Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Thursday, February 19, 2015

this and that





Sunset on the frozen river.


We had another unplanned power outage on Tuesday afternoon, the second one since Saturday night. We very rarely get power outages here so it was a bit annoying to have two so close together.   Murray and I had planned on going to a pancake supper for Shrove Tuesday at a nearby church.  There were actually suppers going on at two churches but both were cancelled due to the outage so we headed up the highway to a truckstop restaurant for supper.  We drove along the river as the sun was setting and although the photos were taken through a very dirty and salt sprayed window I though it was kind of pretty.  When we were finished our meal we learned our power was restored.   I kept checking Facebook on my phone plus most of the customers at the restaurant were there because their power was also out and the news it was back on spread amongst us.   Good timing.  ;)



My trusty tool for cleaning snow off the deck.

This afternoon was gorgeous.  Well, as gorgeous as a mid-winter day in February can be.  It was sunny (second day in a row) with no wind and it warmed up to about -4C.  My kind of winter day!  I decided to do a bit of shovelling on the back deck.  The pergola hasn't been cleaned off for a month and has about 2 and a half feet of snow on it.  Heavy wind-packed snow.  I thought I'd just make a path through the middle of the pergola and that was enough for one day.

Phew.  That was hard work!  I took about a foot off the top in some spots as well and even off the chairs.  

I did some shovelling out front too.  So much snow.  Then I came inside and took a few photos.

My 'work station' in the sun.  ;)



An angel sits on a vintage book of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales.  My battery operated candles have come in handy lately.  Now if we just had a nice wood stove to keep us warm.  



We have more snow coming tomorrow....about 10 -15cm.   And, weather permitting, there is a scheduled power outage between 1 and 5:00 in the afternoon.  Now, why couldn't they pick today to do this.  A perfectly mild sunny winter day.   And since it will be snowing I won't be driving anywhere warm to put in the time.....like the mall or a friend's house in town.   I guess I'll just bundle up and read.


I hope you have a great day.  Thanks for visiting.

Blessings,
Pam









31 comments:

  1. It sounds like it's going to be a cold day for you. We've been fortunate and the power hasn't gone off once this winter (we don't have scheduled outages). Our patio is deep with snow too, and from the back step I now have to step up to the snow. I've been thinking of clearing some off before it starts to thaw and is too heavy to move. But it's hard work, and I honestly don't really want to do it! I hope you stay warm today! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Pam! That's a lot of snow! I remember power outages when we lived in the country, and we didn't have a wood stove either :(

    Hang in there and bundle up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely sky shots and pretty images.. I love the beautiful angel..I hope you stay warm and safe there, I am ready for spring! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, be careful with that snow shoveling, my dear...dangerous work! I can't believe how much snow you have stacked up, and more to come. Don't you wonder when it could possibly ever melt. I love the battery camera, even the ones that are the little votives. Loved your pictures today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely images, both those of the sunset and those of the afternoon full of bright sunlight!
    In our countryside, at least in some unlucky areas, the power outages are so common that many families, us included, have bought small, hand-portable engine-generators.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only imagine what it will be like when we get home Pam, the deck will likely be buried and I have to get to my feeders. I have a small shovel for our deck too which Glenn feels is useless but it's just the right size for me although not a cool red one like yours! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures Pam!
    Try and stay warm and watch that shovelling you could hurt yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A scheduled power outage? This must have something to do with the big contraption that they brought up the ridge awhile ago. I think hanging out at the truck stop is a great idea. We were supposed to get up to 8 inches in this overnight snow. Again, we lucked out (blessed out?) with only two. We sure needed the break. You are doing your shoveling the right way...slow and steady. Take care now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Power outages are NEVER fun and I would hate having two in such quick succession! I love your photos. I think a beautiful winter day is just about the best there is! They are hard to beat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do this and that a LOT. Makes some of the best shots, huh? Yep. Enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess knowing the outage is schedule means that at least you know it will be back on and when, but that cannot be a fun thing to have to go through! Such a shame that you missed the pancakes at the church, at least you found a hot meal instead though. As I always say, stay safe and warm! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh but this arctic blast of air is horrible down here and to think you are accustomed to it is scary. You did a fine job shoveling. Love your work station. Stay warm Pamela. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. All that snow , As it's the way of life for you, it seems like you just get on with it. and I'm restless waiting for Spring. I always feel this way in February, and when we get a few warmer sunny days, I'm out in the garden to see what's happening, with the shrubs and what the birds are up to, as I hear them singing their courting songs. Lovely sky photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Pam....
    Love your indoor shots....so soothing and pleasing to the eye....
    We are in the mid 40's today....very windy....not sure what we'll do today...
    Bundle up for the power off...and....get Murray to install a wood stove! ASAP!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the one thing I like about having a wood stove is when the power goes out for what ever reason we can keep warm by the fire and it also provides nice light to and I can also still cook if I need to as I have a gas stove to ! It is a cold one here today but sunny . Lovely photos looks cozy there , I have a few of the battery candles to they are great aren't they ? Thanks for sharing , stay cozy and warm and have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pretty photos. It's nice when they can warn of a power outage, and then you are ready. We are so thankful we did not lost our power in the recent ice storm. It was more of a wintry mix so not as much ice on the trees as predicted. Always thankful when it's better not worse than predicted!

    ReplyDelete
  17. glad you put the power outage to good use. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great photo's,Pam, and beautiful sunset! Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your photos...especially when I see those lovely spring tulips!!!!! Oh....for spring! I want it to come here tomorrow. I am very tired of the cold here in western NY. We have a large amount of snow but I really do not like the cold! Have a great few days coming up

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful sunset and a nice excuse to eat out, but too bad about the pancake supper. Shoveling that much snow must have warmed you up, but it looks very difficult. Lovely sunshine coming inside the house - looks so pretty and cozy in there! Hope your electricity doesn't go out for very long. We are just above freezing here with cold, sleety rain coming down. Very gray. Winter seems to last forever, doesn't it? Stay cozy. xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. And here I am complaining about our 14 inches of snow. Guess I am now as hardy as I used to be. Love your suset photos, Pam. xo Laura

    ReplyDelete
  22. You've got more snow on the ground than we do. Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous sky shots! It looks much warmer inside!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What beautiful sunset views! And how exotic your world is to me. I would just burrow in like an old badger. But I loved your marshmallow pictures! Keep keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful sunset views! And how exotic your world is to me. I would just burrow in like an old badger. But I loved your marshmallow pictures! Keep keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful Mactaquac sunsets! The little white angel looks like she's contemplating this long winter... wonder if she is fed up like the rest of us...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hope that your snow stops pretty soon, at this rate it's going to snow until April. We seem to have had our biggest amounts in January...thank goodness. Or maybe I am just hopeful? Can you believe they have snowdrops on the coast...not nice of them to tell me.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Pam, it looks like you have a lot of snow and more on the way. Hope you can keep warm during the power outage. We are having exceptionally mild weather here. ... yes we have snowdrops and daffodils and I know, it isn't very nice to tell you so. : )

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, that's a lot of snow! Hope you got through the last power outage OK! We've got more snow and ice here, but doing fine with power and heat.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...