Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Kings Landing and Thanksgiving





The Hagerman House

As I mentioned the other day, Murray and I went to Kings Landing Historical Settlement on Friday afternoon.  We spent several hours there on a beautiful autumn day and enjoyed walking in the fresh air with a brisk breeze, visiting the homes, the staff and taking lots of pictures.

We have had our  Thanksgiving weekend which concluded with our turkey dinner Monday.  Our son and his wife joined us and we had a delicious meal.  I was stuffed!  Really, you'd think I'd learn after all these years, but it was so good!   We had a Skype visit with our Calgary family too and enjoyed the antics of our grandsons and seeing how the newest baby is growing.  


I hope you enjoy the photos.  Some of them have been edited a bit for colour as it was a washed out kind of day and the colours were more brilliant than my photos showed.

An outhouse.

Kings Landing just finished it's 40th Anniversary season.  I was there last week to see the exhibit of the anniversary in the Visitor Reception Building.  The above photo was part of the exhibit and explains how Kings Landing came into being.   You can find more information here and here.  And of course, I've done many blogposts about it which you will find on the link in my labels at the bottom of this post.

This is the Joslin Farm.

This barn is really long.  All of the buildings were moved from their original sites along the St. John River before it was flooded.  It was quite a feat to move them, some by road and some across the ice in winter.  

two of the many work horses

Mucking out the horse stalls in the Joslin farm barn.



This was a display in the ell of the Joslin Farm.  I love how the old farms had additions attached to the end or back of the house for storage and often, indoor 'facilities' rather than outhouses.  I remember my aunt and uncle's farmhouse had an ell with the 'facility' before they had an indoor plumbed bathroom installed.  It was nice to have it indoors out of the weather but I'm sure it was cold in the winter!

Another barn on the Joslin farm had pumpkins next to an old wagon.  There were sheep and cows here as well.

Well hello cow.


As many times as I've been to Kings Landing I try to find different things to photograph.  It seems I never run out of different things to see, different angles, different light which all add up to different photos.  Good thing I only go there once or twice a year!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Murray picking apples on Sunday afternoon. (iPhone)

The drive to church on Sunday morning. (iPhone)

That was our weekend.  Busy and fun and filled with blessings.  I hope you had a beautiful weekend and Thanksgiving in Canada.  Have a great day!

Blessings,
Pamela




35 comments:

  1. All your beautiful photos look like something out of a good movie. Just beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos of a lovely place! There just isn't anything like the fall time of year is there? It sounds as though you had a wonderful Thanksgiving too....mmmm....turkey and dressing...my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. glad you had a great thanksgiving weekend! love the beautiful fall and farm scenes you shared, too. :) sweet cow face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous! Kings Landing looks so incredibly beautiful wearing autumn. We are in peak week here and the light is incredible. I've been outdoors so much in the past few days and am going right back out now. It's too beautiful to sit inside. Wonderful photography, as always, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful...King's Landing in the autumn. It sounds like everyone had a busy weekend...and we all ate too much! And today feels like Monday...not Tuesday. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful weekend! It's starting to look very golden there. Enjoy your week sweet friend. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  7. October seems to be the best time to visit King's landing void of the hustle and bustle... How nice to simply relax with the colours and smells of Autumn..Your pictures are wonderful..There is just so much to see...Thank You for sharing your journey...Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great day out! Lovely autumn views!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos ! I love farms like that and I also love mucking out stalls and spending time with the animals . I am glad you had a nice thanksgiving as we did here to . We got in the gardens and did some more cleanup as the weather wasn't to bad . It is warm here today 26C and raining ! Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic photos of the rich colours of autumn. Your thanksgiving dinner sounds a belly busting affair, but all good dinners are worth it :-) Enjoy the rest of the week xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful images of Kings Landing. Reminds me of Cades Cove in the Smokies. Sounds like you had a great Thanksgiving feast. Holidays are so wonderful. If for no other reason, you get to eat, and then you also get to visit with friends and family. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, Pam! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving weekend.
    Thanks for you email last week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm adding King's Landing to my bucket list, Pamela.
    When *(notice how I didn't say if) we make our trip out East
    I want to visit here too!
    Take care-Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pamela, I so enjoy your posts on King's Landing, as every time you visit we are granted beautiful new photos of this most interesting place. Autumn is looking lovely in your parts; such a striking display of colour!

    Have a wonderful day!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful photos, Pamela. I do love the golden light and the road winding down in your last photo. King's Landing sounds like such a great place to learn about the past. History is an interest of mine and I enjoy finding out how people lived in days gone by.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh what a beautiful place, to be able to visit!

    Did I wish you Happy Thanksgiving? If not, I do so now, belatedly.

    Tessa~
    "Here there be musing" blog
    "Here there be more words" blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing those lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a beautiful place, Pamela. Looks like you had a perfect Thanksgiving weekend. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad that you had a lovely Thanksgiving! The weather and your photos are glorious. I especially love the picture of the barn and the pumpkins hugging the shadows near a barn window.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a place I've missed visiting. I should remedy that the next time I'm out east.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful Autumn shots captured, Pam....
    Love the cow....or is it a bull? Hahaha!
    Glad you spent time with your family...even if Skype!
    Enjoy your week....rain coming!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Glad you had a good Thanksgiving; we did too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy belated Thanksgiving, Pamela! What lovely photos - I just love beautiful old farms. Apple picking is so fun on a cool autumn day and your drive to church is beautiful. Love the golden colors. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  24. We had a picnic lunch at Kings Landing on iur way back home last month, but that's as far as we went!! I'm sure it has changed a lot since I was there in the early 80's.

    Lovely pics!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wonderful tour of Kings Landing. I wish there were more historical places close to my house.

    Thanks for sharing Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful Fall Photos!! Kings Landing is very nice, but those work horses!! magnificent creatures!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Sounds like you had a beautiful Thanksgiving! I've enjoyed seeing all your lovely fall photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Beautiful photos! Looks like such an interesting place. I especially loved the cow photo. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. These are all very nice photos of your rural scenes. Makes me want to go have a look for myself! A perfect way to spend a fall afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a gorgeous drive to church. Must get you all set for worshipping the Creator. I like how bloggers share places of interest they travel to--really expands our horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  31. And a belated Happy Thanks giving. Sounds like a super time! Would love to visit your area. Just beautiful! Thanks for visiting...the photo does look like flowing blood...that's why I wanted to share it...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Such a lovely place, I like the groups of pumpkins! It looks as though it was a beautiful day for your drive to church, such a lovely photograph. xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wonderful post Pam, lucky you and Murray were able to make a trip to such a historic place, it reminds me of Upper Canada Village in a way. I do have to get here. Seems to me you guys were there around this time last year as well. Apple picking time, did you make apple sauce yet?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Such beautiful photos, composition, color . . .
    I liked the Outhouse pic . . .

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks like such a fun place to visit!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...