Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Monday, May 11, 2015

this and that from the weekend





Where did the weekend go?   I was so busy on the weekend that I didn't even get a post up for Mother's Day.  I hope all the mothers out there had a wonderful day and were duly celebrated.
We had a fabulous meal at our son and his wife's, along with her parents and grandmother.  Jenn made a seafood chowder that was SO delicious.  I suggested she needs to try out for the next Masterchef Canada.  She really is a great cook!  We had a wonderful visit and the weather was mostly sunny and even humid for the first time this season.  Our daughter, Jennifer, Face Timed me when I got home and we chatted for quite a while.  I was able to show her the backyard and deck as I was sitting outside.  Don't you just love technology?!


Talk about presentation!  Yummy.



We bought some spruce trees to plant along the backyard as a wind and snow break.  They will take a long time to grow and do any good before we see it but we need something after all the drifting we had this past winter.  I also bought a lilac bush which hasn't been planted yet.  I have an idea for the back lawn.  I think we need to build a raised bed garden with a stone wall around it.  We have a lot of lawn back there and it would be nice to have a focal point to look at.  It could also act as a wind break.  So, my plan is to plant the lilac and that cute green spruce on the left in the photo and transplant a couple of perennial shrubs in this new raised bed.  I wonder when this will be accomplished.  It had better be soon I think.  


 Tree Swallows having a close encounter. 

The Tree Swallows won the 'house lottery' on the weekend.  There were half a dozen or more of them flying around the past week looking for the house to be put up.  Of course, they've also been eating bugs while doing their acrobatics which is great!  On Saturday a pair finally decided to set up house keeping in the house and have started nest building.  A chickadee was checking out the house on Friday too but it lost out.  I haven't seen a Bluebird at all so Swallows it is.  I bought another birdhouse that Murray has to install yet so maybe we'll get another nesting pair in it.



I've had the hummingbird feeders out for 10 days and finally I saw one come this afternoon after I had changed the water in them.  I'm not sure how many are here but this one keeps coming back.  I believe it's a female.


This cute Goldfinch and his friend landed on the deck railing at suppertime.  

We are getting much needed rain tonight and tomorrow but the long Victoria Day holiday weekend is looking quite nice and warm.   I feel terrible for those of you in the US that have to deal with tornados and warnings.  It must be very stressful for you and I pray you will all be safe.

Have a great week my friends.  I will be back soon.

Blessings,
Pamela

33 comments:

  1. love your sweet birdy friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos , Sounds and looks like you are all ready to plant stuff . This long weekend is my traditional planting weekend and I cant wait , I am aiming for lots of flowering perennials so that I have less to buy annually each year now and am setting up a hummer and butterfly garden as well I cant wait ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day. Oh my that does look delicious. It looks like the birds are coming at you from all directions. How fantastic. Have a wonderful week. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. The seasons change so quickly don't they? I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how quickly your spruce trees grow. My parents planted them up there very long driveway for the same reason of keeping the drifting snow down. In what seemed like only a few short years they were quite large and doing their job perfectly. Your raised garden sounds great! It's nice to have a plan for the gardens. I can never make up my mind about the gardens. Your birds are so cute ... I've been thinking of getting a hummingbird feeder too.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  5. That chowder looks and sounds like a winner . . .
    What a wonderful weekend, family, yummy food, garden plans, Hummers and swallows . . . and a few chickadees too. I like your plans for your yard . . . Isn't the cresting fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a delightful weekend!
    Nice looking chowder....
    Birds in previous post are fabulous...I have a few at the cottage like yours....
    Get planting! Hahaha!
    Enjoy your week...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i think the swallows won out at our box too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure if my comment went through, short version, delicious food, lovely to see the birds back, hope the trees do well! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't FaceTime wonderful, I love being able to see the kids out west that way. It sure makes you feel you aren't so far apart. We had our first hummers a few days ago too. Hope the nesting works out for the swallows.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have quite a lot planting to do. So do we, but it has been too cold. No tornados or warnings here, thankfully--yet. But we had rain all last week, making the countryside beautiful and green. Face Time is a gift isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm catching up on your bird photos. You're seeing a lot now that the weather is nice. We had a rain shower last night and it was much needed. Hope the storms aren't bad this week. Sweet hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  13. The goldfinch is so pretty, isn't he? The swallows keep trying to make their own nest against our brick wall in the entrance to our house, so it's pretty annoying. I do have a house they could use in the back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your birdies are so cute. I was hoping to have the swallows last year as they were checking out the bird house on top of the clothesline pole. But they didn't like the fact that the line was being used so they went elsewhere. The chowder looks amazing! I made seafood chowder last week but it didn't look nearly as classy as your DIL's. The scallops make it look like it should featured on a cooking program. Glad you had a nice Mother's day celebration. Pretty cool today, isn't it?

