Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Monday, March 7, 2016

a little road trip to the next county





Farm fields and rolling hills near Florenceville-Bristol.

Another new week is here already.  I hope you all had a great weekend.  Did you do anything exciting?  Murray and went went on a date on Saturday afternoon.  We visited some big box stores then had pizza for supper at 'the Hut'.  Not a very exciting date eh, but we enjoy being together and having a look around and eating supper out.  And, I did buy a new pair of Schecher sneakers for spring.  They are so comfortable!

Last Thursday I went on a little road trip to Carleton County with my friend Lois.  We picked up another friend and drove to Florenceville-Bristol to visit yet another friend....well actually two, as one came for lunch.  We all met when we went to Bible school in 1971-73 and have remained friends all these years.  We had a great time catching up and sharing stories of God's goodness and grandkids and tried to solve the world's problems.   Don't you all love a 'time' like that?




As we were driving along the St. John River in Florenceville a Bald Eagle flew from the top of a large pine tree circled and flew over the car.  I had my camera on my lap and quickly took a photo of it.  This photo is cropped as the eagle was in the upper left quadrant of the photo.  What a beautiful sight!  This is the closest photo I've ever taken of one.




The above photo is the McCain potato processing plant and headquarters of McCain Foods.  Potatoes are the main crop in the Carleton County area and they are processed here for French fries.  McCain Foods is a Canadian privately owned multi-national company that was established in Florenceville, NB in 1957.  It is the worlds largest producer of French fries and other frozen foods.  YOU have probably eaten their fries at some time.  :)

As we were crossing the 'new' bridge over the St. John River I tried to take a photo of the 'old' bridge through the fence rails.  Can you see the wood covered part of the bridge?

McCain Foods headquarters.

Along the river the ice is pretty well gone.  There were some ice floes due to the colder nights we've been having but not the thick ice that causes ice jams during the spring run off.

Country roads with ice and snow from the last storm.  The farther north you go in New Brunswick, the more snow there is on the ground.  The far northern areas have lots of snow.

The red osier dogwood was still ice covered.  It was a beautiful sunny day but with the gusting wind it was very cold with a windchill of -18C.

We had homemade corn chowder (with bacon in it), homemade rolls, and homemade apple turnovers for dessert.  
We had a great visit and need to do it again some day.  


*************

On Sunday afternoon we visited our son and his wife for a lovely meal of homemade seafood chowder, and homemade biscuits and apple pie.  Yum!  It was an enjoyable time.  And I'm going to have to go on a diet if I keep this up!!

Miss Molly Jean was getting some spoiling.  Isn't she sweet?

Deer in the field this morning - just a few of the 25 I counted.  One of them was under the maple tree but I shooed him away as he had his eye on some lilac buds for breakfast!!


 Guess what!?  I found Downton Abbey on Netflix!  I was so excited when I discovered last night that it is available on PBS and has been all this season.... unbeknownst to me.  Guess what I'll be doing the next week or so?  :)

Thanks so much for visiting and leaving your comments.  
Have a wonderful week!  

Blessings,
Pam






36 comments:

  1. Molly is an adorable sweetie kitty!

    I suggest you delete the Steve Finnell spammer comment. The pompous self righteous jerk jas been doing that for years desperately trying to get people to his page, and he refuses to publish any comment remotely critical of him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. All those shots look very Canadian. (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous country! I'm envious of your eagle photo! Love the deer again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the eagle photo. I really enjoyed reading your blog and seeing your pictures. I followed your blog also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to see your neck of the woods, Pamela...and Miss Molly Jean as well! We saw a number of eagles yesterday driving home from Seattle and the ferry. Love them!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pamela! I loved seeing all your photos...the bald eagle shot is awesome! I'd love to capture one soaring like that. And the kitty is so cute. You know how I like my kitties. :) We love Pizza Hut pizza, too, and I love Schechers. They are so comfortable! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I almost forgot...I wanted to say how much I like your spring header! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks and sounds like you both had a wonderful time and good visits ! Papa and I love being together and going out and about to . Wonderful photos . Thanks for sharing , have a good day !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoy your Downton Abbey marathon! Sounds wonderful for March days.

    Your time with friends and with family sounds lovely and delicious, too. Beautiful, cheerful spring header and what a great capture of the eagle!

