Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Monday, March 23, 2015

a visit to Sugar Bush Weekend at Kings Landing Historical Settlement







On Saturday afternoon we went to the Sugar Bush weekend at Kings Landing Historical Settlement just west of Fredericton, NB.  It was a nice day weather wise, and we enjoyed a really lovely walk through the village on the wet and muddy road trying to avoid the ice and horse poo as we stepped along.  There were hundreds of people out for the event yesterday which included a breakfast sponsored by the York Sunbury Search and Rescue and also events at the Kings Head Inn including maple candy on the snow.  We didn't attend the breakfast as we had been to one at our church in the morning and really weren't hungry.  

You can see that the road was really messy so boots were needed.  It was just above the freezing mark yesterday with a weak sun and snow flurries too.  I think I was overly dressed as by the time we walked for an hour I was extremely warm.  {aka sweaty}

This is the iconic photo for Kings Landing ~ the old saw mill.  It and the dam that holds the water from the creek back are undergoing a major million dollar rebuild and repair.  The dam was damaged by flooding about 3 years ago and was unsafe so this part of the village has been closed to the public since then.  You can see the orange machinery to the right of the mill behind the trees.  It will be nice to have this part opened again as the saw mill and the grist mill (behind the trees to the left) are a big draw for people who visit.




Sap cans on a maple tree.

Here we are behind The Kings Head where they were boiling maple sap in these black iron kettles over wood fires.  

Maple candy rolled on a stick on the snow.   Mmm

Looking across the field toward the church and the Perley house.  There is lots of snow!







There were two wagons transporting people through the village if they wished.  In this photo one team is being changed out for another.  They needed a rest after their hard work.

On their way to the barn for a snack and rest.  :)


Can you see what this is?  Water flowing down the road at Kings Landing made its way through the hard icy snow.  It was a mild day on Saturday but by Sunday it had turned cold again.  
This morning it is -14C with a wind chill of -25C.   The sun is trying to shine but that wind....

I hope you had a great weekend and that you have a blessed week ahead.  I'll be back with more photos from Kings Landing soon.

Blessings,
Pam






33 comments:

  1. Glad you were able to get out in some fresh air in spite of the snow and mud, Pamela. I cannot believe your area has experienced so many snowstorms this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking us along on your journey through the mud and snow. I love these historical places and the reenactments. I've not seen the sap process before. I'll bet you were glad to get back inside to get warmed up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Pam! Oh, what brave souls to walk through all of the cold snow and slush! :) Looks like a fun day though. Hope you have a great week.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how lovely but collllld!!! I enjoyed this journey through the settlement.
    Our annual sugar fest is not far off either. You can board a bus or wagon ride out to the maple farms and see the operations and taste the delicious syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lovely buildings and old mill! that maple candy made my teeth ache from here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place in the snow. I regret not having had visited this place the two times I've been out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, so glad to hear you made it to KL for SBW. I didn't make it this year... weekend was busy! Not sure how great a season it's going to be for maple syrup. It had better warm up soon...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic photos Pamela ! I am glad you were able to make it looks like all had a good day there ! Thanks for sharing , Have a wonderful day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. So interesting and fun to see with all the snow...the mud looks like spring. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great day out!!! The picture on my calendar for March is of maple sugaring, and the scene looks just like the picture you showed, with the big pots boiling over the fire and everything! So wonderful that you got to go and see/do it for real!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A place I would love to visit, so picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful place! I love the third photo! I'm sure you're sick of it, but the snow really adds to the buildings and landscape in these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these views of King's Landing in the snow. You've shown summer versions before. It looks like a great place to visit at various times of the year. Sugaring season is one thing I'd like to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice pictures, but it looks cold! And love that little church!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It would be such fun to go to King's Landing in the winter. Great photos!
    And what's better than maple syrup :) Very interesting way the cauldrons are hung over the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a gorgeous old place to visit. Despite the mushy snow, which I can't believe how much there is of that!

    The patina on the old wood, the horses, the people dressed in costumes...gorgeous. Sounds like a completely fun kind of day.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Pam, these are gorgeous photos of Kings Landing... feels like I went along with you. I used to work there as a Weaver Spinner... 20 years ago now. seems like yesterday. I actually see one of the houses I "lived" at and ate dinners cooked on the hearth. Loved that experience.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun day and a great place to visit. Boots...they are a must for sure! Hope you have a good week and the temps come back down again soon! Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Pam. Thank you for sharing these photos with us. It looks like a fun and unique place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This winter has GOT to end Pamela. Most years we have a beautiful spring day when we are at the sugar shack but not this year. The syrup is good though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. We go to the sugar bush every year. The sap in our area is slow to start running. Great photos Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  22. beautiful pictures. wow you all still have alot of snow. spring surely will arrive sometime.

    I sure would love to visit a place like this. love the old time buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great place...looks like a fun outing! I love those beautiful old buildings...so very picturesque!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful pictures. I love the old black buckets. The sap is not running here yet in Quebec. Maybe in another week, still too cold. We had lunch at a Sugar Shack last week and I posted it on my blog. I hope Spring weather comes soon, we had enough snow..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow Pam you take such amazing photos - that one with the black kettles? I absolutely love it - such a Canadian shot ! Reminds me of Upper Canada Village actually
    Is that an abandoned Church?
    You should be taking pics for Tourism really !
    Ok time to go - I LOVE your photos - but I'm really hating snow right about now LMHO !!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I saw that you wondered if the church is abandoned! Actually kingslanding is a historic village so all the buildings are looked after, also all the buildings have been moved to these spots since a dam was built near by and all the buildings would have been flooded if they hadn't been moved.

      Delete
  26. This is all new to me...the harvesting of the maple syrup. Such beautiful pic's...and such a lot of snow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks lovely and like a marvelous place to go to and spend some time there. I like the maple sap cans, so interesting to see them in action. The maple candy looks quite delicious! Very interesting and lovely images. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Looks like an enjoyable event . . .
    Wowsie . . . you certainly have SNOW!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, I absolutely adore your photography especially the Kings Landing collections. I really hope you'll come photograph the sugar bush this year because I'm a young volunteer at 16 years old and I'll be at the Landing in costume this year!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...