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your pics Pamela!
    Cold and windy looking like rain.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's a great idea to plant a wind break! I haven't seen a hummingbird yet! How nice one has found your feeder!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It sounds like you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Pamela! The seafood chowder does look so delish! The hummers are doing what they did last year...they started coming out a few weeks back and now we haven't seen one for a week or more. I need to take down the feeder and replace the food too. Your backyard projects looks like you have plenty to keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Your daughter-in-law has a wonderful way around a kitchen! Course if you folks don't know how to make a seafood chowder, who does?!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi from Alberta! Just wondering what you put in your hummingbird feeder?? I just got mine out the garden shed and hung it up,,,,but need to put something in it now! Thanks for your reply :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's one delicious looking bowl of chowder! Yum! Sweet bird photos. Love that bright goldfinch. Good luck with your gardening/landscaping plans. It's fun to plan and plant and watch things grow, albeit ever so slowly sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great pics of the birds! IT sounds like you had a lovely mum's day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pam, that chowder does look so yummy! I bought a new lilac this year also. It's a sensation lilac, purple edged with white. I have not put my feeders out yet. Need to do that! We have a Robin that built a nest on top of a wreath I had hanging on the old door in the corner of our porch. She has laid 4 eggs and It has been so fun to watch her. Can't wait till we hear the chirping of baby birds!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  23. That seafood dish looks amazing! Glad you could all celebrate together. It's so much fun to watch the birds being so busy right now. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Pamela!

    YES! I agree, that seafood chowder made my mouth water too! Looks like it was amazing.
    I am anxious to see how your new raised bed turns out. A big undertaking but such a nice addition to any yard I think, The birds are out and about in full force here too. NIce to see nature come alive in all her glory in the spring.
    It feels good to put another cold winter behind us, right? :)

    Thank you for weighing in on the paint colors. I really appreciate it! It has been so hard to figure out what paint colors are most popular for resale. I thought a quick poll of readers might help me in my quest!

    Hope you have a lovely week.
    xoxox
    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful to see your bird life! I would love a resident nest in the yard! Spring is looking lovely for you. And that chowder looks delicious! And I don't even like seafood! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh Pamela, that seafood chowder looks so delicious! I have always wanted to make a good chowder, but so far I haven't found a really good recipe. Do you think Jenn might share her recipe? I love seafood!!!
    How lovely that you have swallows in your bird house - that is so cute! I remember the swallows from my childhood, they used to build their nests right under the roof of the building that was housing our flat. I loved to wathc the young ones peeking out and waiting for their parents with the food. Probably different kind of swallows than yours. Lovely memories though.
    Show us some pictures when the raised bed is finished - I like your idea very much. As a passionate gardener I'm not a huge fan of lawns - but then it's way too dry here to have lawns (even though many people do).

    ReplyDelete
  27. The first photo made my hungry (looks really delicious!) and the second one made me happy. It's lovely to see pretty, young plants coming from a nursery, ready to be planted to embellish the garden and to create something new.
    Lovely bird photos too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. aww, i love all the birdies shots. it has been bird crazy around here and well. i wonder what is going on? they wake ya up in the morning. no need for alarms ... too funny!! i have been working on our flowers. got some for the window boxes. took my plants out ... hoping we stay in great temps. the pollen is really wild lately. i have been sneezing like a silly lady. i guess it is just part of the spring time though. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sounds like you were well-celebrated on Mother's Day! That chowder looks just fabulous! You have beautiful birds enjoying your yard...thanks for sharing. What a great shot of the tree swallows!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lovely little birds, but I kinda got stuck on that seafood chowder. Sounds fabulous!! Glad you had a wonderful Mother's Day, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pam, you are so right about the presentation! Beautiful. I'm so glad you had a good Mother's Day and now you will soon have another little family to watch over. What fun..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...