Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

an autumn visit to Kings Landing Historical Settlement - episode 2






Hi there.  Welcome back to our tour of Kings Landing Historical Settlement.  If you missed the first 'episode' please scroll down to 'older post' at the bottom of this one so you won't miss out on all I shared there.  



Our next stop was to visit Mrs. Heustis at her home.  She is a dyer and spinner of wool.  We found the engaging Mrs. Heustis in her kitchen carding and spinning wool to make into something lovely and warm for the winter ahead.

A few snaps from Mrs. Heustis's kitchen - including natural elements for Thanksgiving decorations, a peak into her pantry, dyed wool, and spun wool ready for knitting.

This is the view from her window looking out at the barn and river behind it.

Clean up crew in the barnyard.  It's a dirty job but someone has to do it.  :)



Stopping for a chat.

Then moving on his way.





This old gristmill grinding stone was laying near the grist mill.  It looks like it had gotten overgrown with trees and brush and was recently discovered again.

Inside the grist mill an interpreter explains how the mill works.

The Jones House in behind the trees is the only stone house in the settlement and was taken down from its original site and each stone marked and the house rebuilt.  It's my favourite house here.

This little pony was so friendly.  They offered horseback rides here this summer.


Well we are nearing the end of our walk through Kings Landing and the wagon is heading over to The Kings Head to pick up the last load of passengers at day's end.

Near the entrance is a small play area with these 'horses' for children to ride on and simple toys and pumpkins in the sand box.  

I hope you enjoyed our visit to Kings Landing.  If you're ever in New Brunswick on holiday you should add this to your list of things to see and do.  It will take 2 - 3 hours to really enjoy the tour especially if you visit every house or building.  You can catch the wagon and ride to the end and walk back or vice versa.  Wear comfortable footwear and clothing for the weather (a hat is a good idea on a hot day).  Don't forget your camera!  Kings Landing is located just off the Trans Canada Highway at Prince William about 20 minutes west of Fredericton NB.  There is a tourist information building just off the highway near the entrance which is built like a barn.  I have done many posts in all seasons if you'd like to see more.  Just click on the label at the bottom.  If your hungry, The Kings Head offers fine meals and beverages.  There is an Emporium (store) in the welcome building selling local products, crafts and snacks.  FYI - the site is now closed for the season.  

Visit their Facebook page at Kings Landing Historical Settlement or kingslanding.nb.ca for more information.

Thanks for visiting.  I enjoy your comments so please leave one.  

Pam




21 comments:

  1. beautiful. I could probably spend all day here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the red wagon and the one with the folks chatting by the barn. I love them all but those are totally cool. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, what a beautiful place, Pam! I scrolled down to see all the photos and they are all so wonderful and evocative of a simpler time. I love the beautiful buildings, the fencing and all the amazing views of the autumn colors. This so reminds me of my childhood in Massachusetts and tugs at my heartstrings. I lived on a mill pond and had a little pony that looked just like the one you pictured. Oh, those wonderful memories.....Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos. Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, what a beautiful place. I had to pin the picture with the clothes hanging on the line. All of your photos are just beautiful, a keepsake album for sure. I even scrolled back to see part 1 that I had missed. What a wonderful and peaceful place to be..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful place. You captured it well, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi there, Pam. hope you are well. i love your rich fall colors in these pics. but also enjoy the black & white as well. i love this time of the year so so much. we are having warm temps today. i was working outdoors with leaves and had to come it was so warm, i had perspired through my clothing, which is nuts for this time of the year. and they weather folks say the cold temps are coming this weekend, we will see??! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely enjoy this place.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's such beautiful color in these photos! Between the leaves and the gold house and the yarn and the open door of the barn. You always have a good eye for your photographs. Love the photo of the laundry on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, your photos are gorgeous. I would love to visit there. XO Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like these places, a trip back in time and people to talk to who tell you how things were done.
    Merle.......

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful day! You are so blessed to be close to this beautiful living history settlement. You folks must have season passes. Some summers, my family buys a summer pass because they know that they'll be going often. My own children were not terribly impressed as kiddos, but my grands absolutely love a day spent there and always look forward to it and talk about it long after. Thank you for all the amazing photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful village. love the pony - and the clean-up crew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy your posts on Kings Landing. It looks like such an interesting place to visit and your post is very informative. It would be fascinating to watch Mrs. Heustis work at her spinning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The snapshots of the lovely Mrs. Huestis inside her home were beautiful, you captured the joy of simple living right there, and the view out her window, my my. I can't believe that they moved the stone house stone by stone, what a tedious job! Amazing! I don't remember that detail. Someday I hope to visit there again with my family. You did an amazing job with all your pictures taking us back to a simpler place in time. Hugs to you today Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such hard workers. The images tell a lovely story and I saw the yarn and thought, oh yes, I have carded wool as well and turn it into wooliness and wool yarn to knit pretty's with. Lovely post~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such hard workers. The images tell a lovely story and I saw the yarn and thought, oh yes, I have carded wool as well and turn it into wooliness and wool yarn to knit pretty's with. Lovely post~

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful place! I love those fences!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pam, some of these photos look like they belong in a movie! What wonderful subjects and her kitchen and pantry are spotless!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  19. Always a beautiful place to visit at different times of the year, great photos Pam.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...