Autumn 2017

Autumn 2017
cosy fall colours

Friday, November 4, 2016

yardbirds



Hi there.  Can you believe we're into November now?  There isn't much to post about as I haven't been out taking any photos the past week due to the dreary weather.  I have some bird photos to share that I took back in the sunny warm days of early October.  


We had lots of Eastern Bluebirds here as they were migrating to the warmer south.  I love these little ones and to see a group of them in the yard for days was so delightful.

Aren't they cute lined up on the clothesline?

They love to perch on fenceposts or sticks or garden finials.  

They also like to take a bath.



I found out the reason why they were around the birdhouses so much.  Apparently, according to a well-known NB birding expert, when the nights are cold a group of them will go into the house to keep warm. He suggested I watch the house at dawn to see if they come out.  I don't think they stayed in our houses but they were around early in the mornings.  I sure hope they return in the spring and find our birdhouses to be acceptable accommodations for raising a family.



Another backyard visitor of late is the White-breasted Nuthatch.  I hear their distinctive raspy squeaking sound before I see them as they are usually on the trees pecking for bugs.  They are also coming to the feeders and eating black-oiled sunflower seed.  The other birds usually scatter when this fella arrives.


We have lots of Chickadees around the yard all year around.  They are the official bird of New Brunswick and are such friendly little ones.  They will eat out of your hand and I'd like to get a photo of that someday.  


Last Saturday I hung out 3 bird feeders on the clothesline, since I'm done hanging out clothes until probably June!!  Haha.    It didn't take the birds long to find the new feeders and we are getting lots of them every day.  


There are Chickadees, American Goldfinches, Downy Woodpeckers, Bluejays and Pine Siskin coming.  In the above photo is a pair of Purple Finches on top of the ball feeder.


~~~~~~~~~~

 We haven't had many sunny days here so I captured this sunrise the other morning hoping for a sunny day.  It didn't happen.  I think tomorrow might be sunny but colder at 5C.  That's what happens this time of the year - sunshine comes with the colder weather.  At least it isn't snow!

The drive to church last Sunday (this was at 8:30) morning was pretty with the sun peeking through the clouds although it didn't last.  There are still lots of rusts left in the trees that hold their leaves longer but otherwise it's bare branches reaching for the sky.

~~~~~~~~~~

The house renovations are coming along quickly now.  The inside of the entry has the gyproc on and has been mudded and sanded once.  The siding and window trim are being finished on the front of the house as I type.  There is still the 'stone' and shingle siding that has to be put on the front of the new entry and lighting (which Murray will do) and a new deck to do, and the heated floor and tiles inside!!  So much left to do!  I am loving the beautiful large space in this new entry foyer!  And I may be a tad bit excited to decorate it.  With Christmas coming I'll decorate for that too!  First though, it has to be primed and painted!  I'll do a post when it's all done.


  Murray has been traveling for work every week the past month but will be home next week.  Yay!!  I need some structure and decent eating habits.  Do you eat poorly when you're alone?  I could just eat chips, chocolate and ice cream every day.  Ha!!

I hope you all have a lovely weekend.  Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.  I always love to hear from you.

Don't forget the time changes back an hour on Sunday for most of us.  At least the mornings will be a bit brighter earlier and we gain an hour of sleep.  :)

Blessings,
Pam 




36 comments:

  1. Hi Pam,
    I love the blue birds but we don't have them over here. My son, the bird expert, tells me the bigger birds drove them out years ago which is too bad! We get lots of the others though although the finches have been scarce lately. I miss the sun too! Some days they have predicted a sunny day but it didn't happen. Supposed to be sunny for the weekend and I hope it is. Everyone feels so much better with sunny weather. November is my hubby's least favourite month because it's so dreary. I agree with him although I'm thinking about Christmas so that helps. Soon the decorating will begin. Thank you for sharing your lovely pictures and have a wonderful weekend, my friend.

