was one of the more memorable trips we have ever taken! I hope to do it again some day. I was a little scared at first but no reason to be. We saw many whales and some young ones. Such beautiful pictures. I enjoy St. Andrew by the Sea!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks a beautiful place and hotel. Wonder if it is named after st Andrews in Scotland?

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous place! I really enjoyed your travel photos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The Algonquin is absolutely beautiful. I think it is wonderful they could keep the same look after the reno.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Quaint little seaside town. It must be a treat to stay at that gorgeous hotel.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...