Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Thursday, April 28, 2016

the pond on a cool April's eve





The pond at sunset in black and white.


Last evening I decided I'd take a walk to the neighbour's pond to see what was going on.  It has been quite cool in the single digits  (Celsius) this week and very windy although the sun has been shining.  I bundled up in my old ski jacket, a toque, gloves and my rubber boots and brought my camera along.

The pond at sunset in colour.  Not much difference!

I was hoping to see some ducks or even hear spring peepers but all was quiet.

Reflections in the pond.


It had been sunny all day but some clouds came in at sunset and they were kind of interesting.


These cirrus clouds were interesting and if you look closely at the top of the photo above you will see an upside down rainbow.  What is that you say?


Well, my friend Googled it for me and this what it is:  
It is a Circumzenithal Arc or Bravais' Arc.  
It appears when wispy cirrus clouds, which are formed by ice crystals, are at a particular angle in relation to the sun.  You will find one almost straight up from the sun so you have to look waaay up.  They are sometimes called a smile in the sky because they are upside down and above the sun, unlike sundogs which 'bracket' the sun.  :)





I will be sure to take a walk over to the pond again really soon when things are a bit greener.


**************

A couple more photos from this week.

The moon and a crow at sunrise on Monday morning.

A male Downy Woodpecker on the left and a female Hairy Woodpecker were dining together the other day.

This week I've been painting some small outdoor tables that I use on the deck.  I'll show them when they are completed and the deck is 'decorated'....once the weather warms up.  I also bought a new tete-a-tete seat which will need to be stained.  Here is the one I bought last year.


The new one will have Adirondack style backs to the seats.  It is a lot of work staining both sides of the slats!

That's it for today.  I hope you are enjoying this week and some nice spring weather.  It doesn't look like the temperatures will warm up here until the second week of May.  

Have a wonderful weekend.

Blessings,
Pam

23 comments:

  1. What a lovely walk to go on with you and so interesting too! I hope that the weather is good enough soon for you to enjoy sitting out on the deck. It is still cold here, snow this week, and raining heavily as I write this. Spring will come?!!!! Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed my visit here, the pond photos are so lovely. What a great place to walk to. Fun to see both woodpeckers together! Hope it is getting warmer there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful sky shots, Pamela!

    Still on the cool side here, though it's been generally sunny all day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What wonderful photos of your walk. I once saw an arc above the sun in the middle of winter a few years ago. I haven't seen one since, but it surely made me smile. We are heading west now - stopped for the night in a hotel. Its supposed to snow for several days in Breckenridge, so we left town to try to find a warmer spot for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful sky photos. I've never seen (or heard of) an upside-down rainbow. How great that you captured one. Thanks for sharing your walk with us. I hope the weather warms up for you soon. Looking forward to seeing your newly decorated deck (when the temperature climbs a little).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, that's a really neat rainbow. I've never seen one like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Many wonderful, dramatic photos. I am really admiring the woodpeckers because I have had no luck capturing the one hammering around here. The peepers were loud and wonderful last week, but no peeping this week at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen one like that either. We've seen small parts of a rainbow but not one that appears upside down! Wow! What great photos of the woodpeckers too! Enjoy your day. Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful skies and scenes, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great capture of the rainbow Pam, and thanks for the info on what it is called. It has been cool here, but still getting out and doing some jobs outside. Today I've been hearing the pileated woodpecker up the back hill but he wasn't visible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spring always brings plenty of projects, doesn't it?
    I've never seen an upside down rainbow, how interesting.
    I can't believe how much I have from other bloggers!
    Have a good weekend-Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow!! Those are some terrific sky shots, Pam! I haven't ever seen a rainbow upside down. That is amazing. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Some absolutely wonderful photo's here - just love the way the light and reflection works.

    Enjoy the remainder of Friday and have a lovely weekend

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the idea of a smile in the sky!
    Your photos are great, as always, but I especially enjoyed the woodpeckers dining together.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pam, that must have been a magical morning walk. So beautiful..Happy Weekend to you..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful photos of a beautiful landscape Pamela. Still so cold for you, I know you must be craving warm weather by now.
    Look forward to seeing more of the pond - with shades of green and perhaps some blooming flowers later.
    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fascinating about the upside down rainbow. Your photos are lovely--the first black and white is striking…
    I was shocked to see the date April on your post because right now here it is feeling more like July. Crazy weather!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos Pamela . . .
    Loved the rainbow . . . upside down . . .

    ReplyDelete
  19. Absolutely stunning shots! I have seena sun dog several times but never have I seen this other inverted rainbow thingy! Beautiful skies...happy May Day :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What great shots, Pamela! I had to smile at your upside down rainbow. That is just the thing that a family friend would get off on. He's in Atmospheric Sciences. He's all about the weather and anything I need to know, I just ask him. :-) I'm with you, hoping May will bring us much warmer weather. My son in BC is enjoying temps in the high twenties although they are having fires too. So, I guess we shouldn't complain too much. In any case, the grass is starting to turn green and the tulips are trying to come up. I'm disappointed the spring peepers behind our home aren't singing yet but all the songbirds are back. Thanks for popping by and Happy May, my friend!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are beautiful photos Pamela :) I'm glad you shared your walk over to the pond, it's nice to see what's "going on" when spring comes. My mom used to always visit a little wood across the road from us in springtime. She would always comment that she "went to King's wood" to see the new wild flowers that came up around a tiny pond there.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your photos in this post were all amazing. The black and white still of the pond is lovely. And the "upside-down rainbow".. so amazing that you got to see that and photograph it! Such a lovely walk to the pond, well worth the bundling up effort to enjoy such a beautiful show! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...