    Hugs,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, you have such a good variety of birds in your yard. I have never seen a bluebird here. You must be hogging them all up on the ridge! Haha
    You must be anxious to have your new addition all done, won't be long now. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Yardbirds. That was a band, right?

    Enjoyed your shots

    ReplyDelete
  4. The birds are a delight to see. No doubt those bird feeders get some serious use over the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. IT is unusual to hear "our renovations are moving along quickly"--so often it's the opposite. I'm glad you will enjoy the changes for the holidays. Your bird photos are lovely--like the bluebird studying his reflection in the bath, and the two hanging out on the blue house! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you posted some of my favs in the bird category. I love Bluebirds and Nuthatches and Chickadees. Thanks for posting those. Do not eat all that junk food when you are alone. OK, I know you don't, but I know it's tempting. Share pics of the new renov when you are done. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omg! I'm so excited for you. Can't wait for the reveal.
    Have a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have bluebirds here, but I have never once seen one. Love the photos you got of all your blue visitors (and a wee bit jealous!). Nuthatches are such cuties too. Did you know they will also come to your hand if your patient enough? Also downy woodpeckers! I didn't know chickadees are your provincial bird. Ours is the loon, which makes me very happy. Sounds like the big messy part of the reno is coming along well. Looking forward to seeing the results. Enjoy your weekend!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful to have Bluebirds stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They sound wonderful, but no one's pictures are showing for me tonight. I will definitely be back to see them. The work on the house sounds as if you're on the home stretch. Will be very interested to see that, too. Behave yourself now. Actually, I can't imagine you not taking good care of yourself. I, on the other hand, am having troubles with eating properly. Working on it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I finished my comment and up popped all the photos. Yay! I adore bluebirds and we see them so rarely anymore. Wonderful photo of them on the line. I didn't know that chickadees are the provincial bird. They are the state bird here.

      Delete
  11. The bluebird is my favorite bird and our state bird. You got some amazing shots of them! The chickadees are so cute, too. We have some bluebirds that stay here year round. Not sure why, I always worry about them in the winter.
    Can't wait to see your renovations! Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What beautiful bluebirds in your garden Pamela - lucky you. We haven't seen any for a while but hopefully they'll return soon.
    I miss those chips, chocolate and ice cream suppers, OR just cheese and crackers, enjoyed when Bob was still working and away on business trips, haha.
    Glad your reno is going well - looking forward to seeing all you have accomplished when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You do have some tiny pretty birds who visit you.
    We have a tiny blue wren and his two brown ladies but mainly our birds are much bigger.
    Merle.............

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful bluebirds. We don't get any here:>(
    I'm excited to see your home changes, Pamela. I can't wait to see it when you get it decorated! I would probably live on sandwiches if Tim wasn't around. I don't like to cook just for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a treat to see the bluebirds! They are so sweet! You have a lot of pretty little birds. I've been putting out suet and sunflower seeds for the birds and it has attracted raccoons and skunks, so I keep it well away from the house :) I have to tie the suet feeder shut with twine to keep the raccoons from opening it and eating the whole cake! I wish I could afford to feed all the critters, but have to draw the line......My Mr. travels a lot, too. I try to make up extras when I cook and freeze it for when he is gone. Or I eat soup and sandwiches. It's so nice not to cook! Can't wait to see your reno work. It sounds wonderful, especially the heated floor! Sending hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lot of pretty birds you have! I hope the bluebirds do settle in your birdhouse come spring - it would be lovely to see a family of them.
    My husband has been away for most of this week and I'm eating worse and worse every day. Cooking for myself is just not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful photos and post . Lucky you having the blue birds come down to the houses and to drink ours are very elusive , I hear then about all the time but they seem to keep their distance here . Glad the the reno is going well . Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the bluebirds! You're fortunate to have them around the yard. You've got a nice variety coming to the feeders!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Many Bluebirds . . . a treat to see indeed . . .
    Plus all the other birds!
    Inspiring for me . . .
    I think I need some new feeders . . .
    Maybe that is it . . .
    The squirrels and chippies have over taken the feeders
    and I think the birds finally said, "enough is enough" and
    have flown off elsewhere!
    I think Bluebirds like the edges of open fields . . .
    and I think they like your colorful houses too!
    Wonderful post Pam . . .
    (yes indeed, meals alone seem more like "munch and sweet!")