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I saw the name 'Florenceville' I thought 'I know something about that'...and then I realised that it was because of McCain's. It sounds like you had a good day out - and that date with your hubby - well, that is our sort of date!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos of the countryside. That Molly Jean is so cute and fluffy. Sounds like you had a nice time with your friends. I don't get out as much as I should in the winter. I'm so glad that spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos of the countryside. That Molly Jean is so cute and fluffy. Sounds like you had a nice time with your friends. I don't get out as much as I should in the winter. I'm so glad that spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What lovely times you've been having - great photos and good info. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had no idea that McCain's was a Canadian company. Fun to know! Thanks for taking us along on your outing with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for taking us along on your drive, Pam. Always love seeing the scenery where you live. Beautiful shot of the eagle and those ice covered twigs. Interesting about the McCain's plant. My Mr. works for a local potato chip company. It's so nice that you have remained friends all these years and still get together. We need you to solve the world's problems! The corn chowder looks sooooo good! What a cute name for a cat - Molly Jean. Love that. xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such handsome views and happy, heart-warming moments. :)
    Have a lovely new week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the St. John River... Your photos are lovely and the food looks very good, too.. Love the cat.. Wish I had one.. smile.. Looks like we are going to be blessed with an early Spring, my friend.. xoox

    ReplyDelete
  18. That sounded like a fun 'date' with your dearest Pamela. We love to do things such as that too - enjoyable day out and then grateful to arrive back home.
    Glad you found DA on Netflix - you're going to love it - I'm so sad it's now over and will watch it all again perhaps in a couple of years!

    The bald eagle pic is terrific. The very adorable Miss Molly Jean can come stay with me any time - I think she's so beautiful! Love your Spring banner - and of course hope you will have Spring weather soon. Tell those deer to go eat elsewhere!
    We are due to have temps. near 80F this week - wow!

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! Love that shot of the eagle...still waiting to see one myself. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes I like your new header. That photo of Miss Molly Jean is a stunner. And of course she's pretty anyway. Nice that you could have an outing with girlfriends--and your sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely weekend! So good to spend time pottering. I didn't know that Mccain were Canadian, but I do eat their products! Glad that you have found Downton, hope you enjoy it! Delicious chowder! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. You take such lovely photo's, I enjoyed going along with you.
    Your kitty is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Really enjoyed this post, Pam; you shared some really nice photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sounds like you've had some very delightful outings lately with family and friends. The soups and homemade dishes sound wonderful, and of course your photos are always a treat to view. Loved this post, Pam!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous photos, can you really do take some lovely lovely photos and the one of the bald eagle is definitely a keeper. I love the one of the cat being spoiled. Hope you have a really good week and that spring will soon or is almost there in New Brunswick.
    Xo
    Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  27. A lovely post, Pamela. I adore road trips and comfortable dates.
    Amalai
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Regarding your question- the Canal is closed now, and the ice is starting to look rather weak in the odd place.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Pam, you always take such wonderful road trips and have so much fun and always something good to eat. I'm glad you found Downton Abbey on Netflix. I'm sure you will love it and as I mentioned in my post where I thought I missed the last episode, I found it repeated on Monday night (which I didn't think they did before) so I got to see it after all..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Such gorgeous photos...and corn chowder is a favorite of mine..and biscuits...umm..

    ReplyDelete
  31. Pamela, You are definitely making me think about food! Your landscape still looks wintry and chilly. I love your eagle shot.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a lovely road trip to take! I know Florenceville and Bristol all too well as my grandparents have their homestead just a bit north of where you were :) I don't know if I've told you that I'm Canadian or not. Many of my extended family have worked for McCain Foods. It was nice to see all these pictures and especially the lovely picture of the bald eagle! You did awesome snapping that picture from the car window, wow! Hope you are enjoying warmer spring days :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, she is sweet (your Molly)! Sounds like you had a fun little road-trip...with good food! My sister lives in the potato belt of Manitoba...where McCain's owns their local processing plant.

    Nice shot of the eagle in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  34. How wonderful to spend time with friends Pam! Really quite the adventure. I had lunch with two of my friends on Thursday and we visited a nursery after. What fun we had! Love the photos and I have a weakness for French fries. Kitty is cute too!
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  35. LINDAS FOTOS..UN AMOR EL GATO!!!
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...