Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

the river road






A couple weeks ago before we got some rather fall-like weather we went to Beulah Camp in Browns Flat on a very hot Sunday.  I took photos of our drive home along what we call 'the river road' from Browns Flat to Gagetown.  It is beautiful rural farmland with farms, old churches, farm fields and the St. John River off to the right.  Enjoy the drive.

First of all we'll start at Beulah Camp, which I've posted about here before, with it's beautiful 100 year old cottages and the old 'hotel' below.


Kayaks and canoes resting on the beach.

On up the river we come to Evandale where there is a government run car ferry that takes people across the river.  The Eveleigh Hotel has a beautiful boat marina built to welcome river traffic from Fredericton to Saint John.  It was a busy spot that Sunday.

Perhaps you could bring your speed boat.  :-)

This hotel has been in operation for over 100 years as at that time there were several river boats that travelled the St. John River between Saint John and Fredericton.  It's still a hotel with additions to the right, a dining room and an outdoor pool.

It was a really hazy and hot day so I've edited some of the photos to give them more colour.






This little Anglican church is in Queenstown and it is 110 years old.  The rose bush caught my eye as we were driving so I got Murray to stop so I could take pictures.



This is another very old Anglican church in the historic village of Gagetown.

I hope you enjoyed this drive along the St. John River.  It is called "the Rhine of North America" for obvious reasons.

I was able to sit out on our deck to write up this post.  A first for me!  It's absolutely gorgeous out this evening after a hot sunny summer day.  It's still 26C as the sun is setting in the west.  I think I'll get my 'chauffeur' to take me down to the river near us to get some sunset pictures.  It's one of those perfectly calm evenings to do so.  

This weekend is the New Brunswick Day holiday for our province on Monday and it's also a statutory holiday for most of the country. We are off to Ontario for a wedding - a 16-18 hour drive from here.  We also hope to visit Niagara Falls on Sunday before we head home.  I hope you all have a safe and blessed weekend.  You know I'll have some photos to share with you next week. 

Thanks for your visits during this busy summer season.  I sure do appreciate them!

Blessings,
Pamela


28 comments:

  1. have fun on your trip. lovely churches and beautiful porches with bloom baskets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful photos, Pam. Thanks for taking us along. What a grand hotel. Love the porches on them both. Lovely churches too. I wish we had Anglican churches around here. Have a good and safe trip. 18 hours is a long trip. Or daughter lives 20 hours away and I like to divide the trip into two days. We live in such big countries, don't we!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful drive. Thanks for taking us along! Those are pretty churches. They don't seem to construct such styles nowadays, which is a shame, I think. Hope you are enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that you enjoyed your trip to see the sunset and that you will also enjoy the wedding and your weekend away too! It all sounds like lots of fun. The camp is beautiful isn't it, a lovely place to spend your time! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your photos Pamela ... what a beautiful spot. I am still longing to take our trip to Canada so I can see for myself the beautiful countryside. I love the old architecture of the churches and old buildings so hoping by next year in the fall that we'll be able to take our trip. Sounds like a wonderful weekend for you coming up. Enjoy!!! This is moving in day today for us so I'm pretty excited. We've got the car all packed up and ready to roll this morning and all the big stuff will be moved in when we close on the house hopefully in the next couple of weeks. Love and Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Pam. Loved the scenery (so much space!), the hotel and the churches. Enjoy your trip, stay safe - and I look forward to the photos. This weekend is a working one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesn't seem possible that I read you speak of fall weather already! Seems like summer just arrived there! What a gracious lovely old hotel; would love to stay there. And the churches are lovely too. Beautiful windows, etc. You guys have to much beautiful scenery where you live!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the photos! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a safe trip coming down our way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have a wonderful time away! Sounds like a fun journey. I had a dear NB friend who would often tell me about her family's time spent at the Beulah camps. She also could belt out a great Beulah land. See you September, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You photos are so lovely, it always looks so peaceful where you are!, enjoy your wedding and love forward to more photos soonxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. What wonderful photos of these lovely places...so very picturesque! It certainly would be nice to sit outside and blog but it has been terribly hot and humid here recently. I am hoping to be able to do that in the fall...on my new front porch that is being built. I'm so excited :) Have a wonderful remainder to your week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Pamela for letting me join you on this trip beautiful scenery, such open space dotted with so many lovely
    churches which are so different to France. Enjoy your next trip, a long way to drive for just a weekend, I don't envy you, our 18 hour drive to Denmark we used to do in two days and I was tired without doing any of the driving. Stay safe & have a great time..

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed the drive with you Pam and adore the little country churches that are found tucked here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful views! The hotel particularly appeals to me.

    Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It all looks so lovely! The Eveleigh Hotel is just beautiful! I sure would welcome a little fall weather down here. Are you all boiling up there, too, these days?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pam, enjoyed the tour. Love the little cottages and the Everleigh Hotel is really beautiful. My kind of architecture, as are the other churches..I know you will have some beautiful photos after your wedding trip..Happy Thursday.Judy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've got to get out to your part of Canada sometime! Lovely sights!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that old river road drive. Always scenic. I love the views along our wonderful river. I've had lunch a few times at The Eveleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful photos! Gorgeous landscapes! I love the photo of the canoes and kayaks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. gorgeous scenery on your drive, the camp and beach look like the perfect spot to spend a summer day

    ReplyDelete
  22. First, before I forget, have a safe and relaxing trip, despite the length...wow that is some trip!

    Your shots are gorgeous...is summer leaving you already? It sure has those wisps of fall turning into the shots.


    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for taking us along on your 'river road' drive. Beautiful! Enjoy your road trip...Niagara Falls...and all the other adventures along the way. And the wedding, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love your pictures of 'home' Pamela! Hubby and I were over for a few days visiting family but our trip was a quick one so we didn't get to drive around to familiar haunts like I would enjoy doing. I enjoyed seeing the canoes and kayaks beached on the shore; very colourful. The churches too were charming as well as that spectacular hotel. Enjoy your trip and the wedding. It's lovely weather we're having at last.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  25. looks like a charming area. i love the church. gorgeous!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  26. Too Pretty. The views, houses, and church. Great photo shots

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...