    ReplyDelete
  20. such sweet birds. our bluebirds have been very active lately, too. checking out houses for next season, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  21. What beautiful birds! They certainly have a wonderful place to rest at night :D Have a wonderful Sunday x

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've loved bluejays since I was a little girl and did a project on birds in grade four, but haven't ever spotted any of your beautiful bluebirds. The black capped chickadee is also another favourite; it is so darn cute, isn't it!

    Your reno sounds very exciting, Pam! Can't wait to see pics of your progress!

    Happy Sunday!

    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  23. The bluebirds are so cute. We don't see them in our garden. Hope you get enyoy the extra hour of sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely October and November views and such beautiful little birds, Pam! The black-capped chickadee reminds very much our willow tits and they look indeed very friendly, whereas the great tits seem to bully each other and the smaller ones on the bird feeder.
    The house renovation sounds good. Decorating for Christmas will certainly be even more fun than usually. :)
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love your bird photos! The Eastern bluebirds are darling - I sure hope for you that next spring they will choose your bird houses as a good place to raise a family. It would be so nice to have them around and then see how the little ones take off. I like the ball feeder, I assume that it keeps out the squirrels. They usually hog the feeders here which is why I haven't put them out yet (and the birds still find a lot of food in the garden). I think I should get one of these and then the squirrels can have the other one... thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Pamela,

    The leaves may be gone but your feathered friends made up for it - lovely photos. I had to chuckle after reading the title and then seeing the photos - I had a flash back to an old rock group (you might remember).

    I trust you're making some before/after shots of the renovations - always great to look at after a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pam, I've never seen so many bluebirds in one place, how amazingly wonderful! You certainly do have an abundance of varied feathered visitors. Your renovations sound wonderful, too, I'm so envious. I'd love to gain a mudroom or foyer, but I will live vicariously through yours. Our remodeling funds have been sapped by the new septic system, unfortunately. I'm the same way, chocolate is my biggest vice. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW Pan - so many wonderful Blue birds!! Love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow - fabulous shots of birds and skies!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love to see the Bird shots...the Nuthatch is so hard to catch!
    I hope your Bluebirds come back to nest next Spring...I have never seen one.
    I also eat chips and ice cream...with butterscotch sauce...when Greg travels!😛
    He is retiring at the end of the year...should be interesting!
    Enjoy the rest of your week Pam...
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved having that extra hour last Saturday...one of my favorite days of the year! I turn my clock back in the early evening to make sure I "feel" that extra hour...lol! I can't believe all of those bluebirds you have! Oh my word...I haven't seen one since early spring and they never nested. When my hubby is working a 5 (or longer) day spread, I probably eat better than normal because I cook all of the yummy veggies that I like (and he doesn't) when he's not there. It sounds like your house is coming right along. Hopefully before Christmas I will have my new woods floors :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. i tend to snack a lot ... i try to snack in a good way. like nuts, fruits ... but sometimes i am terrible. i try to only keep goo snack around. suddenly the hubby is trying to do no sugar. we will see how that goes for him? gorgeous shots. love the sunset ones. such amazing moments. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  33. You captured the birds beautifully! (The beautiful birds!)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Just trying to catch up on some blog reading dear Pam and your post and pics are wonderful as always.. I can't wait to see your house.. So exciting.. xo

    ReplyDelete
  35. It's been much too long since I've popped by to visit your blog and I hope you're well. I didn't realize the chickadee was the bird of New Brunswick. They happily flit around my part of the country too. I wish I could spot some of those gorgeous bluebirds!

    Karen

    Karen

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...